Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Thanks for the kind "birthday" wishes! I wish I had known about BS 2 years ago, but I guess I've made up for it time wise.
@bahamamama610 they say there's no way to tell what caused the infection. I even thought it could've been due to a nasty cut I got 4 months before surgery, but the ID just shrugged her shoulders and said there's no way to know when I asked. The OS who did the original TKR came to visit me in rehab and seemed truly distressed about it. My revision dr didn't think the infection was down to my bone so that's why he did a wash out surgery instead of an antibiotic spacer.
The incision never saw the light of day for two weeks after surgery when the staples came out. I drove myself crazy trying to figure out what caused the infection and finally had to realize that it didn't matter and it wasn't anything I could do about it.
 
Have you tried injections yet? If they work, they help to ease the pain for a bit, but in the end a TKR is the only way to be pain free. Many over weight people get TKRs, you just need to find the right dr. and one that does a lot of TKRs.
The one who did my surgery, wasn't my first OS. I had been going to someone else and never liked him or his bedside manner. I went looking for someone else.
 
Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks into the three week shots to tell a difference. I make sure to ice my knee on days I get a shot. But when my right knee finally decided to breath it's last breath I got a cortisone shot, but it did nothing at all, so a month later I scheduled the TKR.
I would look for another surgeon who would could help you. Can you ride an exercise bike or is there too many ch pain?
 
I was still teaching right up until the day before surgery, but I couldn't walk the grocery store due to the pain. Walking is a big part of TKR recovery.
 
Again happy birthday to your 2-year-old knee. I am sure the kids were very curious about your explanation about the difference between your age and your knee's age!! So glad all is going well.
 
Thanks,all! @wberry any tightness is totally gone. ROM is better than natural knee, most noticeable while putting socks on or giving myself a pedicure. Extension is better also, some times it feels almost hyper extended compared to my natural knee. No swelling in the knee, just that crazy pocket of whatever that's on the inside of my calf. During the washout surgery my revision doc said this lump I had was a pocket of dead fat (never heard of dead fat), anyway he cleaned it out and for the month I was in the imbolizer the lump was gone. I had a very skinny leg! As soon as I started working the leg/knee the lump began to come back and bigger than before. For a while I worried it was full of infection, but my labs say otherwise. Oh what we worry about! Hope you're doing well! You seem to be moving around nicely.
 
Well, it happened, I fell outside on my concrete patio today. The temps are in the 40s with 20 mph winds, so I was outside picking up my patio furniture that had blown all over the yard and started to stack it. I tripped over the hose and down I went. Of course, I screamed (I'm a known screamer) and immediately looked around to see if a neighbor had seen me fall. If it hadn't been so cold/windy I may have just laid down on the patio, but I got up with the help of chairs and my left knee which was grinding away. I did manage to land on my left side and am hurting now. I did wonder what would happen if I couldn't get up, it could've been hours until someone was looking for me. All's well, though.
:gaah:
 
I'm not sure what to ice, everything hurts now.
 
Oh, it hurts to imagine how that must have felt! Cold and concrete. Ouch! I guess your survival instinct kicked in. I would have been tempted to roll in a ball and wait for Spring. You will be moving slowly for a few days I bet, but very much hope that the brief scare is the worst of it. You need a good hot toddy.
 
Karri, I'm sorry to hear about you falling. I hope you're feeling a little better by this morning. That wind on Thursday and Friday was really something.

You reminded me of something that happened couple of winters ago.

I was at work, and a few houses down the street, the neighbor lady had gone out to retrieve her garbage can from the end of her driveway. It was one of those mornings we'd had a little bit of freezing rain though, and her driveway was coated with just a thin layer of ice. I didn't see it happen, but she slipped, and landed on her bum. When I turned her direction, she was just sitting there on the ground. I swear, my thought process was exactly, "Gee. This is kind of odd weather to be sitting out on the driveway..." :chinstroke:

(I did get it figured out, and walked down to help her up.)
 
Ever since my TKR falling is a huge fear of mine. @Slainte I did think about laying down, but it was too cold and my dramatic side thought of people who are found out in the cold. I was only steps from my house though, but getting up off the ground is a struggle because kneeling is not fun. But I knelt on my left and bent with my RTKR. I've decided I need to practice other ways of getting off the ground.
@XKV8R the wind was unbelievable which is why my patio furniture was all over the back yard. I had worked until 8:00pm Thursday and wasn't going out in the black night to gather the chairs so I waited until Friday after school. Can't imagine falling out there in the night.
Not too sore this morning, I've been popping Tylenol, just some achy knees.
 
I'm sorry about your fall, @KarriB , but glad that you didn't do any serious harm.

Take things quietly now, and pamper yourself until the aches and pains fade.
 
:groan:Oh,Karri! I'm so sorry about your fall! I've had one fall and a near miss so I know the feeling! Take it easy for a few days/ the weekend so you'll feel back to the new you on Monday! You are now a bona fide member of @SarahJane and my "Dance til you Drop" Club ( an outgrowth of the ODIC! ) Stay safe! Hugs!
 
Wow. Karri, I am glad that you fell on your non-operated side. How scary! Not to mention undignified. Hope you're feeling all-in-one-piece and spend the rest of the weekend relaxing.
 
Ouch for the fall. Glad you're (mostly) okay.

I get up and down with a version of planking and downward facing dog. It ain't pretty, but it works.




Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm sorry you fell and I hope your stiffness goes away.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
Y
October 29, 2015, Spacers
 
Jean, I think that's what I need to practice. In the past when I'd fallen (pre-TKR) that's how I got up, but I haven't tried that yet.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom