Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR On the other side

I do believe your getting this learning curve down. I think from your posts I can feel you smiling at being home. There is just something more relaxing being at home. Its more difficult somewhat, but your more relaxed. You've used wise decisions on having someone there when going up/down the stairs or showering. Excellent common sense.

The itching is healing which is good. Its bad because it itches. Besides ice you can try some cream in the area, just don't go anywhere near your incision.

Good job and transition that you've made.
 
Thanks all. Really appreciate the encouragement and advice.
Getting used to being here. Slept 8.5 hrs last night from 9.25 with one loo trip, then had a cuppa in bed at 6.45 using the trolley, read for a bit, then energy drain so another hour’s sleep.first cuppa before 9 am in 4 weeks. Bliss. It’s the little things.
I find I have to concentrate a lot, and that’s tiring. Talk about being present in the moment.
Had a couple of friends and neighbours call in, and had a little walk in the street outside as I missed the walking space I’d got used to.
Just as in the last few weeks each day is a mix of sit, stand, walk, ice, lie down, repeat, repeat, repeat… with a few quad sets thrown in after the shower. I find I have to rest 5 mins on my bed after going upstairs, and again after the shower before coming down again.
Through the day I’m reading, TV, few games online, phone calls, so all good.
I know it’s early but the R leg is already so good, L has a long way to go.
I know they’re all different, different anatomy, slightly different ops, L injured and worse before etc, etc.
Thanks all, onwards…
 
Another day. Day 29. Coping ok with 3 steps to/from loo and garden, just taking my time.
Showered ok with a friend in the house, as above.
Iced a few times, walked in garden once, all on flat, I love being outside.
Made lunch, few fresh veg and a small ready meal. Fresh fruit. Pushed food on trolley to chair in lounge. Afterwards put DW on, will empty later on to table.
Icing now on bed to Karen Pirie a good box set on ITVX
30 min doze, but no sleep.
Currently on paracetamol 2/3 x day. Adding in ibuprofen as necessary, with omprazole. 2 doses today so far.
Later more of the same activities.
Tried chair pedals. Can do forward/backward but not a whole revolution yet.
Few skateboard slides as per @Roy Gardiner.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing really well.
Just carry on taking it steady and you will be fine.
 
Hi Legseleven,
It sounds like you're establishing a manageable routine at home as you approach your one month anniversary.
I'll bet it's nice to be comfortable back in your own space. You're making nice progress! I'm happy for you, you brave bilateral. :thumb:
@Legseleven
 
Thanks v much.
Not feeling so brave just now in the wee small hours with behind the knee pain in left knee. Taken paracetamol, elevated, it’s very intense. No chance of going back to sleep for a while.
 
Last edited:
Pain will fluctuate, so hang in there. You’re doing great. Try not to worry about the ups and downs, and try not to analyze what caused each fluctuation. It’s all normal.
 
You might try putting the ice bag down and having the leg rest on it. With a tee towel in between so the ice isn't next to your skin.

Hang in there. You've got this.
 
Thanks v much. I did ice under the knee, after posting that message. Eventually it lessened and I finally went back to sleep. I can now do a couple of hours on my side, and have done for a few nights, which helps.
I think my busy brain was like - is this a DVT - and perhaps you’ve already realised that I’m not an anxious person.
Will take pain meds regularly today, set alarms for them, haven’t done that since 1st August, and take it slower, not that I was speedy yesterday. Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
Will take pain meds regularly today, set alarms for them, haven’t done that since 1st August,
Good! It is really important to stay ahead of the pain. You are still early days and there is no need to cut back yet. At minimum, stay on schedule with the paracetamol. That may help with the itching, too.
 
Exercising my patience muscle today. Day 30.
Very quiet day, back on the pain meds using timer, and doing ok so far. The NSAIDs seem to ease the swelling and that helps.
One small walk outside for a breath of sunshine and fresh air, and only necessary ADL’s eg shower, meals and bathroom trips.
Very dull day, but hoping it’s what the knees need.
 
Many people neglect to ice all around their knee and only put the ice on the incision area. Pain at the back of the knee is very common because fluid can settle there within the knee compartment. So be sure you’re lovin’ all of your knee when you ice and elevate. You’re doing just great. Any recovery always has its ups and downs.
 
@Legseleven hello. I’ve just been reading your thread. I’m full of admiration for you having bilateral TKR. Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. You have a wonderful positive attitude. Keep going. You are getting there.
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Jamie I use the Cryocuffs regularly and put them on all different ways. I have been icing all round.
The regular ibuprofen seems to ease the swelling. I think you call it Advil. I just wonder about the longer term effects as clearly the knees like a NSAID. The hospital advised to take an omprazole daily when on an NSAID. However I’m not keen on taking either of these long term.
Maybe I’ll try the ibuprofen 400mg 12 hourly tomorrow and keep up the paracetamol. In all honesty I really haven’t needed so much medication in the last ten days until last night.
It’s also amazing how the ROM increases as the swelling decreases, that’s seems like the NSAID effect.
Night all.
 
It’s also amazing how the ROM increases as the swelling decreases
Yes, this is exactly it!

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Since your surgery was just a few weeks ago and you’re taking your pain medications properly, I don’t think you’ll experience any long term problems with them. You need them right now and may for another month or so. The paracetamol and NSAID are an effective combination for pain and swelling and it does sound like it’s working for you.
 
The regular ibuprofen seems to ease the swelling. I think you call it Advil. I just wonder about the longer term effects as clearly the knees like a NSAID. The hospital advised to take an omprazole daily when on an NSAID. However I’m not keen on taking either of these long term
Whilst you are right about longer term use- I wouldn't worry about needing them post- op.
I took Naproxen for about 4 months after my PKR. Although in my case it was for my back as much as my knee.
 
Hi Legseleven, Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you were able to get some peaceful sleep overnight and you're feeling better today.
How is the day going so far?
@Legseleven
 
Legseleven - I'm reading your thread right now.
Zingers - I've had that too and hoping that's positive work going on below the skin
Kudos for the prep work you did, and your flex range was good.
Walking down stairs - when I worried about it, I went down backwards. Now, I think to myself - "each step is therapy"

Do you have dead spots on the top of the knees like I did? If not, that's awesome. My scars itched also, and I still get a little itch sensations around the area.

Keep up the good work.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom