Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR On the other side

Thank you @benne68 and @Jamie
The other thing she wanted me to do is full leg lifts from the hip. It feels a bit too soon for that to me. I’m sure you’ll know.

How long are crutches/sticks usually used for? I can walk through them not just matching feet together. If you get what I mean?
I don’t want to either strain the joints without enough support, or use aids longer than I need to.

I plan to roam about using the space here as much as I can while I’m here, and when I feel the legs are doing well and there’s no increase in pain, I’m then going to start on stairs daily, ready for home. I did 3 today with one crutch and the handrail.
 
Don’t worry about using your walking aids for extended periods. Your body will not get dependent on them and it’s better to continue their use until you can walk with a good strong gait rather than dump them too soon. Never, ever try to walk without aids if you have even a slight limp as that can mess with your body’s alignment and cause soft tissue problems.
 
I don’t want to either strain the joints without enough support, or use aids longer than I need to.
I would think, especially with bilateral, that you’ll be using some sort of walking aid for several months. I only had one knee done, and I used my cane for about 4 months. It took a while for my balance to stabilize.

And don’t let anyone tell you when you should give it up, that is your decision alone, and it varies for each of us.
 
I did 3 today with one crutch and the handrail.
Great, Legseleven! Sounds like you're being sensible in your recovery. Taking it slow and easy and hopefully without setbacks. Keep it up, you're doing well! :yes:
 
A better day today. With the dressings off, the pain has significantly reduced. Still frequently icing and gradually reducing the pain meds. Had several walks on the crutches spaced through the day, then rest and ice. Same again tomorrow and then keeping the walking up and starting on stairs on Friday. Just a few to build strength and tolerance, increasing gradually as the week goes on, so that I will be able to safely manage the stairs, once a day to start with, when I’m home.

Already I’m glad I had bi-lateral as the right one has been a blessing, not forgetting normal post op pain. The left one would have been done first and it’s been more of a struggle, inactive quads, more swelling worse pain etc, plus not forgetting the horrible after effects of all the meds in the hospital.
I wouldn’t have gone back. So now I feel like I’m ahead.

Onwards…
 
Having both done is a good way to go. Now, that is behind you, and you don't have to worry about that second surgery! Remember that 'easy does it' is the way to go!
 
Slept a little longer last night and getting up in the night for the bathroom, or just to get comfortable is becoming a fraction easier. Yay!
Today’s goal, and the goal of the week is to start on stairs today and progress as the week goes on. I did 3 steps down/up twice. Ouchy. Icing now. I have to admit it was harder than I thought bearing in mind how well I’m doing overall. This now makes the full stairs look like Mount Everest.
Will repeat twice more today, a few hours apart. Had to turn feet sideways for going down.
It will get easier. Onwards.

Ps just done second visit to 3 steps, this time put more weight through the crutch, and it’s a little easier. Icing again.
 
Last edited:
Yes, it will get easier. Since you are just starting the stairs, why not do them just one more time today and see how you do tonight and tomorrow with swelling and pain. Remember that the slow turtle wins the race!
 
just to get comfortable is becoming a fraction easier. Yay!
Yay...progress!
just done second visit to 3 steps, this time put more weight through the crutch, and it’s a little easier. Icing again.
Way to go, champ! Soon you'll be navigating those stairs fearlessly and like a pro. It all takes time and you're doing well. Happy Saturday! :SUNsmile:
 
“ why not do them just one more time today “

I’m a little confused. do you mean do them or not do them?
I’m icing after for half an hour.
 
Last edited:
I think you meant to tag @sistersinhim

Since she is not on the forum, I believe I understand what she meant.
Instead of doing the stairs two more times today, since you already practiced twice today, don't risk pushing it and only do them one more time today, for a total of three times today! Guessing she suggested this because you typed, "Ouchy" :wink:
Until later...take care!
@Legseleven
 
Personally I think your doing great. I think playing dominoes was an excellent idea. Good for you.

I know with me personally icing was always so wonderful. I thought I could feel my knee relaxing! Of course it was me that was relaxing, but I gave the knee the credit.
 
Day 19 photograph attached.
Healing well.
Sleeping better, approx 10.15 to 1 am, take paracetamol, walk and pee, then again until 6 am. I think more exercise is helping this and that’s more like my usual sleep pattern.
Still on paracetamol 4 x day, sometimes going over the six hours if asleep.
No longer setting alarms for pills, preferring sleep.
Still on 2 Nefopam, twice in the daytime and last night only took one before sleeping.
Using cryo cuffs a lot for pain, and post exercise to prevent swelling, I have the pressurised ones. Initially, I used them probably 5 hours a day, now it’s a bit less. So icing once in the night instead of 3 times. I’m sure that’s why the wounds look so good and the swelling is under control.

More walking, sitting and stairs today, and trying to work out what assistance will be needed when I go home in a week’s time. I think to start with I’m going to need someone in the house when I shower, and go up/down the stairs for the shower, and with a few chores etc. My daughter will be able to help me unpack and stay just for the first night and going forward I have a few kind people lined up to help. I’m doing an online grocery shop to arrive after we get home. Another seven days will see further progress and increase in strength and tolerance.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] On the other side
    IMG_4109.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
Wow, you are looking really good for just a couple of weeks out! I know you'll be glad to get back home. Your first couple of days you will probably experience more pain and swelling because you'll be more active. Don't worry, that's completely normal. As you learn what your knees will like and not like, and "obey" them, you will be fine.
 
Hello and Happy Saturday!
I think to start with I’m going to need someone in the house when I shower,
It's good your daughter will be there for a night. Sneak in a shower before she leaves so you establish a temporary routine on showering at home. You should be okay on your own after she leaves since you'll be 3.5 weeks into your recovery. Smart planning to order groceries for delivery ahead of time and line up friends to look in on you. Your incisions look good and you're doing great so far, Legseleven. May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
 
think to start with I’m going to need someone in the house when I shower, and go up/down the stairs for the shower, and with a few chores etc. My daughter will be able to help me unpack and stay just for the first night and
This all sounds really sensible and organised.
I found a shower stool helpful but everyone varies. I also didn't shower every day in the first few weeks. It really felt like hard work and every other day was as much as I could manage.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom