Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

That's why they're called "accidents"! But I understand where he's coming from.

My grandfather died before I was born of a massive MI. He'd had a history of heart problems. When my father reached that age of 64 and so many months, he started saying he was living on borrowed time! He managed to live 40 years longer!

~Julie
 
It was an accident, but the punch in the gut was that my dad had promised he wouldn't get up on a ladder again. In truth he had been up on one all summer, completing his to do list. The fall was the last item on his list, this is what he kept repeating in the ER. Luckily we have had no snow, but we need to get someone to their house before my dad gets out there to shovel. It'll be a race! :running:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Karri, I am sorry your Dad is still not feeling well/satisfied. Is he going to PT? I imagine he really is feeling his mortality since his Dad died under similar circumstances. He is in my prayers.

I never ask you - how are you doing? Do you still have to treat for infection or worry about it? You are a remarkable woman and I appreciate you.
 
You're so kind, Janis! He's doing much better and in my opinion is ahead of schedule, it's just not back to normal, which is what he wants.
I'm doing great, except for my pesky left knee that I can't bring myself to get done. I had shots in November and it feels a bit better. Every year I say I'll get it done this spring (so I don't have to go back after a sub has been in my place), but then I think it's not painful enough to get it done.
I do still take 100mg of doxycycline once a day to keep the infection at bay. I see my infectious disease dr once a year now and she always pleased with my labs. I think the doxycycline is a crutch of sorts, I'm scared to death of the infection coming back and having to have the knee taken out. This fear makes me feel unfaithful. I should trust that He took care of the infection, but I take my doxycycline every day.
It's been two years in January since I started on the doxycycline. Before that I was one IV and oral antibiotics. The oral, rafapim would turn the liquid in body red/pink right after I took it, then would wear off as the day progressed. Usually it was just my urine. I was on both antibiotics for 6 weeks until my body stopped making white cells. My white count was so low I was in the house or wearing a mask to go to Drs. appt/hospital to keep me safe from infection. It took a week or two, but eventually my body kicked back in and started producing white cells again. I also had chronic diarrea for quite a while, so I know a little of how you feel. Pardon me if I've told you all this before. I honestly can't remember!
We have all had very different and sometimes very difficult recoveries. I wish I had known about BS at the time of my TKR, but I always feel that if I could battle through, almost anyone can. I had never had a surgery or hospital procedure before my TKR. My friends and family joke that when I do something I do it big!
 
Karri, don't think you should feel unfaithful. I taught a college age Sunday School class once, and the topic of "Why bad things happen to good people?" Came up - as it always does. One very wise young man said "God lets things happen to good people so they can show others how to get through them." Wow. I had never really thought of it that way. You are a testimony to courage and faith. God has placed you on this board and in different places in your life to help others see that you can recover and live a good life. The antibiotic is not a crutch, it is a tool that has been given to you in order to keep the infection at bay. There are many different tools that we use in our lives - some tangible and some intangible. God has placed your doctor and all of her tools in your life and is caring for you in this way. Just think what a blessing it is that you have been able to take the antibiotic and keep the infection at bay. God is now using you to help others- what an honor and privilege to be such a comfort and blessing to someone. You are a blessing to me.

I can see where you would be terrified to go through that again. I have not had nearly as tough a time as you, and I cannot imagine doing this again - if I had to. I am sorry you had the intestinal troubles. It really wears you down! Talk about energy drain. AND....my feelings are if anything is worth doing, you might as well do it BIG and with GLORY! My father used to say "never do anything half a.." If we did, we had to do it over. So, be proud of your triumphant feats! You earned the right to brag! :loveshwr::curtsey::egypdance:
 
Thank you, Janis! I am weeping as I type. I did feel I had the problems I did to teach me and bring glory to Him. When the infection began to heal my dr wanted to know what I was doing differently and I replied "praying differently", Dr. P replied, "well keep praying". I couldn't have gotten through any of it without Christ and the prayers of so many. I thank Him everyday for bringing me through everything. You are so kind to encourage me when you're feeling so bad yourself.
 
@KarriB , could you tell me how you prayed differently? As I was doing my devotion last night, I thought of you and how things turned around. I am still waiting for my "turnaround". My symptoms (that is the polite way we decided to say diarrhea -:heehee:) continue and the Flagyl is causing me to have terrible headaches at night. Like someone stabbing me all over in the head. It frightens me enough that I want to stop the antibiotic, but then I worry if I had C-Diff, I would not be defeating it. I stepped out of the shower this morning and my good leg's foot had a sharp pain and now IT hurts! This is getting embarrassing. I selfishly pray for myself as I pray for others. It just seems my prayers are going unheard. Then, I read or hear of other's problems and realize how little I have to complain about.

I hope things are well with your soul today.
 
@KarriB
About feeling unfaithful: my grandmother had a saying, "Trust in God, but row for the shore."
To me, that means that God is there for you, but you have to do your bit, too.
And that's what you're doing, by taking the antibiotics etc. You could look at the antibiotics as a tool that God provided for you.
 
I had never had a surgery or hospital procedure before my TKR. My friends and family joke that when I do something I do it big!

I was only saying to my husband yesterday that TKR would be a really tough op for someone who has never had any kind of op before. I've had a few and have overcome many of the unpleasant bits before, so I know things get better in time. For you to have had complications in addition to the "norm", must have been really hard and very frightening at times. :console2:
 
@Celle i love you're grandmother's saying, will remember it and use it!

@Kelpie it was scary, but I learned so much!

@Timetolive while I had been praying almost nonstop after being diagnosed with the infection, it was a Monday appt with Dr. P that made us rethink things. My incision was still seeping a lot, Dr. P was very concerned, stating that we may be looking at another surgery for Wednesday (that would've been Christmas Eve) and he could do another washout or take out my knee and put in an antibiotic spacer. I cried in the exam room and Dr. P left to check his schedule, (he really didn't handle me crying very well-he had told me in the hospital I would be in transition care for a week or two and stared at his feet while I wept) my friend who driven me talked about how and where I would recuperate with a spacer because I would only be allowed toe weight and with 13 stairs to climb to the main floor, my home would be nearly impossible. Dr. P came back in and said he would see me Thursday, Dec. 26, we'd make a decision that day and he could do the surgery Friday. I think he wanted to give me Christmas because Thanksgiving had been in the hospital.
My friend (Susan) and I stopped for lunch and before we even ordered sat down to begin praying. We prayed that the medicine would do it's job and go right to the infection. One problem for me is that I have heavy legs with a lot of fatty tissue. Fatty tissue doesn't have as many veins (whatever) to carry the medicine to the infection. I also prayed that if a spacer was what God wanted that I'd be able to deal with it. So we prayed specifically, where as before I had just prayed to be healed. I also put out a Facebook post asking everyone to pray and what to pray for exactly and a global e-mail to my school asking for the same thing. I am very transparent individual, long before it became the "in" word. I claimed a verse every time I prayed and used it in my FB posts, Ephesians 3:20 "He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think according to His power". I prayed a lot, almost hourly and when I'd wake up in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep, I prayed then. Facebook as huge and I kept people updated there as well.
Each day from Monday until Thursday the seeping was less. On Christmas Day morning it was down to 2 spots, one the size of a quarter and another the size of a dime. Three days before the bandage was soaked through and I was changing it several times a day. Thursday morning came with my 8:00 appt with Dr. P and my bandage was clean, not a spot of pus. I believe we "rowed to shore, the Lord and I". In those three days I had come to accept that if I needed another surgery that it as God's plan and I could do it. But the seeping at stopped and didn't start again. Dr. P was shocked and as I said before asked what I was doing differently and he encouraged us (Susan and my dad were there) to continue to pray, told me I could shower and take the imbolizer off when I was elevating.

So now I had a Christmas miracle and proclaimed it to everyone who I asked to pray. My knee totally changed in 4 days. Two years later I still get very emotional thinking of what happened, it was clearly God's hand and I learned so much. So there's the long answer to your question. God is good all the time.
 
Karrie you are a strong woman, and your faith is amazing. Remember that God gives us trials in our lives as opportunities to learn, grow, and believe. I'm glad things are improving for both you and your father. It's very hard for older men to give up the things they have been able to do all their lives.

I will lift you both up in prayer. Sounds like others are praying as well. I hope 2016 will bring you improved health.

Mary ann


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Blueslady the post above was what happened to me two years ago answering Janis's question. I'm doing great! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my dad, too. He's just impatient for things to be normal.
 
I am praying for you, Janis. It's been a long 2 months for you and I know you just want normal again. My experience came because I needed to learn some very important lessons about myself, my faith and my God. I thank Him everyday and wouldn't change my experience because I learned so much. I also try to take a hard look at myself daily (I sometimes get busy and don't remember) and be sure that I'm living the lessons I learned and that change is still happening in my heart.
 
Karrie I am so impressed with your attitude and your faith. I struggle daily to be a better person, to accept the trials God has chosen to give me and to be thankful for my many blessings. I sometimes give into the pity fair that seems to sit in my shoulder, but for the most part I'm grateful


Blessings to,you and yours


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sometimes it's harder to watch and care for those you love who are suffering. I'm sorry to hear your husband is sick and will add him to my prayers. My best friend has had cancer for 20+ years, when I got sick our positions were reversed. She has a wonderful husband who understood the time she spent helping me and we both came to understand each other's positions as care giver and patient.
 
He's doing well, Marian, thank you for checking on him. Over Christmas I begged him to not try to shovel when we got snow and arranged for a young man to shovel. Then yesterday when we got our first real snowfall I was so concerned with the roads and work I forgot! Thank heavens my friend, whose son was going to shovel thought of it and called my parents. Turns out my dad has decided he's too worried about falling to try and shovel and waited patiently. Then we had a neighbor snowblowthe drive before my friend's got there. So that was great!
I'm doing ok, trying to take off some more weight to put less pressure on my knee, but not having great success. I'm so tired when I get home there's no energy for exercising.

I hope you haven't been outside shoveling snow with that bum knee!
 
Karri, it is great to hear you Dad is finally realizing his limitations. How much snow did you get? We so rarely get snow, it is a big deal. We usually get ice.

I am sorry you are so tired. I cannot imagine teaching all day! I haven't gotten out of the energy drain from surgery yet - that or I am just getting incredibly lazy! :rotfl: I am so tired too and I don't do 1/4 of what you do! Losing weight is hard. Very hard - especially when you are limited physically. I aggravated with Time Warner cable AGAIN today - to no avail. I hope you have a nice evening!
 
I'm glad he's doing well. I'm sure you are tired after teaching a whole day. It takes a lot to hold the attention of little ones. There's no shoveling for me. I have someone who plows when I get 5 or more inches of snow. So far I haven't needed it yet as we are devoid of any real snow in the Poconos this year.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom