Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR On the other side

Did a few more stairs twice today and round the garden with family. Icing after each exertion.
Plan is more steps tomorrow, then next day go up in lift and down main stairs for two days before attempting going up.

My shower is truly one of my daily joys.
 
Showers are the best! After so much down time due to limited mobility a shower makes you feel independent and normal again. Just take it slow, be careful and enjoy those mental boosts. Happy Monday!
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla

Day 21. I’m progressing well. Almost no pain meds now. None yesterday at all, but took some today as I woke up with severe low back pain at 5 am and 8 am. Had to get up and walk round on crutches to try to alleviate as well as pain meds.
We’ve had a huge shift in the weather, and sleeping with an open window, my room was very cold today. That might have triggered it. The back is a lot better tonight so hopefully just one of those things.

Steadily increasing walks and steps, icing after each exertion session.
 
I empathize about low back pain, @Legseleven. I struggled with it after each my surgeries; I think it was from spending so much time lying on my back. Movement also helped me.

I'm so impressed with your progress, you Brave Bilateral. Sounds like you are almost ready to go home!
 
Slight hiccup today.
Big energy drain late morning, probably moving about too much. ODIC?
Laid on bed flat, without sleeping. So did less after that then stiffened up somewhat.
Just doing final icing before sleep.

Back to @Layla’s pic.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side
 
Aww, I'm so sorry :console2: The energy drain happens for sure.
I hope it's not the ODIC, but that happens easily enough also. Most all of us have been there.
With rest / ice you'll hopefully sleep well tonight and be feeling better in the morning. Please let us know.
Hugs
@Legseleven
 
Thank you @Layla.
Pacing better today.
Still working on the stairs. Went up the big flight today and back down in the lift.
Tomorrow planning up and down in one go, and the next day the reverse.
 
Morning. A mixed day. Day 25.
Mount Everest success. (The big stairs)
Slept really well, however woke up with severe low back pain.
Plus today my body decided to release some of the physical trauma with several bouts of weeping for no reason. I know it’s that because I’m not at all depressed or sad.
Every day is different.
 
Now I know I can manage the stairs I’m sticking to the flat today.
The big flight is doable with additional heat and swelling afterwards, I know this will pass.
At home I will always be able to rest in between the up/down, and hopefully the knees will adapt quite quickly. I’ll sleep downstairs and the Cryocuffs will be downstairs too.
I’m looking forward to going home but this convalescence stay has given me the strength and the confidence to be able to progress to the next stage.
 
At home I will always be able to rest in between the up/down,
This is what’s good about how our daily activities equal exercises, and they are spaced out, time wise, in a natural way, rather than a list of reps of exercises done all at once.

and hopefully the knees will adapt quite quickly
However, not much happens quickly in this recovery, so be prepared for that. :flwrysmile:
 
Day 26 and will go home after lunch. So pleased, I now seem to have plateaued here, but it has been a good experience and was the right decision for me. Especially as I was so unwell post op and I had an inhibited left leg for 14 days.
Right knee brilliant in all aspects, left knee not so much. All as expected as Left knee was worse before with two issues plus it’s had two procedures (arthroscopy and PKR). It’s more swollen therefore stiffer and movement more restricted. Might try NSAID in a day or two to help this. Still frequently applying Cryocuffs for comfort and swelling. Two machines have been essential, and was good advice from the hospital nurse.
Hoping home beds will improve the low back waking issues, certainly caused by sleeping flat on back with extended legs. Surgeon likes legs flat. May try the 3 pillow photo suggestion from here, with old pillows. I found the Uk equivalent of the lounge doctor for me is a complete no, I’ve tried a few times and the legs protest. Maybe down the line it will be useful. Time will tell. Interesting how we are all so different.
Been on only 2/3 doses paracetamol/day for a few days now. More discomfort than pain and in the mornings more for the back than the knees. Have walked around regularly here on crutches, utilising the big spaces as it eases the low back and stiffness in left knee. I’ve only had Patellafemoral replacements and resurfacing, so the medial/lateral compartments remain intact, and in the long run that must make a huge difference.
Looking forward to seeing my friends and accessing some good box sets (daytime Freeview is dire) not to mention fresh green veg, salads, kefir and Greek yogurt to restore my gut health after all the meds. The Online shopping order comes later today.
Chapters 1 and 2 now complete and I’ll settle in at home for Chapter 3. Hope to see the physio week of 18/08, and the surgeon’s appt is at the end of the month. I’m not yet better than before, but I know it’ll come with time and it will be fine.
 
Left knee was worse before with two issues plus it’s had two procedures (arthroscopy and PKR)
If you would please share the dates of those prior surgeries, we will add them to your signature. It's important for us to have your full surgical history so we share the best advice and information with you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Safe travels home today, Legseleven! Sounds like you've made great progress and hopefully feeling confident in returning home to your own space and establishing your routine there. I'm guessing it will all fall into place easily enough for you with a few weeks of healing already under your belt. Update us on how you are doing once you've had a chance to rest and settle in. Best Wishes!
@Legseleven
 
Thanks everyone. Pottered at home. Shopping came, carried into kitchen for me. Going very steady. Turned irrigation timer on, few tweaks of furniture arrangements by DD. Had tea sitting up on my bed. Bliss.
Coping with 3 steps to/from loo ok, however I do have to concentrate for the steps.
A friend left some lovely goodies including newly dug potatoes, I scraped a few while sitting on the perching stool. Opened the post. Worked out which chairs work for me, and which don’t.
Tomorrow plan is to go upstairs for shower and sort out clothes etc. Little steps.

No prior surgery @benne68 the arthroscopy was just before the PKR in the same surgical session, left leg. R leg just PF PKR. Diagnosis for L was torn meniscus, as well as Patellafemoral bone on bone. He said he’d look at it first and it would all be done in one go.
 
Last edited:
So here I am in my home and doing ok and I have to think very carefully about everything I do.
The stairs treads are deeper here, so that takes more strength and energy and until I’m stronger I definitely need another person in the house before going up/down. The few steps to the loo, or garden are fine to do, everything is done at a snail’s pace. This does take some getting used to.
Showered ok, again with someone in the house. Still icing often.
Upped the pain meds a little. Just added in 400 mg ibuprofen after lunch.
Will have the soup a friend left and a sandwich for tea and try out my push trolley.
We’ve taped two pillows, staggered together with masking tape to make my recliner flatter for the legs.
I keep moving around, sitting, walking, resting in bed etc.
Scars just starting to itch inside as the deeper healing progresses, all normal.
Keep up the great work everyone.
 
Last edited:
I like your patience, positive attitude and measured approach to healing, Legseleven.
You're doing great! Keep up the good work. Icing may help the itch at this point when it's really bothering you.
Enjoy the rest of the day. :)
@Legseleven
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom