Bilateral PKR On the other side

Great news! I hope he's a good match for you. I do believe your well measured approach to healing has worked in your favor and I'd hate to see anyone start pushing you, but also feel confident you won't let that happen. :wink:
Keep on keeping on, you're doing it right! :thumb:
@Legseleven
 
Hello Day 37. Not such a great night, sure, we all know happens sometimes, and it’s not always due to the knees only this time it was. Slightly deeper pains, from deeper healing. I know it’s all good.
No pedals today (10 revolutions yesterday), as I really needed something from the top floor, which no one else could find. So I went up the additional flight, very slowly. Iced straight after. Will have my usual walks today too, a bit later. I no longer come down stairs with the foot sideways, I can now keep it straight. Before the op the left leg was always positioned sideways on the down steps.
Plus my food shopping came, delivered to the kitchen table right next to fridge and freezer, so put it all away. Now off with my grabbers to hang up some laundry, @Layla it’s my role as Edward Scissorhands again.
Then back to reading, TV, jigsaw, crochet, and maybe a bit of art. It’s a peaceful and gentle interlude in a usually busy life.
I think one of the hardest things to adapt to is the slowness of it all: the speed at which I move now, compared to previously, the single tasking now instead of decades of multitasking, the planning which goes into tasks to make them achievable, instead of pure spontaneity, and after years of caring for others I apply everything I’ve learned to myself. It’s working out just as it should, however some days it feels like a little more company would be good.
Have a great day everyone.
 
Hi Legseleven...Happy Wednesday!
I'm sorry the overnight was not that great. You're right though…less than optimal nights happen.
Great news on the improvement descending the stairs. Every bit of progress counts! I love seeing you keep your sense of humor through all. It's such a healthy strength, lifting not only you, but others too. Your words made me smile. :)
It’s a peaceful and gentle interlude in a usually busy life.
The way you're taking it all in stride is so inspirational, especially as a bilateral! There's no limit to the amount of times you can stop by here in a day. So when you're feeling bored, check in, we'll be here! :wave:
 
Yes, the slowing down and the single focus were both key parts of every surgical recovery for me over the years. Knowing it doesn't have to be forever yet being able to relax into this mode is so very helpful.

I hope you're able to reach out for a little more local visitor support. Meanwhile we're here for you.
 
During my recovery I had to take care of my house, yard, and numerous rescued kitties. These daily activities kept me busy, but I found time to rest. When I had to do an extra activity, I took a day off the next day, with no extra activities. If trying to do everything at one time only set me back with extra pain and swelling. Resting is so important to this recovery!
 
Thanks all, much appreciated. I know I’m doing well however the rather nebulous timescale, especially re: the issue of getting one’s strength and stamina back, can be challenging.

On the point of spontaneity, mentioned earlier today, a friend rang just before lunch, then rocked up and I had my first outing to the garden centre for a late lunch. It appears mid week afternoons are the go to for all of us with walking aids to visit there. It was full of wheelchairs and rollators. So instead of a walk in the lane today I have explored the car park and garden centre on my crutches. It’s actually further than one thinks which belies the question above about rebuilding strength and stamina.

I’m quite tired now and then we watched Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile. A perfect afternoon. Thanks all.
 
Will see how it goes tonight, just climbed the stir a to Bedfordshire (old English saying and County). Now have hot knees and cryocuffs are downstairs.
See how tonight goes. Nice to be in my own bed after 37 days.
Could run cold water on knees if need be.
Night all.

Edited: Day 38, woke up in my old bed, yay. A bit more comfortable, still a lot of turning due to back/knee pain, but not as pronounced. Result.
 
Last edited:
I love garden centers! Especially the big ones that have so much more than plants, containers and gardening tools. They're usually bright and inviting, at least when they have skylights and it's sunny outdoors. Cafe's are an added bonus! Good to read you had a nice afternoon. Hopefully they'll be more garden center visits in the near future for you. Happy Thursday...hope it's a good one for you so far. :friends:
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla yes it was good.
Day 38, yay, progress, I can manage the 3 small steps R, L, R going up some of the time. The big stairs are harder as taller so still better leg to heaven etc.
Drove the car to a friend’s for a cuppa, 3/4 mile each way was far enough but still progress.
Now icing and elevating again and understandably tired. Biggest issue is getting in/out of the car as need door wide open and no temporary blue badges available here.
 
Last edited:
Day 39. Sleeping upstairs now every night. Slept ok, yet it doesn’t feel restful if you get what I mean with so much moving and turning through the night to relieve the pain/discomfort. Woke after 7 and walked around, did some exercises for my back to relieve the low back pain that I keep waking with. Next I read the papers online then surprisingly had to have another sleep because the energy drain crept up, and gave me no choice. Hoping the physio can help me with the back issues on Wednesday.

The big stairs are still the hardest thing for me, but the small steps are now easier, so I know it’ll come. Will try the big stairs twice a day now, just to progress a little.

Doing a few more house jobs too. Tomorrow I’ll have been home for 2 weeks, so it’s all progressing nicely. There’s some small wins like coming downstairs with the left foot straight instead of sideways; I’m not yet better than before the op, but I will be.

Have a great day.
 
I’m not yet better than before the op, but I will be.
YES! You will be!
It takes patience, but you're doing it....and you're doing it in the best of ways.
Happy Weekend to you, Legseleven. :wave:
 
did some exercises for my back to relieve the low back pain that I keep waking with
I dealt with back pain after each of my surgeries. I think a large part of it is the low back trying to adjust to the body's new alignment. Doing some stretching is really helpful. What kind of exercises are you doing?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom