TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
60, what exciting developments! :yahoo: To be able to resume your photography with agility is such a great accomplishment. woohoo!! You are on your way. I may try your vaseline trick - my two scars have healed very differently.... :shrug:
 
So you know what I did? I gave up working with physical therapists. I used what I learned on this forum and some material on arthrofibrosis and designed my own program. For the first month I did stretches only, 3 times a day, 10 long slow stretches each time. I bought an exercise ball at Walmart. I'd sit on that ball and roll slowly forward to stretch my quad, then held for 30-60 seconds, backing off if the pain > 3. It took more than a month for me to get past 90 degrees. Once I was comfortably around 110, I stopped. I just moved on and starting living life, and you know what? The ROM continued to improve without PT or any effort on my part. Once I stopped these efforts, my pain went away.

I believe the Flexeril is an attempt to give you more stretch, but it cannot give you more stretch if your tissues are angry and swollen. I'd toss the PT and the Flexeril and adopt the gentle approach. You should not hurt and certainly should not be in tears. That PT should be ashamed. But it's up to you to make choices that are pro-Miss Kitty.
:thumb::iagree: :thumb::iagree: :thumb::iagree: :thumb::iagree: :thumb::iagree: :thumb::iagree:
 
:egypdance: :dancy: Yeah!:yay: :yahoo:

Did you ever see such a crowd gone wild, for getting down on a 4 inch stool?

We have to applaud each other with gusto when so many don't know what a breakthrough it is.

Hope you have many more of these wonderful simplicities.
 
I know that there will be differences but we have a chance to go to Washington DC this summer. I wonder if I will be able to do all that walking. My husband thinks I might need a wheel chair but that seems extreme to me. For those of you around 6 months have any of you taken a vacation that required a lot of walking? Or are any of you doing a large amount of walking for your recovery? Thanks!
 
Why don't you rent bikes?
 
They have a great trolly service that goes around to all the venues in the major part of DC--you just buy your ticket for the day, get a schedule of stops, and catch it here and there to go from one place to the other. So that cuts down on unnecessary walking. It is a fascinating city---one of my favorite places to visit.
 
That sounds great! Hopefully I can manage. I imagine I will have to do a lot of icing and elevating in the evening.
 
The heat may limit walking more than your knee! I'm saying this from very very toasty Palm Springs, CA, where we're vacationing this week. My (repaired) knee is doing great, the needs-work knee, so-so, but wow is it hot. I'm a week behind you and walking pretty darned well. I agree on the trolley -- it's terrific. You'll still do a lot of traipsing, but the trolley helps. Start working up to longer & longer walks now, and you'll be good to go come summer.
Besides, if you need a break, take one. Who cares? You'll still be in D.C., and you can pick and choose what you really want to do.
 
So I tried riding my bike today. A bit different from my recumbent exercise bike. Had more trouble getting around without a bit of pain. Guess I will have to try once a week till I don't feel pain. Seems the difference in position bends your knee a bit more. I am at 120 flexion so I am surprised by the pain. Maybe it has more to do with tendon and muscle trauma especially after my manipulation. I could try raising the seat but I have really short legs and would worry I might fall. Not sure that would be good at this time in my recovery. A bit disappointed!
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
​

​
 
I am having a new problem! The back of my knee is catching, extremely painful when it happens, then it goes away. The bike is where it happens so I have stopped using it. I pray it is not something getting impinged. I just don't know what to think. Is this common?
 
Sorry I am not posting on my thread but I didn't get any response and I am really worried about this. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I started getting this sudden horrible pain when riding my recumbent bike. It would go away as soon as I stopped riding. Now it is doing the same thing if I do my leg lifts with a two pound weight. Both of these I have done for at least 6 wks without any problems. I am about 13 wks out and have stopped both of those exercises. It is in the back of my knee. I have really decreased my exercises and been doing more icing and elevating but I think it is getting worse. Coming down the stairs last night I felt a big pop in the back of my knee with sudden pain. I am not doing more activity so I can't figure it out. It actually feels like it is catching. The only thing I can find on the internet similar is tissue impingement that could be a possibility. I am so scared I might need it scoped. Anyone had something like this happen. Did it go away or did you have to have something done?
 
I have not called him because I thought if I just rested for several days it might get better. It did but then when I resumed it happened again. I'm just actually afraid to call because I don't want to hear anything bad. I am hoping this is just part of the recovery process. But since no one else seems to be having this issue I am more worried. I guess I will have to call tomorrow.
 
I wouldn't worry too much, but I would still call the Dr to put your mind at ease. Keep me posted.
 
Please, please let us know what you find out today! I'm hoping it's a normal occurence, but it doesn't hurt to find out. You'll feel better knowing, too. I'm sure looking forward to the days when our lives don't revolve around these stupid knees.....bet you are, too!!! I KNOW those days are in our future.....somewhere!
 
Sorry I am not posting on my thread but I didn't get any response
If you get missed, just keep posting in your thread then it will rise to the top of the forum. What we call 'bumping'!
About 1½ weeks ago I started getting this sudden horrible pain when riding my recumbent bike. It would go away as soon as I stopped riding. Now it is doing the same thing if I do my leg lifts with a two pound weight. Coming down the stairs last night I felt a big pop in the back of my knee with sudden pain.
Tendinitis is an accumulative thing. You can apparently do something for a few days or weeks without a problem then the area suddenly becomes inflamed and painful. Have a look at this and tell me exactly where the pain is using the grid references. Unless you indicate otherwise, I shall assume your references to be at the back.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
 
It is between C & D on the back side between L2 and L3. I do have a new not bad pain on and off lateral side moving toward the back as well but it isn't the same pain but it is new. The other is an instant debilitating pain where you have to stop suddenly. It goes away once you stop the movement but it can ache in the same spot for a little afterward. Thanks
 
60Mom,

I agree with the others to have your OS take a look at it. There are several reasons for this to happen. Some are self limited such as tendinitis, scar tissue, or mild instability that could get better with rehab. However, there are other conditions that could be problematic such as a piece of cement getting caught in the soft tissues, soft tissue impingement, instability from tendon injury, failure of the prosthesis, etc...

The best way to figure this out is with a good physical exam, and reviewing your x-rays. Your OS should give you more insight when you see him/her.

Orthodoc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom