Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Oh my Sonja! That's just terrible! I'm glad it is under control for you and hope for those kids also. Even though I didn't have MRSA I wasn't go back to teaching until the infection was under control and the PICC line was out. I just thought too much to could happen. My family was adament about that as well.
 
Why was he even allowed to continue with children while infected? I can't believe they got mad at you. The school has the obligation to protect the students and staff when they know of a serious medical infection amongst them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A corrupt principal will get away with anything! The man that had MRSA continues to teach and continues to have outbreaks on his face!:scare:
 
Sounds like you are one of quite a few of us who are now contemplating having our other knees done. You know we'll all be sending you every good wish and hope that when you do decide to go ahead you don't have any problems this time. Hope the injections help to hold off the decision just a little longer.
 
Thanks, @Raffs , my left knee is becoming more painful. I absolutely don't want to have it done before spring because of teaching. I felt that I let parents down the last time because first grade is the year our kids learn to read and a substitute doesn't really cut it. By May they've learned so much and could get away with a substitute. But I really don't want to have it done at all. I keep telling myself it will probably be totally different, but I was doing pretty well until the infection.
Aside from the first 24 hours I don't remember there being a lot of pain. Discomfort, stiffness, tight band feeling, no sleep but the thought of it just scares me all over again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I can understand why you are nervous, but like everyone says, no two knees are the same! I think it is safe to say that the second one will be totally different and chances are it will be better than the last, no?

Learning how to do the whip kick all over again.
 
Yes, I think my Drs will be pro-active when the time comes. I believe it's just that surgery fear. I was petrified the first time. I was the first surgery of the day, so the hospital was empty. My BFF drove me, a nurse took me back to pre-op and would come into give me directions. Every time a nurse left I'd start singing (quietly I thought) Great is Thy Faithfulness, it calmed me and helped me to pray. Well, apparently I could be heard, the staff thought I was having a break down and sent my parents and friend into pre-op.
The day I scheduled the TKR I cried while answering all the questions. The nurse taking the report kept saying that I didn't have to have the surgery, my BFF who was with me and sitting across the room replied that I did NEED to have the surgery. She knows what a baby I am and how small my knee had made my life. She also has had her own TKR. The nurse unaware of my wussiness and my lack of hospital experience kept throwing daggers at my friend. When I tell people that if I can do this anyone can, it is true. I went into the TKR totally oblivious except for what I knew from my friends experience. If I had gone to the class and learned what was happening, I would have cancelled. So even though I know what happens, it scares me a lot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB

My first knee went great and my second knee was the infected one. I can promise you, it wouldn't have mattered! I wanted to "live a life of quality again, instead of merely quantity!" :happydance:
 
Holy smokes! Fifteen hundred posts! Guess I should do more reading and less posting! Let me give this some thought.
 
I agree with tigz. Keep doing what you are doing. Anyway you must be reading if you are posting. You give a lot of time to this forum and you certainly have helped me. You deserve to have an easy second TKR and that's what I'll be praying for when your time comes.
 
My new knee is two years old! I told my class "I'm 59 years old, but my knee is just two years old". They looked very confused! Two years later my TKR is the work horse. It does steps, hills, flutter and whip kicks in the pool. It is still numb in places, but I've figured that's due to the two surgeries and I still have that yucky lump on the inside of my calf. During the infection/antibiotic period it was a very skinny leg and I was excited by that, however as soon as I started working it the fatty lump came back. I try not to dwell on the lump since no one but me seems concerned with it. Wait I forgot about a colleague's daughter who asked if she could touch it :heehee:. On to year three!
 
I obsess over my scar and my husband continuously tells me no one really cares about it but you. And dang it he is right!!!! But every morning I show him my knee anyway, the scar, the swelling if there is any. No wonder he doesn't care about it anymore. :loll:

I am sure those kids went home and told their parents all about your toddler knee. I am so glad your knee is doing so well!
 
Wow lots of posts @KarriB but I can see where you have been a huge help to others, including me. You have been through a lot and have a lot to offer.:flwrysmile:
 
I obsess over my scar and my husband continuously tells me no one really cares about it but you. And dang it he is right!!!!
I believe, in the early going of recovery, those scars mean a great deal of thought, of worries, of concerns---etc.

Once the knees (and our lives) become normal, the scars both literally and figuratively fade away.

My scars have faded greatly---in the summer, very few people notice them, as I wear shorts a great deal---and I do not think much about my knees---nine years old this November 8th----as they simply do what they are supposed to do---yes---normal is great, and I do not focus on them anymore.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom