TKR On The Recovery Side

:wow: You are doing so well for just over 1 month post surgery, here's hoping that I can follow in your "shoes" so to speak xx:walking:Make sure to use plenty of :ice:and give it a day or two yo recover xx
 
I was going thru the bag that I brought home from the hospital and found this foam wedge. It can be used in various positions, but one side looks perfect to place between my knees to improve my side sleeping. Will try tonight.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    24D66B15-24B5-4BBD-9DEC-BDB41C71C85E.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 148
  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    AE5B8EA9-0293-4A9F-A53C-D97527FABD10.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 154
My surgery was 6 weeks ago today. Walked nearly a mile this morning although I tried not to walk so far. Did some kitchen chores and some laundry. Feel exhausted.

See surgeon first thing in then morning. Incision looks good and hope x-rays show all is well.
 
Good meeting with OS today and released to normal activities. Follow up in a year. My new Zimmer Biomet matches the 2019 joint.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On The Recovery Side
    11479E6A-A23D-4251-B6AD-0469B179AFFE.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 149
:wowspring:you have a fine pair of matching knees and such brilliant progress:yes!: hopefully I won't be too far behind, I am surprised that since having stopped taking the Tramadol, I have ( hope I don't jinx it) very little pain today have only taken 1 Paracetamol and 1 Iberbrufen and Mrs knee is bending further and is less uncomfortable xx
 
Good meeting with OS today and released to normal activities. Follow up in a year. My new Zimmer Biomet matches the 2019 joint.
Congrats!! Such a good day for you! I'm getting the Zimmer Biomet Persona as well. Hope I can have the same great progress! Do you think the gains in efficiency and improved techniques in surgery helped vs your first surgery?

A friend of mine had surgery 8 years ago and again two years ago. Her experience was way different the first time. The second surgery was done by different surgeon and had minimal pain outside of the first two weeks.
 
Good meeting with OS today and released to normal activities. Follow up in a year. My new Zimmer Biomet matches the 2019 joint.
Congrats!! Such a good day for you! I'm getting the Zimmer Biomet Persona as well. Hope I can have the same great progress! Do you think the gains in efficiency and improved techniques in surgery helped vs your first surgery?

My first knee was in worse shape and included a stress fracture so I was fairly immobile for months prior to surgery. With my first knee, my quad was numb for a week or following surgery causing me to use a strap to lift my leg out of bed.

With my second knee I could lift my leg from the start making recovery better. Plus I was stronger from walking/biking. I asked my OS if the procedure had changed and he said no. He said the quad numbness occurs about 5% of the time when using a nerve block like he does.

I think with the second knee we know more. Just returned from a 1.3 mile walk. Am sleeping all night too.
 
Didn‘t work that well. Better without it.
I didn't find it helpful either but didn't want to bias your attempt. I think I actually threw it across the room in one of my more frustrated moments.

Consistently sleeping all night really is a game changer.
 
Today I am 8 weeks out on my TKR and returned to normal activities with occasional mild discomfort mainly if I stand in the kitchen a little too long and just take a 500 mg Tylenol for that, but no other meds.

I walk about a mile plus every morning and do my stretching exercises at home. I have excellent ROM and have had since shortly after surgery. My knee just wanted to bend. I am able to sleep all night, on my side, and have been doing so for several weeks. Good sleep helps with every thing. The total exhaustion from the beginning is gone and my energy is back to near normal levels.

I am glad I had my knee done and that is behind me. I think the single most important thing to having a good recovery is the skill of the surgeon. The same surgeon has done both my knee replacements.

The point of this posting is that there are successful knee replacements and I am glad for both of mine.

I had 3 PT sessions, but absolutely no forcing of my knee. The sessions were mainly to assess my progress. My ROM was above 100 from the first session at day 9.

Thanks to everyone's help, support, and advice during my recovery. I wish everyone the very best surgery and recovery!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom