Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

@PegGar16 I actually did go to rehab after my TKR as they couldn't get my pain controlled. I hated it, so checked out. I had PT and a home nurse come in regularly for a while after. But this isn't a revision I'm having, rather a clean-out and liner exchange. So, I don't know what to expect at all. I'm glad you're doing better and that you have help.
 
I went to transition care after the original rehab because I have 13 steps to the main floor of my ranch home. With the infection my OS wanted me in transition so he or his PAs could inspect my knee everyday. Transition care was just down the hall from the orthopedic center. Also my surgery was on Wednesday evening and the cultures weren't done growing until Saturday sometime. The PICC went in on Sunday while I was in transition. I also got pretty sick from the IV antibiotics at first. I went home the next Friday night only after promising I'd be at his office Monday morning. My revision dr was very conservative and I think my infection was serious. There was so much pus, the high fever, compromised soft tissue, and I was exhausted. I think it all depends on the infection and your dr.
 
I won't know if it's infected for around two weeks after the surgery, so will go home after a few days, I'm sure, unless he can somehow tell if it's infected while in there, but that doesn't seem likely. I think it'd still have to grow to tell what it is. I don't know really what's going to happen at all, but will be asking him about it next week. I do know the synovial fluid was cloudy, so who knows what's going on in there. You had a rough go of it, and I'm so glad it's behind you. I don't feel ill, just really tired, which is likely because I don't sleep well now. Bad knee! lol
 
Chances are they may put you on an IV antibiotic if they suspect there's an infection. I was on one, then they changed it when they knew what the infection was. That was all my ID.
 
I thought they'd wait until they knew exactly what it was to make sure an infection responded? I don't know though......
 
Once they take the cultures during surgery an antibiotic won't make an impact on the tissues used for the cultures. I was on an antibiotic right after surgery, then it was changed once they knew what the infection was. Originally, the IDs thought it was MRSA, but it wasn't. I wonder if the way tissue looks can indicate the type of infection, but I know the only way to be positive is grow cultures.
 
My doctors knew is was infected before the cultures came back. With all the other lab work (elevated WBC and others) and visual symptoms they did the wash out and exchange. They can also see it when they open the knee. I know I went home with the PICC and Vancomyacin before the cultures were back. If you think about it the really can't wait the additional 5 - 12 days for the positive ID or strain. Adjustments are made when the results come in.
 
I think if you have an acute early onset infection, that's true. But a late onset, low grade infection is different, so I don't know if they can see it while inside. My blood work isn't elevated, although they can see the synovial fluid is cloudy, but I don't know what that means. My symptoms are different than an acute infection; I have no fever and normal blood work. My knee is, however, quite swollen and very painful, so we know something is wrong. If I had an obvious acute infection, the response would have been different than with a suspected late onset low grade infection. I may not even have an infection, it could be a metal allergy as my LTT metal test came up positive for nickel allergy. I don't know much about all this though, I know just enough to be ignorant......lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB Hey, I probably already asked you this, or read it in your thread, but can't remember. When you had the washout/spacer exchange, did you need to elevate and ice a lot, or at all? I remember after my TKR I had problems with the ice pack falling off as I slept, or melting too quickly, so am wondering if I'll need to ice again after my surgery. If so, I may buy a cryo-cuff. Thanks, Kim
 
I didn't ice it as much as the original surgery simply because I didn't have as much pain or swelling. I was in an imbolizer and no bending, so after a week or so there was very little swelling. I did keep it up because it was just more comfortable.
After the imbolizer came off and I started bending. I iced after pt or heel slides because the swelling came back when I started bending again, even with non-aggressive bending. I had been able to do straight leg raises even with my imbolizer on, but I honestly did very little for the month after the wash out. I was exhausted and it took that long to recover from the infection, then to begin to build up my stamina again. I went back to work part time a month after the imbolizer came off, but 12 weeks after the original surgery. I came home in the afternoons to ice and elevate even at 12+ weeks.
 
Ok, thanks! I think I'll hold off on the cryo-cuff then. I may not need to ice much, but I can order it from Amazon and get it two days later if I need it after all.
 
Hello, lovetocookandsew! Hope all is better for you. My experiences with MRSA was where I had a low grade fever and lots of redness and swelling. Aspirations, blood cultures, and all did not show MRSA. But when they opened it up it was a different situation. Once the MRSA is no longer suppressed by antibiotics it can rapidly become life threatening for some. Mine was that way. My fevers would easily spike to 104 and a little higher. I am at home now, awaiting my next surgery. Not only did I have an immobilizer but he put an antibiotic rod along with spacers in my leg. Icing has helped with pain relief. I find automatic responses just occur naturally with my body wanting the knee to bend for stress relief. That just isn't going to happen. Ice is good for pain relief too. At night I some long velcro straps I use to keep ice in place on my leg. That is easy to try. Hugs go out to you in all your efforts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Karri: sent you a response to your response through my own recovery thread.
Will you see it on you own thread automatically, even though I posted you back on my thread, or should I manually post my message to you on your thread?
Newbie tkr
 
@KarriB
Just checking in to see how you are...you're been such an instrumental part of my recovery. I do hope you're doing well.
 
@Newbie tkr I'm doing well, I did answer/respond on your thread a few days ago, but I always receive an alert when someone writes on my thread. My BFF is painting a few rooms in my home this weekend and I'm gofering. Going for supplies, light, water, food, etc. but will roll some walls today. She's trying to save my left knee until after our annual summer vacation. She's a GREAT friend who had her own TKR 4 years ago and will need a revision one day.

So my TKR is just fine 2 1/2 years later and my left knee is :tantrum: . But until I get through my last few months of teaching and summer I'm holding off on a LTKR. Plus, I had such a huge complication with my RTKR getting the left done totally scares me!

Even though I wasn't on BoneSmart at the time if my TKR, I refused to do anything that caused pain (probably because I'm a wuss). I watched my PTs to make sure no one pushed or touched my knee. When they had me doing squats two weeks out and there was pain, I said, nope and moved onto the next exercise. After my 2nd surgery I went to a different PT group who never pushed and waited 4 months before strength exercises. So listen to your knee, if it hurts, don't do it.

And thank you, Di, I'm glad I could help!
 
Hi Karri - You're retiring soon... about a month away? I'm so happy for you! You've been such a big help and support for me these past months, and I feel fortunate to have connected with you. Take good care.
 
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Julie! I hope your new TKR is going "swimmingly" with little swelling and pain. I am getting excited about retirement! Thirty-eight years is a long time, the most time I ever took off was with my TKR, so I'm looking forward to traveling in the fall and winter instead of only in the summer. And I won't have to worry about sick days or substitutes when I decide to do the left knee. I also plan to swim every afternoon at the local Y!
Retiring from PA public schools is hard work, though, I've been spending a lot of time learning about it, going to meetings, and just when I think I'm done, something else pops up! But I'll be keeping track of your recovery this time around too!
 
Back
Top Bottom