Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

I hope so. She is a single mom with my disabled grandson and a teen daughter (that's enough right there lol) and is trying to keep up with job. That's why I've been taking my grandson to therapy in Atlanta.
I admire your dedication to those kids. Kids need good role models these days.
 
That is great news! Teaching is a tough job these days. My sister-in-law retired last year and she does some tutoring here and there when she needs her teacher fix:)
 
You've really affected so many youngsters lives. Teaching is a very difficult job and I congratulate you for so many years of dedication. My father was a career high school teacher and my siblings and I all were teachers at some point of our lives and know how difficult it can be.
 
It's just not in me at this point. How many people can say they worked at one place for 35 years?

This means you'll be done at the end of this school year then?

That's an amazing "run"!

~Julie
 
My husband called it quits at 39 years and has never regretted it. Congratulations on your retirement. Well-deserved.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
KarrieB. Congratulations on your decision to retire. Teaching is a wonderful career that takes a special type of person. It sounds like you need to make a decision that is best for you. When blue cross offered early retirement my boss really tried to get me to stay on. Ultimately I had to choose what was right for me.

I am glad to hear your father is doing better. When a family member has health issues, it's difficult. My husband has many and it's a constant worry. I find my faith helps me to handle things better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been praying about this decision and have no doubt it is the right one. Thank you everyone for your kind words. My career has been about teaching children the love of reading and I hope I've accomplished that for some students. We were offered a very nice retirement package that will cover my health insurance for the next six years. I also have a pension that will go into effect in June (as long as I get all the paperwork done). I am very happy with my decision and been smiling constantly!

@tigz yes, this will be my last year. I'm down to 76 days until June 8th, our last day.

@newlybionic I already have people wanting me to tutor, but I may want to do nothing (read and swim) for a while.
 
Congratulations on your decision to retire! Your dedication is admirable, but there comes a time when you deserve to take time for you. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that you will find that you will be as busy as you WANT to be in retirement! You may have to start standing in front of a mirror and practicing THE word, "NO!"
You obviously are a loving, caring, nurturing person, teacher and friend. That will never change.
 
When I first retired I was bored so took a part time job at our local hospital. It was great until they started scheduling me for 10 days in a row. Then I became a volunteer which was fine until my knee and hipds started bothering me. Now, after 13 years of retirement I wonder how I got everything done when I was working. LOL

It sounds like you loved teaching and will probably miss it, but take time to focus on you, getting your health restored and doing things you never had the time to do while working.

I enjoy reading your posts and all the others as well. We each have our stories to tell. I had my surgery in September and still have some pain. However, it's nothing I can't handle. I still ice every evening, and started elevating it for a hour as well. I do think we all start doing to much as soo as we begin to feel better. It's a woman thing....
 
I am so happy to know that you are at peace with the decision you have made with God's guidance. You are an amazing woman that has touched so many young lives through a classroom filled with books. I can't wait to see where God leads you next!
 
Foot specialist confirmed plantar fasciitis in my TKR foot. I go to pt for an evaluation on Monday with a script for 4-6 weeks of pt. I'm looking forward to a summer without heel pain.
 
Ouch! Pt will help get you in shape for the beginning of your retirement:) I used to freeze a water bottle and roll it with my foot to help with the pain. I'm so thankful for my orthotics.
 
Karri, I pray you get quick relief from the PF! You are going to be so busy when you retire, you need to be in tip top shape! :loveshwr:
 
Congratulations on your impending retirement. Wonderful benefits package you are getting.
Hopefully the plantar fasciaitis will resolve quickly with treatment. Smiled at you counting down the days until school is over!
 
It would be much easier to do the therapy after school is out, because it's quite a trek to my text office from work, but I want this taken care of as soon as possible. Thanks for your good wishes! Compared to TKR this is nothing, however my left knee is bad and my right foot, so walking in general is painful. The kids are pushing me to get this taken care of before our summer vacation.

Biggest issue is my favorite ice cream place is in the same parking lot as my ortho/pt office. :bignono:
 
Hello @KarriB!
I feel like one of your students coming back to visit...remember me?:heehee:

Funny, today is the first time I came to visit some of the other areas of bonesmart as I am interested in understanding other people's stories from all levels. I'm usually on the post-hip surgery area but took a walk to explore the pre-hip then the knee surgery area.

You were one of the first people I met when I first joined bonesmart because we are/were fighting infections, your's in the knee, mind in my hip. Thankfully, I am coming to the end of this, I hope and pray, as my spacer should be removed March 22 and new hip installed.

But, here I see you have made the big decision to retire from teaching! Congratulations on your decision and may your future journey ahead be filled with new and exciting adventures that you truly deserve after all you've been through! I have many friends and know many young adults who are teachers, and they are saddened by the deterioration of our educational system at the expense of our children.

Thank you for teaching our children! Enjoy your much deserved retirement! And, thank you for shining the light towards this site when I desperately needed guidance, help and support!:flwrysmile:

I will go back to acquaint myself with your story again, but I believe the infection is gone? Are you waiting to have another knee operation?

Blessings for continued good health!
Cheers for a wonderful retirement!
 
@keepmovin , I'm so happy to hear the spacer will becoming out soon! Doesn't it feel as though you can begin living again? My infection has been gone for a while, although I'm still on antibiotics as added insurance. I'm holding off on my left knee right now. It's not as painful as the right and I don't want to leave my last class in the hands of a substitute, I'd like to be with them till I'm done. I can't believe what has happened to public education in a few short years, I barely recognize my school. What was once a district who put children first, is now a district that revolves around money. I feel terrible for young teachers, my niece is one and her eyes have been opened as to how schools have changed since she was in school. I will admit, it is an absolute disappointment and played a part in my decision to retire.

My dad fell, broke his hip and needed a hip replacement in November, so I was on the hip side often during that time. He is doing well and continues to do his exercises because he can't tie his shoes in the middle of the shoe, only off to the side. Oh my!

I hope and pray all goes well with the final stage of your revision. What does your infectious disease dr. say about continued antibiotics?

Thank you for your kind words! March 22 will be here before you know it!
 
I'm glad you have a plan for PT to help you work through the PF. I hope it brings you some relief soon. I think if your ice cream shop is near the PT office you deserve to stop at least once a week!:heehee:
 
@KarriB, I read your thread and now recall your story with the antibiotics. First, sorry to hear about your recent problem with your foot, plantar fasciitis. My husband ruptured his a few years ago and I remember it took quite some time to heal. He still has occasional flare ups but is able to keep it under control. He also has very big feet - size 14!! Also very sorry to read about your Dad. It's very difficult to comfort our parents when they begin to lose their independence and this is complicated further when their health is affected. I see this in my own aging parents. Hopefully, he eventually regains his full health and healthy hips soon!

Regarding your continued use of the antibiotics, I will let you know what my surgeon/ID Dr. says about the need for further antibiotics. I'm not on any right now and haven't been for 6 weeks now. I don't think they plan on putting me back on them. I see you have been on your antibiotics for 2 years now. I thought antibiotics lose their efficacy after a while which is why Drs. will switch patients onto a different one if a patient is on them long term. This is what happen to me. Perhaps you are cleared of any infection by this time. I guess this is something to take up with your ID Dr. next time you see him.

Regardless, I will certainly ask questions about this with you in mind.:)

Blessings,
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom