TKR On The Recovery Side

@Sara61 I am doing really well. Have substantially reduced the amount of pain meds which is a good indication. Just a tramadol and Tylenol every 6 hrs and add a oxi at bedtime.

I meet with a PT tomorrow for an assessment. I have the PT orders from my OS and there is nothing aggressive in them. Want to have PT do measurements and see what they think they can do to help with recovery.

I have found that doing heel slides in a rocking chair is very beneficial to my ROM. Thx
 
Yesterday I read thru my 2019 LTKR postings. This community was so helpful and supportive during those dark post surgery days and the loss of my son and only child. What that PT did to me was appalling and traumatic. I wonder why he did it and the larger question is why I let him. When I was sobbing thru the pain, he said that “tears were a milestone”. I really liked and trusted him fully but his aggressive PT made my knee worse. I could barely walk following the sessions.

This afternoon I have a PT appointment with someone recommended by my massage therapist. She assures me he will not be aggressive.

This appointment is just for an assessment which is normally done immediately following surgery and I scheduled out this far on purpose. I have the referral from my OS which does not have ANYTHING remotely aggressive listed. It doesn’t even include the use of a stationery bike, which I think all therapists rely on.

I want the PT to measure my range of motion, What I want is some help reducing the swelling which will improve my ROM. I expect this to be gentle leg massage, maybe a little stretching, and the use of their big icing machine, I see so many people who lIke the TIMMS, but my previous experience having it turned as high as possible was pure torture.

If he can’t agree to this, I will not do more sessions. If he calls my OS, I will have my ROM number which I have reached by my gentle approach and I believe will be pretty good. I will be glad to explain this to my OS especially since he has not ordered aggressive PT.

That’s my plan.
 
@Mrty2019 I'm so sorry to read that your first replacement was so traumatic ( belated condolences for the loss of your son ) I can't think of anything worse, so congratulations to you for overcoming all those obstacles, your PT - well I have no polite words to describe his barbaric actions, unfortunately alot of them treat a replacement as sports injury. Also it was your first replacement and if you were like me a bit clueless to what was really necessary or not.
I was fortunate that my surgeon was in the opinion that the knee will heal itself and with time and patience it would do what it was meant for, he actually told me that PT was a matter of choice, I only started PT two weeks after surgery ( a family friend was my physiotherapist) and only went twice a week to use the cpm machine, on a gentle slow moving setting, for 20 minutes, I think I only did PT for 2 months, I used my daily living activities and as I got stronger I walked the dogs.
Fast forward I have a pretty good bend and extention, certainly for my needs in life it is good enough.
I will most likely do the same after my surgery, as time is the essence in this recovery and I have no marathons to run :heehee:
I am certain that you will succeed, and this time next year you will be out enjoying life once more.
Wishing you a lovely weekend and don't let any PT bully you xxx
 
Thanks for your kind words. My OS has pushed me to PT. I am interested in their icing machine, They get so caught up in the numbers/measurement. My knee will do what I want it to do. Thx
 
We're here for you through your recovery and supporting your decision to control your PT.
 
Last edited:
I fully support your PT plan. I'm so sorry that your first TKR PT was so aggressive. It still is so crazy to me how PTs (and some OSs) do not seem to understand that the knee just needs to heal a bit. The first week is just getting the pain under control and making it to the bathroom....I don't need PT for that!

My OS told me to schedule my first PT session 1-2 days after my outpatient LTKR. No way! I waited a week to even call the PT to schedule, and it was 10 days before I went for the assessment. And at the assessment I made a plan with the PT to do some exercises but not return to see him for 2.5 weeks. Ha, take that aggressive OS!

Edit: I just remembered that I was sore & had swelling after the PT assessment, though. That was mostly my fault thinking I could do more than I could because I was actually feeling pretty good before the appointment. So just to say....not only do we have to watch out for the PT, but I hope someone else can learn from my mistakes and watch out for our own overconfidence sometimes, too! :heehee:
 
Went to PT today and my husband went in to the assessment with me. I explained what had happened with PT on my other knee, the trauma and that I don’t want this knee forcibly flattened down or bent. I said I did not want to be made to use the leg press or the stationary bike. My goal was to reduce the swelling as my knee wanted to move. He said he would never touch me without our having agreement on the move.

He checked my knee out and agreed there was swelling. He said my incision was healing nicely and gave me recommendations on using lotion around the incision but not on it. My right knee was 1 1/2“ larger in diameter than my left. He measured my ROM at 110/4 and said that was very good for 9 days out from surgery. I walked with a cane and he made suggestions on improving my stride. Finally he cooled my knee with an icing machine. He said to try to use my cane from time to time. I scheduled 3 more appointments out thru the end of the year. It could have been different last time.
 
I see so many people who lIke the TIMMS, but my previous experience having it turned as high as possible was pure torture.

They should never be turning it as high as possible. I'm always asked to tell them when I can feel it and then they turn it up and I'm to tell them when it's strong enough for me. If it's hurting they should back off on the dial. What a terrible PT you had! :censored:
 
@Susie-Q Yes terrible PT, but as I know Josephine had said - it’s my knee and my recover.
 
Well I overdid it yesterday and paid the price with pain during the night. But I did get the laundry done and the sheets changed so there’s that. Taking it easy and tonight should be a better night.
 
:wow: that is great progress you are less than 2 weeks post surgery and "doing the laundry and changing the sheets" that is some achievement, Sadly the side effects to our over achievements is pay back pain, a good couples of days rest and :ice: will ease that for you xx
 
Went to PT today and my husband went in to the assessment with me. I explained what had happened with PT on my other knee, the trauma and that I don’t want this knee forcibly flattened down or bent. I said I did not want to be made to use the leg press or the stationary bike. My goal was to reduce the swelling as my knee wanted to move. He said he would never touch me without our having agreement on the move.

He checked my knee out and agreed there was swelling. He said my incision was healing nicely and gave me recommendations on using lotion around the incision but not on it. My right knee was 1 1/2“ larger in diameter than my left. He measured my ROM at 110/4 and said that was very good for 9 days out from surgery. I walked with a cane and he made suggestions on improving my stride. Finally he cooled my knee with an icing machine. He said to try to use my cane from time to time. I scheduled 3 more appointments out thru the end of the year. It could have been different last time.
If it's of any use, I use a mini exercise bike [often termed 'under desk'] I bought for my husband to exercise his legs [he has MS and very little mobility].
I put it on the lowest setting and automatic so it takes my legs round rather than me pushing, at the moment. One can adjust the amount of bend required by how far away the machine is from the chair. It's a level up from a CPM and has double use as I will start 'cycling' this week, although I do use a static bike in the gym three times a week.
An aside, I am in awe if your ability to 'bounce back' from your trauma and go for a second TKR. My rehab is going well [so I'm told by my physio] but the jury is definitely not even convening for my other knee, never mind out for discussion.
 
I had zingers off and on all night long making it very difficult to sleep. 5 mg of OxyContin didn’t touch it, but a tramadol with a Tylenol seemed to help and I got a couple of hours of sleep. Ordered some magnesium lotion after reading about on Bonesmart. Hopefully I can get a couple of naps today.
 
Two weeks post surgery today. Have settled on one Tylenol and one 50 mg Tramadol every 6 hours and regular icing. Started back on CBD oil last night to help with sleep. I can’t get comfortable sleeping on my side no matter which pillow etc I use between my legs. Started walking with a cane except for during the night when I don’t want to risk a fall. My gait is still off, but concentrating on heel toe. Will try to spend some time in the kitchen on Thanksgiving to help my husband. It will just be the two of us as I’m not up for much. Happy Thanksgiving to this wonderful group.
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Keep the dinner simple this year. The important part is you and your husband are together, and you are recovering well. This will be my second Thanksgiving without my husband.

Get out some old photo albums and enjoy the memories together. I did this with my husband on our last anniversary together, when he was very ill. We looked through our wedding album, and the photo album of when he built our log cabin home. We had cake and ice cream. It was special. :roseshwr:
 
Help please. I just can’t sleep more than 3 maybe 4 hours. Then little almost doze off cat naps. If I could get a good night’s sleep, I would feel so much better.

I thought the OxyContin caused insomnia, but Tramadol does too. I started CBD oil again as it helped me sleep after my last TKR and usually I sleep like a baby when I take it, but not now that I can tell.

I may stop the tramadol and just take Tylenol in the hope that I will be able to sleep.

TIA. Happy Thanksgivin!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom