TKR On The Recovery Side

How are you finding your other leg now that it has to be the stronger one ? Are you able to get out of a chair/ bed easily - I'm trying to use my left knee as the dominant as much as possible but I still seem to rely on my non operated one :unsure:, I tried to get off the sofa today just using my left knee in mock practice and failed miserably, my arm strength is pretty lousy :heehee:
 
In the last day or two, I have improved getting out of the recliner. My husband had to support my surgical leg as I scooted to the edge of the seat. The first day I had trouble getting off the toilet even though it has a frame with arms. Partly because the surgical pain is so well controlled plus I remember how to put my surgical leg out and not put pressure on it and just having less pain overall. Vast improvement the past 24-48 hrs. I look forward to the gentle stretching exercises.
 
Another good night. Up at 2 am for pain meds and walk thru the house. I know it seems counterintuitive, but stretching my legs by walking and exercise makes me feel better. Reducing pain meds so I take the 5 mg oxycontin at bedtime and Tramadol with acetaminophen during the day. Had shower and washed my hair using shower chair.

Will do exercises at 10:30 this morning, this afternoon and evening. Like doing heel slides in my rocking chair. Can get good bend and extension. Not sure if I read about using a rocker on this site, but sure helps.
 
@Jockette I thought I read that tramadol and acetaminophen taken together provide stronger pain relief than if they are taken spaced apart Any truth to this? Thx
 
Tramadol and Tylenol worked for me with the last knee after the initial heavier pain meds.
 
Tramadol and Tylenol worked for me with the last knee after the initial heavier pain meds.

@hawk2go. So you took them at exactly the same time? Want to get as much pain relief as possible while reducing my OxyConti. Thx
 
Tramadol can be a good step-down pain reliever. You can also take 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours as long as you count in all the meds you are taking that have Tylenol in them. If your doctor will prescribe the Tramadol here's a chart on how you can take it at the same time with Tylenol. Paracetamol is Tylenol.

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
 
@Jockette Thanks much. My OS had already prescribed the tramadol indicating 50 - 100 mg every 6 hours. It looks like 50 mg of tramadol and 500 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours will hold my pain with 5 mg of OxyContin at 10 pm to hold me thru the night. He prescribed a very small qty of diuladid for break thru pain. I have only taken them twice like when my nerve block wore off. I don’t expect to need anymore.

Doing my own PT has really helped reduce any pain. The OS provided a book of light stretches I am to perform 3x a day which actually make my baby knee feel good. Last knee I started PT on the third day and the therapist did all the wrong most painful things. Much better this way. Using my walker, I can walk every hour or so putting my full weight on my knee and it feels good. Big difference from previous pain and torture. Again, thanks.
 
So glad this time round you are using your previous knowledge to make the right decisions and able to control the pain levels. Sounds like you're making excellent progress. Also your positive attitude will help enormously.
On the funny side, it took me over 8 attempts to get of my sofa in mock practice, I'm wondering how I ever managed last time, by the time I did my new knee was so cross and painful, I spent the rest of the morning lying down :rotfl: :headbang:
Do you have any hobbies to keep yourself busy whilst nursing your new knee? I do painting by numbers so hoping I can continue this whilst sitting/lying, it's really relaxing to do and end results usually quite awesome.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    20211110_123730_copy_600x800.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 191
Sounds like you're coming along great. Keep going!
 
@Sara61 @Jockette I learned that the reason I was feeling so great was because my pain mgt was just right. By reducing my pain meds too quickly along with a little too much exercise, I ended up awake at 2 am in terrible pain that required one of my dear breakthrough pain pills and causing worry for my husband. Will be more careful in reducing pain meds going forward and will back off on exercise.

Sara you are a wonderful artist. I can’t draw a straight line. I do like to machine quilt, knit and cook which I can’t do right now. I am mainly reading and watching youtube videos as that’s all my brain can handle. Thx
 
Thanks @Mrty2019 all I do is colour in, no skill needed but I enjoy it and it helps to relieve my stress xx
Today both my knees are sore, I'm feeling a tad disgruntled, I think only people whom have actually had a replacement truly understand what it is all about, my sister (elder) compared it to a Tooth extraction :flabber: - I almost feel I should send her a video. Pain is no fun so I feel for you - sending you a pain free hugs from Portugal xx
 
You are so right @Sara61 unless someone has had TKR, they just don’t get it. I have had to explain to friends that despite being done outpatient, it is major surgery and has a one year to full recovery.

I have been thinking about your trouble getting up from the sofa. Does it help if you sit near the arm so you can use the arm to help pull yourself up? Can you experiment with using your walker, cane of crutches to help? I have a recliner that really helps me get up. It is manual so I can control the leg piece. Last night I did feel the need to lie down in bed and stretch out.
 
Recliner sounds heaven, I did think about it last time but it would overpower our lounge and as we rent out our home in the Summer months less is better. I think I've nailed it, I sat on a couple of cushions that way I'm slightly higher and the angle is better to lift by posterior off from, just as well I lost a good few few kilos since my last surgery :heehee:
Are you watching anything good on Netflix- I enjoyed a limited series called "The Maid " - I prefer the limited series as I don't have much patience to wait years for next seasons. Also the film The Queens Gambit.
 
We started watching The Billion Dollar Code. It’s about how google stole mapping from another company. LOVED Queen’s Gambit. Started watching The Maid and little too depressing combined with TKR recovery but plan to get back to it as so many people have recommended it.
 
all I do is colour in, no skill needed but I enjoy it and it helps to relieve my stress
That's cool. I do adult connect the dots. Think of the children's menu (or Highlights mag game if you're old enough) past time on steroids. I have completed one picture that had 2000 dots to connect. I then color the finished image.
 
I bought a used recliner just for my recovery period. The seller had purchased for his father in an assisted living. No wear and it is electric but not a lift chair. We moved some things around so it fit but it is out of here once I fully recover. Sofas are hard but I can finally get up without too much problem.
 
@Indigo_Bunting then you should try paint by numbers it has progressed so much and so easy to do xx
I haven't heard of connect dots so will check it out, so good to have a hobby @hawk2go
I will also look out for the Billion Dollar code.
The Maid took time to get in to it, Yes - a bit depressing but do try and finish it, I'm thinking of downloading a film onto my phone just in case I get stuck with a snorer whilst in hospital, last time I was stuck in hospital for 3 nights, the lady beside me shook the whole building, unfortunately I had no headphones/earplugs and her bed was a tad too far for me to prod her with my crutches, this time I'm going in well prepared haha, we became good friends in the end and still keep regular contact via WhatsApp.
I so envy you all in the US having the option of having out patient surgery, here it is not an option and we are required to spend at least 2 nights in hospital.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom