TKR On The Recovery Side

@Jockette I just read your personal account of your surgery and your terrible PT experience so I know you truly understand the PT conflict.

Like you, I started PT right after my 2019 TKR. What a mistake, but as you say I thought this aggressive PT was necessary to regain my ability to walk. Two days after surgery they put me on an e excise bike and told me to pedal. I was so medicated it took everything I had to not fall off and crack my head open and that was just the beginning.

Not this time! I am following the Bonesmart guidelines. I have seen a PT twice for hands off therapy and he agrees I am doing well on my own. I will see him once or twice more to help improve my gait as I picked up a sideways stiff leg swing while awaiting surgery. Thanks for all you do here on Bonesmart.
 
Thanks, @Mrty2019 I spend a lot of time here trying to “rescue“ members from aggressive PT. I can’t even call it “ therapy” because it isn’t.

I‘m so sorry they put you on a bike at 2 days post op! Those PTs had no clue about major surgery and recovery in general.

If I ever do this again, and the possibility of a revision for me is real, I’ll be doing my own rehab, though I hope that revision never happens.

I‘m glad you found a much better way to recover this time around. :console2:
 
I just went to the Bonesmart library and reread Josephine’s article on energy drain. The explanation of the child body taking from the parent body no matter what is a perfect explanation of what I am going thru right now.

I have reduced pain meds, my knee bends properly, I am sleeping better but I just feel WEAK. I try to do a little more around the house and I break out in sweat from my weakness. I need to give my recovery more time I guess. Anyone else here with me on this. Thanks.
 
@Mrty2019 yes it’s all part of your body healing and can go on for sometime yet. Tiredness and weakness after this surgery is something we all had in common I think. Just listen to your body and do what it tells you don’t fight it and soon your stamina will improve greatly.
 
My glued incision looks so ugly. Last knee/same surgeon the glued incision looked so clean, but not this time. From the start it looked like a magic marker line or blood ran down the middle.

It looks better at the top now, but the lower part looks ugly. Thoughts anyone? I see my OS for 6 week follow up on the 23rd.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    D9DF7B35-6569-497C-8BCC-401E690EE3C4.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 181
Anyone else here with me on this.
You're in early days @Mrty2019. I still get drained earlier in the day than normal but at this point I don't need midday naps. One of my funniest recovery moments was when I tried to scramble eggs some time during my 1st 2 weeks. I was sweating like a top chef. Just scrambling eggs, no toast, no fillings, just 2 eggs in a pan with butter made the sweat pour off me. I'm much better now but I still limit the daily activities to what I can manage after my full work day sitting at my desk.
 
Looks like they had trouble with the glue gun:heehee: at the bottom there but it’s probably all surface and will eventually drop or rub off in a few weeks time. I’ve certainly seen worse photos. Even 5 months healed my knee is pretty ugly and red but I know that it will look like a wobbly silver line at some point in the future. You are doing well sounds like.
 
I've been shaving my knee within about a half inch on each side of the scar but in that "no shave" zone I've got some long, scary hairs! Only my PT sees it and since it's not shorts weather, who cares! It is a weird feeling, shaving on the left side of the knee with the nerves trying to regenerate. My scar is still dark pink and sometimes purple, it won't be white for awhile yet.

Yes, the tiredness! I could barely do anything at your stage and now that I can, I'm tired again. It's a good thing it's not gardening season but Christmas adds its own extra chores. If I were early on I could just sit and not do any of it but I feel like I should be doing more so I over-do.
 
I just hit the wall so I iced my knee, took a Tramadol and crawled in bed. The energy just drains away sometimes especially in the evening.
 
I “overdid” today and getting ready to do a long ice session! Sleep tight!
 
Hopefully Mr. Sandyman will also stop at your bedroom too. First night home and so looking forward to a good night's sleep in my own bed, with no hospital noises and here I am at 04:00am wide awake on BoneSmart- am lucky its daytime in the US so hopefully not disturbing anyone xx
 
Got a good night’s sleep. Woke up once, but decided I really didn’t need another Tramadol and Tylenol. Sleep can really make a difference in my outlook. @Sara61 being able to sleep in your own bed can make all the difference. Hope you can catch some zzzzz’s
 
I managed to get the odd bit of sleep in between my frequent trips to the bathroom- my bladder is constantly full :gaah: and it's such hard work getting to and from the bathroom, at least I'm getting my daily exercises.
Finally got pain meds under control, actually my knee isn't hurting what's bothering me more is my shin and heel - maybe they had these held in place but its so uncomfortable, I've had to put a furry blanket under my heel as the sheets were rubbing it.
Glad to see Mr. Sandyman sprinkled some sleep dust magic on you, hopefully he will remember where I live tonight xx
 
A few days ago, I posted a photo of my incision and the thick dark glue. Well, I got out of the shower this morning and the glue was starting to let loose. I could roll it up in balls like we used to do with rubber cement. Now I have a nice clean, healed incision. It’s the small victories… :heehee:
 
Is there any connection between rainy cold nasty weather and knee pain? The weather the last few days has been bad here and I have experienced more knee pain. Thx
 
Oh yes! I had that for quite a while.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom