TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
60mom so sorry about the medican. I can't understand this not giving pain pills but I have had the same problem with my doctor. I talked to him and and he then agreed to give them to me. I told him I document every dose and if he would like to see the book I would bring it so he could see it. Now he seems to be more open to give them to me for now. Please take care of yourself. Have you read the articles in the liberary on depression and feeling the blues. Please come here and post so we know you are ok. Tashia Josephine may have some ideas on what to do.
 
All of a sudden I have developed pain that feels like it is in the knee cap for 2 days. Very achy and throbbing. Trading between Ibuprofen and Tylenol, icing and elevating, but not really helping.
He did order me Celebrex (I have an ulcer)
Have you had this ulcer a long time? Have you been tested for helicobactor pyloris? This is a bacterial infection which causes ulcers and can easily be cured by a short course of antibiotics. In the meantime if you have an ulcer you should not be taking NSAIDs of any description. Very dangerous. Does your surgeon know you have an ulcer?

And does "trading between" mean you are ringing the changes between medications, icing and elevating?

Some tips:
- elevating is for when there is a combination of pain and swelling. If you have minimal swelling, it's not so beneficial and won't really help with other kinds of pain such as you are describing
- how often are you taking the Tylenol and how much? In your situation, I would suggest that you need to take 1,000mg 4 times a day regularly
- perhaps some heat, not too excessive, might be more helpful than icing. Or try moist heat instead
- it also sounds like you should be doing some Extension: exercises for improvement.
 
I had been taking Voltaren for many years when I developed stomach pain. They took me off of it and gave me Omeprazole. That stopped the pain. I would take Tylenol or Ibuprofen from time to time with no issues. Then years later when knee pain got worse I was put on Meloxicam. Took this awhile but started with stomach pain again and went back on Omeprazole and off Meloxicam. My understanding is Celebrex is easier on your stomach. My ulcer is not painful now but I have continued with Omeprazole and he thought we could try it for just a couple of weeks and see if it would help my pain. Usually it takes several months before the pain starts when I start taking NSAIDS for arthritis. Haven't had any testing. He didn't think I would need the Celebrex for very long since I don't need it for arthritis just to see if we can calm down my tissues.

I have been doing the extension exercises on here but it just is always painful for me. The hanging over with my feet I can only do for about 1-2 min even after all this time. I bought weights to help with the leg straightening but anything I do in that area is very uncomfortable. So it is in this area I don't know how not to take it to pain cause it always is. So sometimes I don't do them and let it rest. But when I go back to them, pain again. The flexion is easy not to take to pain this not so much because if I did I would just not be able to do any of those type of exercises at all. I just wish there was one exercise I could do for that where my knee was happy.
 
60Mom you are still in such early days and then you had the MUA. You need to be gentle with your new knee. This isnt a race to see how fast you can get the desired ROM. This takes lots of time. The extension exercises caused me lots of pain especially with the weights. Once I stopped PT, I actually started getting better ROM. If you are feeling worse after PT, then its too much. Take a few days to rest and ice and elevate and I think it will feel better. I see you have one of those docs who cut off pain meds too soon. Maybe talk with your family doc and he will prescribe something for you. Many have had to do that. I am 5 mos out and still use them. Hugs!
 
My friend who had RA had suppository NSAIDs rather than oral. Have you tried those?
 
Aren't you taking Omeprazole all the time? I have been on it for about 25 years now and can take occasional NSAIDs without problems. But I'm pleased to hear you are taking it right now. Though there is not such thing as a 'safer' NSAID.

As for the extension, it always hurts when it's difficult to get. My best routine was to just put my heel on a stool and let gravity to the rest. At first I couldn't only do it for a few seconds but gradually - very gradually - the time lengthened and things got better. I know we're always saying not to rush things but extension is something you really has to go at a snails pace. It could take months to get there.

Another thing to try is that when you are walking, take extra care that you are walking properly - heel, toe, heel, toe. It's the best kind of exercise and much better than putting weights on your leg! It goes like this

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
 
Well couldn't get Celebrex or Cymbalta. Not unless I pay a $5000 deductible. That is so ridiculous! I think I might just have to go see my GP. Must be something I could take. He just had some kind of knee surgery so maybe he will be more sympathetic.
 
Oh dear - that's not fair. But my observation has been that GP's generally seemed to be more accommodating.
 
As you heal you will find that the nerves that were damaged in surgery are starting to heal I am out 9 weeks and the feelings are coming back in different parts of the surgery area and what I have fount take the edge off with over the counter meds because the pain you are having will little be afected by pain meds.

Hang in there each day is a better day until something like this happens to change your mind

Jon
 
Thankfully today things have settled down. It seems to be responding better to heat. I found some Meloxicam so started that yesterday. Hopefully my ulcer will behave until I can see my GP. I will take my pain pills every 6 hours so hopefully can see GP soon as I have very few left. I also started back on my Anti Depressants that I had stopped probably 4 months ago. So I seem to be in a better frame of mind. Maybe they should just give you that so you don't get so depressed over such a slow recovery.
 
60mom, I had a weird pain in my kneecap (very painful) about 2 weeks ago. I mentioned it to my PT and she very gently checked it out. Come to find out it would move freely side to side but not at all up & down - it was hung up on tissue or something. (I didn't think that it being "hung up" could cause the pain that I felt, but I humored her.) She manipulated it (didn't hurt) for a few minutes and said it loosened up. The pain subsided a few hours later and didn't return, so I guess she was right after all. Mention it to your PT - he/she might be able to help like mine did.
 
Good idea I hadn't known that could be a problem. Thanks!
 
Florida1 beat me to it. Stupid sticking kneecap! It's looser now. (As opposed to the former loser knee.) Plus the nerves really do wake up oddly; kind of like some babies wake up screaming. Waaah!
 
I was just wondering today when I kept getting these sharp pains if my nerves were waking up. Maybe that is what all the commotion is about, lol. Maybe I am so lucky as to get the nerves waking up and a stuck knee cap all at the same time! Not fun!
 
When the nerves start waking up its not fun! Those little zingers hurt and don't feel good. So its a good possibility!
 
Been awhile since I have written on here. Had my MUA on 1/18/13 and was very uncomfortable for sometime. Things seem to be settling down finally. Have a new therapist and things are better there. He does a lot of manipulation with my leg hanging and I actually find it more helpful then trying to do heal slides which always seem to make it swell. So I am now flexing 115 and extension is 3. After my MUA I initially went to 122 but then dropped to 90 and my extension went to 10. So I think not too bad. I can do most things, up and down stairs normally, limp almost gone except if I get tired. Still ice and elevate a lot. This site has helped me keep my sanity in a very slow recovery.

I think the hardest part is learning what is too much verses not enough exercise. Also next time (if there is) I will not go into this with blinders on. I will make sure I get pain meds for at least 8 weeks, I will interview my PT prior so there is complete understanding of my PT not being too aggressive. I will know to not over do myself and to expect a very long recovery. So I only pray my recovery continues to go more smoothly and soon I will be glad I did this.
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
and things are sure looking up for you----nice ROM! And I can promise you that the day is coming that you will be able to post that you are glad you did this. It's still a ways off, but THE DAY IS COMING!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
and things are sure looking up for you----nice ROM! And I can promise you that the day is coming that you will be able to post that you are glad you did this. It's still a ways off, but THE DAY IS COMING!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] On the other side!
 
How are you doing this weekend, 60mom?
 
I am having problems with my scar. I am 11 wks out and for the last week or more it has become redder or more purple (in am). It had been looking better. It also feels very tight when I walk. The tight band is better after my MUA Jan. 18 but now the tightness seems to be in the scar. I have been manipulating it as my PT showed me too, to keep it from forming scar tissue under, plus she manipulates it when I am there. It is also more sensitive to clothes and bedding when I sleep. I also am waking up in the night with painful aching in my lateral thigh and down the leg. I have been very fortunate up to now with not having sleep issues. Saw my OS yesterday and he has diagnosed me with CRPS (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). When I read about that it says it is rare and often over diagnosed. Anyone been diagnosed with this after TKR or had problems with their scar this late out?. He is sending me to a pain management clinic to receive injections in my back to help. I don't know what to make of this? Josephine, have you heard of this after TKR. I am just not sure he just doesn't know what to do with me, lol. But on the other hand since he doesn't like to prescribe pain meds maybe I can get something finally! Also Josephine when you have an MUA does it set you back and by how much? I am not sure if I should consider myself 11 wks out or go from the MUA which would make me about 6-7 wks? Thanks for any light you can shed. I look up scar but I just don't see anything about someone having issues with it like I am having.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom