Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thanks @Tosh30 all useful info, I think I’m doing well. The only dead spot is just under the arthroscopy scar, nowhere else. Too soon to know if sensitive to clothes as such warm weather and just wearing dresses just now.

Thanks @EalingGran very much, do I need to keep up the omprazole?

Thanks @Layla slept better last night and now added in colouring and jigsaws today to the endless round of walk, sit, raise, ice etc
Had a few visitors too, and played dominoes. Hoping in maybe a couple of weeks I will be able to do more stairs and sleep upstairs again, so that I go up at night and down in the morning.

Thanks @Jamie, @Jockette, @benne68, @Toothfairy, @Toothfairy and all.
 
Thanks @EalingGran very much, do I need to keep up the omprazole?
With the Naproxen I took you definitely need omeprazole as the risks of stomach problems are high.
All NSAIDs raise the risk of ulcers but it varies according to the drug and also your own history. Not all need taking an anti- ulcer drug like omeprazole. Which one are you taking again?And why were you given Omeprazole in the first place? Are you getting any problems with it? Do you get any symptoms of gastritis or reflux or did you before starting it?

If in doubt I would check with your GP or pharmacy.
 
Thanks @EalingGran I was given omprazole with naproxen by the hospital.
Not currently taking any naproxen but if I did would take the stomach med.
I’m now taking 400mg ibuprofen, trying 12 hourly, after a meal, with paracetamol 6 hourly through the day.
Not aware of stomach issues. I do find the NSAID helpfully eases the swelling in the left knee.
Had a very slight rash yesterday on my arms, thought it might be the omprazole. I also have some previously prescribed lansoprazole, not taken as never used the naproxen at that time. Not sure what the difference is.
Thanks for your help.
 
There is a risk of stomach problems with any NSAID taken regularly for an extended period of time (more than a couple of days). So I would say it’s a good idea to stay on the omprazole as long as you are using an NSAID on a daily basis.
 
Just a brief comment on the rash on your arm. Were you in the sun yesterday? I wonder if it was just a reaction to the sun? I believe its called a sun rash. There is no concern if it doesn't spread or cause too much itching.
 
Thanks @eaglemom, I get a serious photo sensitive and incredibly itchy rash if on doxycycline and it wasn’t that. I only had a few minutes eg 4 mins yesterday in the sun while out in the lane on my crutches. The rash faded overnight.
I didn’t take omprazole today but will tomorrow. See how it goes.
Thanks all.
 
Last edited:
So two hours after taking omprazole today I noticed the rash was back and slightly worse, accompanied by madly itchy hands and fingers. I’ve had worse rashes, it’s only mild. It may have started sooner but I was busy hanging washing up haphazardly, with the grabber, and emptying the dishwasher, and I may not have noticed it before.
I took an antihistamine. No sun today and haven’t been outside yet either. I won’t take omprazole tomorrow and try to see of the rash comes back.

Day 33.
Slightly deeper knee twinges, not all the time, but ok. Healing underway.
On the 3 steps to/from the loo, which I do multiple times/day I have started sometimes leading with worse left leg on the final step.
I had no one coming in today, so texted a friend before/after going up/down/shower etc and reported all safe and well.

Nap time now.

Have a good day everyone.
 
I had no one coming in today, so texted a friend before/after going up/down/shower etc and reported all safe and well.
A very wise thing to do. I had to go up a ladder in my garage, a while back, and I did the same thing with my friend across the street. I also had the garage door open so she could see if I ended up on the floor. :heehee: It’s great to have neighbors who are also good friends.
 
Sorry…but I have to chuckle at the “hanging washing up haphazardly with the grabber” I’m envisioning Edward Scissorhands! :heehee: :wink: I hope the itch from that rash has eased as the day progresses. You seem wisely cautious in regard to activity and thankfully you have loving friends ready and available to watch out for you. You’re doing great! I love your smart and measured approach to healing.
Enjoy the rest of the day! :SUNsmile:
@Legseleven
 
You’re right @Layla, it’s just like that. Plus picking things up with crutches is even funnier as they’re so long, like the Mail through the letterbox, when the grabber is in another room.
Itch gone when woke up from sleep thanks to the Fexofenadine.
I walked in the lane repeating the distance from yesterday, and chatted to a neighbour. Tomorrow will try the next house down. Usually do two days of same distance before increasing by only a few yards.
 
Day 34.
Slept well. More of the same, walk in garden, ADL’s, jigsaw, heated up my lunch, cooked some fresh veg. Crochet, reading, iced, watched a film. Chatted on phone, walked in lane, iced plus a few exercises. More jigsaw and reading.
It’s a strange existence for a previously active and busy person, and patience is clearly the biggest muscle I’m using. I said at the beginning of this would be a lesson in patience and letting go and it is.
It will all work out, when the time is right.
 
It IS working out right now. You're doing great and you're heading in the right direction...healing...as opposed to the deterioration that was happening before your surgery. I know progress may feel slow, but the steady improvements you've made all add up. You're regaining strength, stamina and getting your mobility back.
You're a champ Legseleven. :egypdance:
Have a great rest of the afternoon, evening and week!
@Legseleven
 
You're on track for a great recovery. So much of it takes place in the activities within each tiny cell of our bodies, doing what they need to do like busy little bees. Our priorities and wants are of no importance and so this marvelous process can't be rushed!
 
Thank you @mendogal, @Layla, and @benne68 I appreciate your wisdom and support so much. Yes I had no idea what to expect, but not much scares me and from what I’ve read on here this is a good recovery, especially for bilateral surgery.
This next part is quite deep, and perhaps comes from regular reflective practice. What’s not often mentioned is that part of this very physical healing also becomes a journey into the self, especially when you live alone. Past griefs pop up, and it’s enough to notice them, acknowledge them and I have learned over the years how to both sit with and then process them. It’s a surprise to be back there again, but entirely understandable. There’s no longer an immediate distraction, escape or outlet, because so many of my usual activities are not currently possible while the knees are at the current stage of healing, so it’s back to patience again. Perhaps I’ll get the pack of cards out.
 
Last edited:
I agree about the reflective part of recovery. When going through all this, how could one NOT look at the wonder of our bodies, the fragility of life, and be amazed that it is all going on right in front of our eyes. It’s an excellent point, @Legseleven. Hope you enjoy your relaxing day and evening.
 
Ps: I discovered tonight it’s the ibuprofen that gives me the slight rash. Only had one dose of 400mg tonight after a meal, 20 minutes later the rash was back. Worse than yesterday and took one fexofenadine. It’s a pity as it’s always been so good for pain and swelling for me.
 
Ps: I discovered tonight it’s the ibuprofen that gives me the slight rash. Only had one dose of 400mg tonight after a meal, 20 minutes later the rash was back. Worse than yesterday and took one fexofenadine. It’s a pity as it’s always been so good for pain and swelling for me.
You may find a switch to another over the counter NSAID like naproxen is chemically different enough to not cause a reaction, or tomorrow reach out to your health care team for guidance.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom