TKR On The Recovery Side

@Jockette i reread your note about keeping Thanksgiving simple this year and came to my senses. Discussed with my husband who agreed my dinner plan was ambitious. He plans to prepare a simpler meal and I can help with some chopping while seated. I just can’t stand for long. Thanks again!
 
You’ll be able to do that more traditional meal next year!

 
@Mrty2019 - that's what I dread most is the sleepless nights, is there any herbal remedies you could take? Unfortunately I'm not good at napping during the day so last time sleep was an issue for me.
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving, and hope its not too much work for you, take care and I will :prayer:that the sleep fairy comes your way xx
 
Last night I slept longer just waking up at 2 am in need of pain meds. I know I have been all over the map with pain meds, but realize I need Tramadol and Tylenol every 6 hours.
 
I set alarms to wake up to take meds at around 2-3am so I wouldn't miss it. Sleep is definitely an issue this early on and probably won't subside for awhile yet. Try to nap as much as you can. It will pass, although I know it's frustrating right now...
 
:wow: that is great progress you are less than 2 weeks post surgery and "doing the laundry and changing the sheets" that is some achievement, Sadly the side effects to our over achievements is pay back pain, a good couples of days rest and :ice: will ease that for you xx

To be fair, my husband was lending a hand, but I am feeling more like doing a few things.
 
@Jockette When can I shave my legs? I know it wasn’t allowed by my surgeon 48 hours prior to surgery, but not sure about any worries following surgery. TIA
 
Last night I came close to sleeping thru the night. I took a Tylenol and Tramadol at 9:30 and read in bed for a bit. Woke at 3:30 am, took another dose of meds, walked thru the house to loosen up my knee, went back to bed to read and fell asleep until almost 6 am. I feel like a different person.

Plus, I have found a way to sleep on either side. Being a side sleeper this helps a lot.
 
I’m not aware of any restrictions for shaving post op. Just be really careful. To be honest, I was so miserable, physically, for weeks after my surgery, shaving was the last thing on my mind. I forget how many months post op I was when I tried an electric razor and my drama Queen knee had a fit!
 
I hope your knee likes it better than mine did!
 
Can you shave around the knee/incision?
 
Just checking in to see how you are doing? @Mrty2019 - my op date getting real close so feeling quite apprehensive, I'm all sorted tests wise now only thing left to do is pack a wee bag and fast from midnight tomorrow- to be honest, I will be thankful when I wake up in recovery, but reading your posts are a great inspiration and so I am repeating to myself I can do this ...

I find shaving my other knee a weird experience as parts of it is still numb, and I cannot feel the razor, great thou that you are well enough to think about it, just go gently x
Thank god its winter and they won't be on display too often :heehee: xxx (Edited )
 
Last edited:
Feeling a little weak a little tired, but I am sleeping most of the night thru. Stopped tramadol yesterday and down to just Tylenol. Very little pain. I think some of the weakness might be because I am not very hungry so trying to eat more.

It will be good for you to get the surgery behind you and on to the recovery phase. Please keep us posted. You will be in my thoughts.
 
:console2: Hopefully your appetite will return soon,this will help you gain strength, maybe now that you have managed to stop the Tramadol this will help you xx
I have asked my husband to sneak food in the hospital, only so that if I'm eating I won't have to have the mask stuck on my face :heehee:
 
@Sara61 How long will you be in the hospital?

For me, it seems like my recovery was remarkable the first 2-3 weeks and then it slows possibly because I expected to do so much more so keep that in mind.

Also, our community holiday party was Friday night. Really glad we went, but really paid the price for sitting at a table with my knee at 90 degrees for three hours. Iced as soon as we got home.

Quickly learned last night that I still need a tramadol at night which I don’t think is too bad. You will be glad this is all behind you!
 
Am hoping just 2 nights, that is the minimum stay required in Portugal, So most likely Thursday I will be discharged :praying: I took Tramadol at night for a good long while after my 1st replacement it was the only thing that killed the pain.
Parties sound good, I may afterall be able to celebrate the New Year :yes!: xx
I have been so busy the last few days I'm looking forward to being looked after for a change x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom