Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

I'm sorry to confuse, the cut and seeping came a few months before my TKR. In fact I got the cut on a Tuesday (it was nasty in that I was standing on a deck and felt as though I was standing in a puddle, when I looked down it was a puddle of blood, a layer of skin on my right leg was flapping in the wind) and when I woke up on Wednesday morning I could barely walk on my right knee, it was so painful. I didn't think the two events were related and still don't, but it was weird. After a week when the cut healed, it seeped (clear, not pink) and seeped for about a week, then my calf got very red and continued to seep. That was July 2013, I saw my OS because of the knee pain in August, scheduled my RTKR for October and had the infection surgery in November. Months later I remembered the cut/seeping and wondered if that could have caused the infection. I don't know how far down the infection went, I guess it depends on where the cultures came from. Neither docs admitted to thinking the cut could have been the culprit.

Now I'm worried about getting my left knee replaced and if the infection was due to my tissue there's a very real possibility of another infection when I decide to get my left k e done. I'm wondering what the protocol would be. Would I have IV antibiotics for an extended time (I'll ask my ID in August) or my OS may say no bending for a few weeks because he feels the tissue in my legs don't respond well to aggressive bending (non-aggressive is ok with me)?

Your correct in thinking my current RTKR seems fine, I swim and bike, there's no seeping, however I always know it's there. Thanks, @Jamie and again, I'm sorry to have been confusing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RestAssured im seeing my ID in August and will have my labs done first. So far I've been ok with the 100mg of doxycycline. C-diff always comes up in our conversation, so I'll be aware. I was on a different antibiotic originally that shut down my white cells, my body totally stopped making white cells and I had to go off all antibiotics, hoping that would jump start my body into making white cells. They wanted me to stay away from crowds etc., so I just stayed home except for Drs. appt and having labs done weekly. It took a few weeks, but that may be why I'm on doxy now.
 
@KarriB

i am glad you are seeing your ID doc in August. Ask him what other antibiotics would work, or does he think the probiotics will keep C-Diff at bay.
 
Thanks so much for the information, @RestAssured . I used to hate going to dr. Appt., but now I don't mind. How weird is that? Haha!
 
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm going to tag @Josephine because I think some comments from her perspective might help you feel more comfortable about any upcoming surgery.
 
22 months out, went to school yesterday to begin putting my room together, then spent the evening at an art/craft studio making a door hanging. Woke up this morning knees didn't hurt at all and heel just a bit. The key for my plantar fasciitis has been orthodic shoes (Vionic). My heel doesn't hurt while on my feet, but did ache a bit when I first got up. About 2-3 weeks before I'm walking all day long.
Hope your work days are going well, @Sullivand !
 
@KarriB
Hello! I am so happy you spent time in your classroom and only have a little heel pain. I caught up on your thread and see that you are thinking about your next surgery. I hope the next journey will be easier! I am doing well and had a wonderful open house with many former students stopping in to check on me.
 
Don't you love seeing former students! I'm sure they were do happy to see you after your abscence! How are you feeling?
 
Just finished reading your thread. You had a very tough time of it. So glad that all was well in the end. You must have shown such courage and strength. Will be hoping and sending every good wish possible for a straightforward recovery when you decide to get the other knee done.
 
Thanks, @Raffs, I would have been no where without my faith. I had to give it all to Him, because nothing anyone was doing seemed to help. Even my OS said to keep praying. I learned a lot throughout that time and thank God every day I can walk, swim, bike etc. While it wasn't fun, it was necessary and I'm better for it.
 
@KarriB

The first knee I just had MRSA pnuemonia. The second knee was MRSA.
What I like about your situation and tremendous faith, is that your doctors have an ID on board, so you will have a much greater success rate than I did.

My 1st ID doctor told me if I would just lose weight that the MRSA would go away! Well, after the 2nd knee replacement I fired him and found A highly competent ID doc who worked w Dr. Maale.

I will be praying for you when you get your second knee replaced!
 
@RestAssured the head ID doc from the group visited me the day after surgery, it was Thanksgiving Day! He was kind and reassuring. I'm sure I'll be on here when I decide to have the left knee done and I'll covet your prayers for sure!
 
Well, I am heading out for a big day of walking all over Pittsburgh's North Shore to see the U.S Women's World Cup winning team play against Costa Rica. Soccer is a huge passion (comes from my Scottish born grandfather) of mine and all "my kids" played throughout school and college. I'm planning ahead with a dose of Aleve and hoping there's handicap parking at Heinz Field. Ninety degree heat, an ouchy left leg and RTKR, but I would never have even considered going two years ago.
 
Have fun. My brother and sister-in-law took the family to see them when they were in St. Louis earlier in the year as a birthday present to my niece, who, at 14, is an aspiring USWNT goalie (she might make it, too).
 
I've been away at a wedding weekend and yesterday was swimming my laps in a much smaller and more shallow pool. I was in the 3ft section when I realized I was squatting! I even said it out loud! This surprised me because my OS had said he'd be happy if I got to 90 and I know I'm past that because of biking, but I think my ROM must be pretty good if I can squat in the water. I don't think I'll be trying it on land though...
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom