Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

That degree of stiffness doesn't sound unusual at this point in his recovery. Keep in mind that he has the trauma of the injury, in addition to his surgery. He has a lot to recover from. I realize that it may be hard for him to be patient with that though.
 
:merry christmas: your dad sounds just feisty and stubborn enough to have a great recovery. I love your Piper Scout. If I could keep up with border collies I'd get two and name them Jem and Scout!
 
Kari---I am so sorry, I was reading page 1 or 2 of your thread and saw that you wanted the name of your thread changed. Then, after I realized that you might not want it changed now, I could not remember the name of the thread!! It is hard to be old. Anyway, if you will just tag me---just type @skigirl and that will tag me, I will change your thread back if you will tell me what you want it to be. Sorry to be just so helpful when you did not need help!!! Glad your dad is doing well, I think the bending restrictions are for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Your dad sounds hard core, but he does not want to dislocate the hip---at least I hope he is scared enough of that.
 
@KarriB So it's about 5 weeks since surgery? That would be awfully early to tie shoes on either leg. Having enough flexibility to bend over to tie shoes comfortably can take a while. Is it the operated leg he can't tie the shoe on, or the other leg? Sounds like there might be some soft tissue impediment, which may just take more time to resolve. And is he trying to bend over from standing up? Or from a sitting position? I eased into putting on shoes and cutting toenails while sitting several months along (definitely took longer than 5 weeks). But it was a long long time till I could bend over from standing up to do much of anything.

Sharon
 
is it normal for a hip replacement to not be able to bend? I know he's not supposed to, but my dad says he can't bend to tie his left shoe. But can do his right.
Totally normal. At 5 weeks it's probably too early to attempt this. Is he on any restrictions. Best to wait until he is released from restrictions and then start as Sharon describes - from a sitting position just gently bending or lifting the foot toward the torso. This can take some time.
 
Thanks everyone! He does have a no bending restriction. But my very stubborn, independent dad is worried because he can't bend to tie his shoes. Someone is always there to do it for him, but he's afraid this ability will be gone forever. It is his THR leg he can't bend to tie and even though I felt it was too early, I wanted to check here to be sure. @sharonslp my dad is trying from a sitting position even though he knows the restriction because he can't bend as opposed to not being allowed. He is also complaining that this hip is a harder recovery than his two TKRs, but I think that's due to the fall and break of the femoral head that lead to the THR. I will pass this information on to my dad! Thanks again for your speedy responses! I knew I could count on BS for answers!
 
@skigirl the title of my thread is One Good Leg, thanks so much! Too many titles to remember I'm sure!
 
but he's afraid this ability will be gone forever.
Nearly every new hippie can not do this just post op. But what seems impossible one day is easy the next. Just give it time.
He is also complaining that this hip is a harder recovery than his two TKRs
Literally every joint replacement is different - even on the same person. If you look at my recovery threads they were like night and day. He is only 5 weeks out - patience is prescribed.
 
@Jaycey I believe the fact that he's two years older than his last TKR, plus the fact that he fell (actually was caught doing what he had promised he would not) has played into the difficulty of the THR. I just got off the phone relaying this information to my dad as well as patience. He has to remember it's only 5 weeks and he has the whole seroma experience which led to day/night in the hospital. My dad said he definitely doesn't want the hip to dislocate because he's heard how painful that is and he has never felt pain as bad as he felt when he broke it. Thanks again!
 
I hope your dad keeps feeling better everyday. I know how hard it is to deal with a very stubborn father. I just got off the phone with my dad and he has finally decided not to drive anymore. He is 90, forgetful and can barely walk. I'm glad that he made this decision because there was no way we could have just taken his keys away.
 
My mother was a menace when she was driving, but it was her means of independence. When she fractured her femur, I finally persuaded her to give up driving, as she lived near a school. I told her I was worried that her leg wouldn't be strong enough again to be able to do an emergency stop and she would never forgive herself if she hit a child.
 
it sounds like things will be improving. My dad would get psychotic when he had to take antibiotics. It was a nightmare when he had to go to the hospital.
 
Thanks so much Julie and Marian. My dad's pt says he's doing great. My dad is disappointed at how long it's taking. He's six weeks out, so I keep reminding him how long it can take to feel normal. My mom says he's very tired, but again I know that's normal also.
 
He's also very impatient and feeling guilty that he caused this, @tigz . His dad died after a fall at the same age, 84, so he's feeling his age and mortality.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom