TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an appointment Friday.

Meanwhile another issues has come up. When will these problems cease. I am a person that rarely has to see a doctor, ugh! Last Thursday I developed a severe toothache went to the dentist and need a root canal on a tooth I had work done on on 3 years ago. It has been cold sensitive on and off since then so I guess it just had enough and finally died. So I am on antibiotics and have the root canal tomorrow. Yesterday I developed what I thought was probably thrush on the roof of my mouth (fungal infection which can be caused by antibiotics) so I started eating a lot of yogurt. Well today it seemed worse so I found a smaller mirror and had a good look. It is not white and looks like an abscess right about where the tip of that root would be at on that tooth. Yikes, that is probably not a good thing after having a TKR. I know they don't always clear up easily and am very worried about infection getting to my new knee. Fortunately I have been on the antibiotics for a week but why would the abscess develop 3 days after starting the antibiotics? Just one more thing to make me worried. I will have to talk to the Endodontist tomorrow to see if I should be on them longer, or would it be better to take the tooth out? I just want to stop worrying it is just getting too stressful. Just never knowing what might happen. Going on the internet sometimes just makes worrying worse because you read about more horror stories then good outcomes. :headbang:
 
Oh sorry to hear you are going through all this, mom. Nothing I can say that will be constructive or helpful, just that I am thinking of you and hope things improve :flwrysmile:
 
Hang in there. I know it seems like everything is hitting you at once. I am right there with you and know the frustration all too well.

I developed plantar fasciatis in my non TKR heel a few months after my revision, struggled with it for a few more months, then finally relented and had a cortisone shot in the heel...ouch, that really hurt. It does seem to be helping though.

Then I went to see my endocronologist last week as we have been watching nodules that are on my thyroid for the past few years. This time he said they had grown and one on particular had really grown and is now pushing on my windpipe. So, now I have to have my entire thyroid removed and be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. I saw the surgeon on Monday and scheduled this for late May.

It's so upsetting when all you want to do is get your life back. I have been moping around now for weeks feeling pretty sorry for myself, which is translating to everything I do. I know it could be worse and I know I am blessed to have good insurance. I just want to be done with docs for a while, a long while....

So, as I said hang in there. I hope the tooth work goes well and the OS has answers for you. It will get better, really it will.

Dawn
 
Well had the dreaded root canal and "no pain". I was so scared. But I also knew to be on antibiotics for a week before letting them touch me. He wasn't concerned about the possibility the tooth was abscessed. If it was it was clearing up. He is going to keep me on antibiotics for another week just to be on the safe side.

I see my OS about my knee tomorrow to figure out what these new pain issues are about.

My husband had to see the radiologist to set up 8 wks of radiation for prostate cancer. But when we got there she said she is moving her office to WA (just 25 min away) for a newer cancer center using Cyberknife. Only one week of radiation instead of 8. It doesn't open till the end of June. He will probably go with that and may be the first patient they will accept. His cancer is early so he can safely wait.

So much going on I am spinning. But I am so glad one is over so can cross that off the list, lol.
 
Wow, you've been hit six ways from Sunday, or whatever the expression is. Good healing, to you and your husband.
 
Well not so good news. Saw my OS and I might need to have him go back in. Probably tissue impingement. We did not discuss open or arthroscopic. I go back in 3 wks and see if my knee keeps catching. I did ride my bike :bicycle2: last night and it didn't happen but I rode at a snails pace very carefully. I also came down the stairs and it didn't happen, but again very carefully. I won't be surprised that if I rode or walked down the stairs the way I should be able to that it would happen again. So frustrated! Especially since my manipulation I have gone to a new PT who is very gentle and I am much more conscious of over doing. I elevate and ice every time I sit down for the most part so I know this is not a result of doing too much. But I have to look on the bright side. I have good extension and flexion now and this is just another bump in the road. Once it is fixed I should be good, right?
But my savings will be depleted hence no trip to Ohio, Niagara Falls and DC. Maybe next year! :tantrum: :martini:
 
I am so sorry for the extra bump in the road for you. But you will get past this too.
 
Bump bump bump. What a shame. Luckily, it's spring, or thereabouts, so you'll be well for summer.
 
60mom so sorry about the prognosis, doesn't sound like a fair trade for having to give up your vacation plans. At least you have a gentle PT now, that's one in the win column.

Feel better!
 
I didn't think I'd been out of touch that long for so much to have transpired. Root canals are no fun; worries over whazup are no fun; and missing out on a family vacation is no fun. You've been through the mill, 60 mom.

I know it can't possibly replace actually being there and creating family memories, but it you'd like to peek at the falls, click here. Maybe it will helps wash a way a painful step or two. And then click here. They collect better pictures than we'd ever get, but they can't generate the family memories to

Hope you've had an enjoyable icecream or iced drink to put a little pick up in your day.

Thoughts and prayers.
 
Thanks, so beautiful! I haven't completely given up, lol. Some how some way I am going to figure out how to do all of this. Need to stay positive!

I got that pain again while riding today so most likely that means surgery. This is the first time I heard a pop while riding my bike. My husband heard it to and then pain though it was not as bad as it was in the past. I could tell it definitely caught and then gave way.

I am worried about the surgery especially since I don't know much about it. Didn't really want to talk about it until I have too. I am wondering if it is arthroscopic would it be done in a surgery center instead of the hospital? If it is open I suppose the hospital. Then again I am worried about the recovery and how much it will set me back. How much swelling would I have? Does more surgery mean more worry of adhesions forming. I don't want to over think this as it will just make me worry. Since it is in the back will it cause more problems with pain? I am going to make him sign something that I can have adequate pain meds for recovery otherwise I will go somewhere else, lol.
 
Bad word. Bad word. Bad word. So very sorry that you're going through this. I can't address your questions, but I can send a virtual hug. Hug!
 
Yes, I'll join in on that hug, too. :friends: If you're open to thoughts of a healing prayer session, I'll look up some places out your way, too.

I decided to do this instead since you know what might be close to you better than I do and could be helpful to others living elsewhere, too. Click here if you are interested. This global chain of healing prayer rooms was founded by John G. Lake. You can look him up on Wikipedia if you'd like to know more.
 
How's the other foot doing, Dawn? Is the shot working?

I am doing better. Last 2 measurements - 110 and then 116. Still have more to go. Guess I should get on my exercising clothes and log off. It is great to be seeing added ROM after 4 months of being stuck.
 
Hi 60 mom,

try not to worry too much. There are many ways to approach any procedure so it may be best to get the specifics from the OS. That way you will know what to expect and can prepare yourself. The very best thing to prevent additional adhesions is to control swelling, so ice and elevate, take it slow.

Martha, the shot really helped, the heel is better! Congrats on your rom, hope it keeps improving!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi 60mom. On my! So sorry for your week. I have been dealing with crazy family stuff this past week and missed your posts. I have my MRI tomorrow morning. 6 months post op for me and lots of clucking and clicking. Funny thing is that I am hoping for diagnosis. Looks good for impingement but who knows. Haven't been on my first love (the bicycle) in over 2 months. Since my OS scheduled MRI I have been relieved knowing maybe there is a solution. If not, I will have to to deal with this as my new knee. Yikes! Thinking of YOU! Sorry about your vacation plans and thank god for antibiotics!
 
Martha Prayer is the best, must keep the faith to get through the trials!

Dawn I am glad the shot helped!
 
Spinfanatic, prayers for your MRI to give your OS all the information he needs to fix what ever needs to be fixed so you can be glad you had this knee done. Function to be way better then before your TKR!
 
My clicking I'm learning may be related to little grooves that tendons make. After surgery those little grooves aren't aligned as they were and the body makes a clicking noise as it hops the grooves. My PT showed me this with her toes. Along with the increase in my ROM, I'm also hearing less clicking. This has all been truly welcome. The clicking was keeping me awake for a couple of hours or more every night for the first 6+ months post op. No fun. In an article I read I learned clunking can be something else.

I'll be curious to hear from you after your MRI. I could be wrong, but I thought our metal knees hid clear views in an MRI. Hope I'm wrong for your sake.
 
I need some help! Josephine, did I do this right to tag you? I am reading a few things here lately and am getting a little concerned about my new knee issue. I saw my OS and he is watching me for another 2 wks with the catching in the back of my knee. Then he will evaluate for another surgery. It is still catching if I do a full rotation on my bike so now I am just doing rocking. So I suspect I will need to have it done. Since it is in the back of my knee does that mean it will be open? Just read something from another post suggesting if it is in the front it could be arthroscopic but if in the back then open. If in the back I read it is very tricky because of the popliteal tendon, vein etc. Now I am starting to freak out. I was just starting to get happy with the way my knee is doing. How much of a recovery would I be looking at if it is open and if arthroscopic? I am suppose to watch my grandkids 2nd week in June as they are going away for 5 days and already booked flights and hotels. Not sure what I should tell my daughter now. Also if it is arthroscopic is it day surgery or in a surgery center? If open does that always mean in the hospital and a hospital stay. Another question is would I be doing any flexion or would it be braced and kept from bending for awhile. I know this is a lot but I want to be able to go to that next visit and not be so uneducated about what is happening that I don't ask appropriate questions. Thank you, you are such a life saver for us. I really appreciate what you do here. :thankyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom