Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Thanks, @Raffs and @CATSMUM . It was taken at my godson's wedding this weekend. I hate to have my photo taken, however it makes my family very angry. So I'm trying hard to get over it and see what everyone else sees. Getting older sucks, that's for sure!
 
I hate having my picture taken too. You look very glamorous in that photo.
 
@Josephine would my infection be different because it wasn't late onset? It was a month after the TKR surgery. I wasn't sure the infection made it down to the biofilm because revision dr said my tissue was compromised and a spacer wasn't needed. My original OS had warned me of the possibility of an infection because of the type of tissue in my leg. When I asked my ID, she said there was no way of knowing what caused my infection. Do that's what I was going of off. Believe me, I have racked my brain and researched to see what could have caused it. I don't want it to happen when I get the left done.
 
I think you've asked me this before, Karri. I believe I explained that it's a lot more complicated than that. Maybe your infection might have been seeded from the OR or something early in your recovery but as I understand it, that can then trigger the bio-film into action so the hibernating, immature bacterial cells begin to grow and reproduce. Trouble is, no-one really knows how or why the bio-film gets stimulated. All we do know at this time is that it bio-film is composed of immature bacterial cells that are in a kind of hibernation and something kick-starts them. The race is to find out that that something is. If we can do that, we stand a better chance of developing something that will keep those bugs immature and therefore no danger. Incidentally, our prostheses are not the only devices to be covered in bio-film. Stents, heart valves, catheters and pacemakers are also affected.
 
Thanks for the explanation. You did explain the biofilm, but I wasn't sure how the infection got to the biofilm. I really want my left knee to stay infection free when I decide to get it done. Of course, that prospect worries me.
 
Thanks everyone, it is always a relief to hear labs are good! @Wanttobebiking , I'm thinking about trying indoor swimming again after Christmas. I miss it so much, but the chlorinated air can really bother me. I didn't swim or whip kick till 7 months out. Good to hear you're swimming.
 
Once a year now. We talked about procedure for the left TKR, don't think I can hold off for another year. Hoping I can make it to May just because I don't want to leave my class and return. I did not like returning to a substitute the last time. I ordered another set of shots this week to help me hold off as long as possible.
 
I still do the CRP and SED every six weeks per IS's instructions. I don't mind though; I would rather be safe than sorry. Of course, mine was MRSA and it was the 8th round.:scare:
 
I agree, Sonja. Have to admit I'm trying not to worry a bit. Any idea how you were originally exposed to MRSA?
 
A fellow teacher had open sores on his face and co-taught with me 1 period. He used his hand to wipe the infection off his face and I would run around with disinfecting wipes. I didn't think about the paper cut I had in my hand until it blew up like a balloon!:yikes:
 
Oh no! Did he know what he had? That's terrible!
 
Oh yes! The principal was so "proud" of him because he would go to the hospital after school for IV antibotics! She got mad at me because I ended up in the hospital for 7 days. 2 7th grade students of mine in that class also came down w MRSA; one in her eye, and the other on his bicep![emoji15]
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom