Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

We were due to visit NYC for the first time about 8 years ago when my PF developed. I was dreading the trip cos I could hardly stand, let alone walk around sightseeing for hours on end. A friend told me that PF responds really well to electroacupuncture. I had tried gels, insoles, creams, NSAIDs, massage.... Everything I could think of for months and nothing had worked. 3 acu treatments and it was gone forever!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If the pt doesn't work, I'll be looking for a electroacuputurist. I was in NYC a month ago and managed to walk a few blocks, but ended up in a taxi.
 
Thanks, Celle, I totally think my PF came from knee or leg pain which is what the diagram suggests. The back of my calf is so tight that when I stretch my foot while in bed there is pain in my calf. My dr gave me stretches to do and I have a full pt evaluation Monday. I'm going to the same group I went to for my knee because they were so good, even though they are really far from my work. I'm just excited to think that I may have less or no pain in a few months. So weird, that even when it doesn't hurt, it feels numb.
 
Hi KarriB. I finally read your whole thread. Wow-you have been through a lot! I'm hoping and praying when the time comes and you get your left knee done, that it's all smooth sailing. Congratulations on your retirement! I agree with you on the state of our public schools. While I'm glad my kids are all past that age, I'm saddened my grandkids are living through this time when schools are not what they used to be. I've had PF in the past and I remember it's no picnic. I did eventually get over it though, and I hope you soon get that behind you also. It seems like you had to go to a rehab facility after your spacer exchange? I went to one after my TKR and absolutely hated it-so much so that I refused to stay and went home before they wanted me to. It did mean I had different problems but at least I was in my own home as I went through them all. It'll be nice when this knee lets me sleep all night again. Anyway, take care!
 
@lovetocookandsew I wasn't on BS at the time of my TKR, but God was good. I am thankful for my experience because I did learn so much, but at the same time I'd rather have a LTKR with no issues! So that'll be my prayer also. I was in the hospital's Transition Care Unit which was just down the hall and through a set of doors from the ortho unit. The transition unit really just cared for surgical patients who had been in the hospital, there were many surgical patients, so my care was very different from many rehabs. I was bored, but had excellent care from nurses, pt, OT, aides and my doctors were already in the hospital therefore it was no problem for them to see me there. I was happy to get home, but we were so thankful for the care I received while there that I went back a three months later with boxes of candy for everyone. I believe there should be rehabs or specific floors within rehabs to care for surgical patients. Unfortunately, because of insurance issues between the two major hospital/insurance groups in Pittsburgh I can't go back to that hospital.

Had my first pt for the PF. The therapist was amazed that my right foot with PF has better flexibility than my left, but I think that's because I've been stretching it. So I'm going to do the stretches with both feet. Most of what they'll do for me at therapy is ASTYM. They did use this on my knee scar two years ago, so I hope it hurtles the process along. I guess it's not just TKRs that have a hard time with patience!

https://astym.com/
 
KarriB, I just love what I learn here at Bone Smart. I too am worry about the bend after the immobilizers are all gone. I will keep in mind what you have said. I really want to work at getting all my ROM in order. It would be so nice to alternate feet on stairs. Thanks for sharing, I will keep the hope alive!
 
.... Looking up astym.
How's your PF today?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Interesting.
That looks almost identical to Guasha. A traditional Chinese medicine technique that is used in acupuncture clinics.

Have a look at guasha.com
A rose by any other name ....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'll have to look at guasha. Had some new stretches for me, ASTYM, laser therapy and a wonderful massage on my entire right leg and hip!
 
Hi. I had a PRP injection for patella tendonitis on Tuesday and during my extensive research before the procedure I read a few times that it can help treat PF. It's waaaaay too soon for me to know if it's helped me but I'll keep my thread updated over the next few weeks. Hope all good with you otherwise.
 
@Raffs I've been reading your thread, Lynn. I'm not sure how I'd do with that kind of needle in my foot. I shudder to think of it! I hope it works for you and my pt works for me! It's only been 2 sessions so far, but lots of stretching at home too. I'll be reading your thread to see how it goes. Thanks for the info!
 
When is your official last day of school? I hope you have some nice plans for this summer to enjoy yourself after all you've gone through the last few years.
 
Thanks, Marian and @Wanttobebiking . I am planning another trip to NYC in June, our annual beach trip with all the kids in July and I'd like to do the beach again in late September when no one is there. I'm rejoining my local ymca so I can swim all winter again. It just got so tiring to get swimming stuff together, swim, come home and shower then do school work after teaching a whole day. So now I can just make that part of daily afternoon routine.
My last day is June 8th. I teach in a rural farming school district and years ago kids would need to leave school for prom at lunch, but no one had cars to drive back and forth. So kids drove their tractors. It became a tradition and now we have a tractor parade (our district is all on one campus). A while ago they added another tradition, the retiring faculty members ride a tractor also! Sometimes the tractor pulls a hay wagon and the teachers ride the hay wagon in the parade with the entire student body and faculty waving signs and posters. May 13th is Tractor Day.
 
Karri, this tradition sounds like so much fun! Do you wear certain clothes for this? June 8th will be here before you know it!
 
Last year PTO sold tractor tee shirts with our school name and the tractor company. They were all the color of the particular tractor company. I'm not an expert on tractors so I chose my favorite color, but apparently each company sports its own colors such as John Deere and it's green/yellow. But I'm not always comfortable in tee shirts do I'll try to wear something nice.
 
@KarriB I'm replying to your comment on another thread.....Ugh....22 days in the transition/rehab area after the infection washout? I either missed that in your thread, or it didn't hit me. I was thinking I'd be in 3 days at most. I'm having the same procedure, as you know, except we don't yet know if it's infected or if it's a metal allergy. I don't know what will end up happening but know that I don't want to go to a rehab or stay more than a few days.
 
@lovetocookandsew I'm not sure who goes to rehab. I've read (here) that there are some that go right after there TKR. I have never gone to rehab, just straight home with home PT for 4 weeks. I am lucky that there are no stairs in my house and I had my husband so I was not on my own.
 
Back
Top Bottom