Bilateral PKR On the other side

We have seen that no two knees recover the same, even on the same person, whether bilateral or separately, so don’t be surprised if one seems to do better than the other. One of our former staff members wrote the following:

I watched a bilateral knee replacement when I was a nursing student. The patient happened to be a neighbor. It was quite a comfort to him that I was there. I was not that physically close to the surgical area because that's a super-sterile area. They wear space suits so they're not even breathing near the wound. I was by the patient's head. They did the left knee first and then the right, which went easier because they'd figured out the correct components on the left which means there was more tourniquet time, more putting on and taking off of components, and generally tweaking of the artificial joint on the left. So it was no surprise that the patient's right knee recovered more easily and with less swelling. Who knows how much each of our knees get tweaked and manipulated during the surgery, resulting in more tissue trauma?
 
It sounds as if your on the correct healing path. We know our bodies best. I love your attitude. You've got this.
 
You're doing great, Legseleven! One week under your belt already tomorrow!
May the next week be better than the last...I'm sure it will be. :yes:
Have a peaceful evening and hopefully a good night's sleep! :yawn::sleep:
@Legseleven
 
So here am I, sleepless in England as the Dawn chorus starts.
First few nights had no issue and I knew to expect this. Did sleep 2 hours then alarm for pills went off followed by loo trip with assistance as legs go dead while sleeping and my BP plummets. Not a good mix. Never slept since then and next pills due in an hour.
The good news to date is that the left leg, with assistance of the leg lifter, will now go flat on the floor. Previously I’d have to rest it on the walking frame. I’ll take that win for now.
Surgeon said legs would always be different experience even if done separately.
I keep blessing and thanking my right leg because it has helped so much.
Q: When does sit to stand pain start to ease? It’s absolutely the worst part.
 
The stand to sit pain should lessen as the swelling reduces. Even if you don’t see external swelling, the knee compartment is so compact that it doesn’t take much fluid to let you know it’s there.

Don’t be afraid to take a nap during the day if you’re tired. You need the sleep however you can get it.
 
Sat in the chair twice with feet on the floor for longer today, even had my lunch sitting in a chair. Was going to have another go this afternoon, but listened to my body which said rest so I had a nap.
Finally beginning to be able to eat a little more too which also helps.
 
Sat in the chair twice with feet on the floor for longer today, even had my lunch sitting in a chair
Awesome! I'll bet it felt good to accomplish that.
Glad you're listening to your body, Legsevleven. Pay attention to those signals of pain, stiffness, swelling and low energy using them to guide your activity level in these early weeks especially.
You're doing great! :thumb:
 
I seem to have had my first outing with the ODIC. So done less today. However the extra rest causes its own issues too with discomfort on the calves especially, and sometimes thighs, when in bed. Tried the UK LD equivalent again today and my knees hate it. So I stand up on the walking frame and ‘walk’ on the spot to relieve it. It’s a fine balance, for sure. Like walking a tightrope with bad knees. I have to get up every night 2 or 3 times for the same reasons. It’s a foam pressure mattress.
Onwards.
Tomorrow will be better.
Ps on checking my step count, although I’ve had a quieter day, I’ve had to get up and down and move for the leg pain. So actually the count is higher. It’s a big room and bathroom. 1700 steps.
 
Last edited:
So I stand up on the walking frame and ‘walk’ on the spot to relieve it. It’s a fine balance, for sure. Like walking a tightrope with bad knees. I have to get up every night 2 or 3 times for the same reasons.
I had a similar experience with each of my knee surgery recoveries. Several times each night, I would awaken to aching in my legs that was only relieved by getting up and walking back-and-forth in the hallway.

Other members have reported the same so I don't think it's a function of the type of mattress -- just part of the recovery.

Remember that you are still very early days and it will improve with time. Meanwhile, keep listening to your body and let it guide you.
 
It’s been a challenging few days, I felt like I hit a wall of pain on standing up especially on Wednesday night, it was the worst it’s been. I rang the hospital and they added in an additional med. Today I feel human again.
Clearly healing is well underway as I get occasional tingly waves going up/down my legs from the knees, it’s hard to describe.

The only way is up. I knew it’d be tough, and the tough keep going.
 
I'm glad the extra med has helped to calm down that pain some. Now, that you are feeling some better, don't overdo! It is so easy to do things we shouldn't be doing yet, when we're feeling better, but that will cause increased inflammation, leading to increased pain and swelling.
 
I can report slow and steady progress.
The left leg is slowly re-awakening, I no longer need the leg lifter to get on or off the bed, although the bed height is controllable, which helps.
I can now sit longer, so I’ve been out in the wheelchair for a bit, then back to bed for ice. I’m very mindful not to push too much and am happy with this gentle progress, and I know recovery is not a straight line. Using the cryocuffs frequently by day and night.
 
I no longer need the leg lifter to get on or off the bed, although the bed height is controllable, which helps.
I can now sit longer, so I’ve been out in the wheelchair for a bit,
Yay for progress! Celebrate all of those victories, no matter how small. You're doing great, Legseleven.
Happy Sunday!
 
Dressings off today. Healing well.
Physio happy, I said no to left leg when she wanted to push it to measure.
Extension not bad, not measured, but pressed down on her hand enough. Better on R, but L was slightly reduced before the op. Flexion Left leg 80, Right leg 90. Pretty good considering the left leg only came back to life 2 d ago, and it was only 5 days ago I was able to put it to the floor. Can stand unaided at sink etc.
I’m getting too good for the frame now, but hopeless on sticks, they wobble too much, and I don’t feel safe. I feel much more secure on the crutches. So crutches for out and about, and the frame still for middle of the night when half asleep. I’m looking forward to getting outside too.
They told me today that the patella replacement was the most painful of all the knee ops! Oops too late now. So glad of the cryocuff.
Got refill pain meds. I’m to reduce the naproxen first. Onwards.
 
This is good progress. Sometimes things go a lot slower than we’d like them to, but you’re doing a great job staying in charge of your recovery. You know your knees better than anyone and it was wise to insist that the therapist not push you.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom