KarriB
Former BoneSmart staff member
- Joined
- Apr 20, 2015
- Messages
- 11,941
- Age
- 70
- Location
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
I'm sorry to confuse, the cut and seeping came a few months before my TKR. In fact I got the cut on a Tuesday (it was nasty in that I was standing on a deck and felt as though I was standing in a puddle, when I looked down it was a puddle of blood, a layer of skin on my right leg was flapping in the wind) and when I woke up on Wednesday morning I could barely walk on my right knee, it was so painful. I didn't think the two events were related and still don't, but it was weird. After a week when the cut healed, it seeped (clear, not pink) and seeped for about a week, then my calf got very red and continued to seep. That was July 2013, I saw my OS because of the knee pain in August, scheduled my RTKR for October and had the infection surgery in November. Months later I remembered the cut/seeping and wondered if that could have caused the infection. I don't know how far down the infection went, I guess it depends on where the cultures came from. Neither docs admitted to thinking the cut could have been the culprit.
Now I'm worried about getting my left knee replaced and if the infection was due to my tissue there's a very real possibility of another infection when I decide to get my left k e done. I'm wondering what the protocol would be. Would I have IV antibiotics for an extended time (I'll ask my ID in August) or my OS may say no bending for a few weeks because he feels the tissue in my legs don't respond well to aggressive bending (non-aggressive is ok with me)?
Your correct in thinking my current RTKR seems fine, I swim and bike, there's no seeping, however I always know it's there. Thanks, @Jamie and again, I'm sorry to have been confusing.
Now I'm worried about getting my left knee replaced and if the infection was due to my tissue there's a very real possibility of another infection when I decide to get my left k e done. I'm wondering what the protocol would be. Would I have IV antibiotics for an extended time (I'll ask my ID in August) or my OS may say no bending for a few weeks because he feels the tissue in my legs don't respond well to aggressive bending (non-aggressive is ok with me)?
Your correct in thinking my current RTKR seems fine, I swim and bike, there's no seeping, however I always know it's there. Thanks, @Jamie and again, I'm sorry to have been confusing.
Last edited by a moderator: