TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, 60mom, so sorry to hear how your week has been unfolding. I'm sure Josephine and some of the other admin folks will help steer you to some good resources. It's not fun coming home to learn you have what seems like a mountain of important questions to attempt to wade through. Seems like that's sort of the name of the game in our shoes we all have a big learning curve to figure out what we need to know to help ourselves heal. I fully understand how the mountain seems higher when you need to meet up with the surgeon again in 2 weeks. I've been in that time frame a couple of times and it's no fun being where you are now - feeling the full load of the whoa - I've got a lot of figuring out to do fast - where do I start?

bottomshollow, Dhare63, referee54

I'm flagging a few others that know what it's like facing a second round surgery and might have some suggestions for you.

Holding you up prayer... and sending you a bouquet of daisies. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
I am very sorry to read of your issues with your knee still catching---you have many questions that I, right now cannot answer.

I am hopeful that others on the board can shed some light on some of your possible answers to the questions that you need addressed.

I would like to, though, take this opportunity to have you take a moment and to back up a little bit---and not worry about anything just yet. As of right now, we are not sure what course of action will be taken---and I would, right now, try not to worry so much about issues that may not actually come to fruition.

We will all keep you in our prayers for not only an end to these trying ordeals, but also some type of comfort for you so that you do not worry about it (I know that that is easier said than done!) Let us take this situation as it stands now and let it progress to what course of action will be taken---then we can help you with the "what if's" when the particulars come to light.

Hang in there!
 
I guess I want the info because it has been going on 3 wks now and is only getting worse. I really haven't been able to find anything on the internet to help. Thing is you need just the right vocab and I guess I don't know what that is, lol. I can't even make a few rotations on the bike now without it happening. My husband even heard it pop the other day and I guess if there is no pain involved it isn't necessarily a problem but mine causes sudden excruciating pain that immediately stops when I stop riding the bike. I find I can ride if I don't make a full rotation. It also has happened when I go downstairs so I think it has something to do with my increased flexion. Seems it started when my flexion started increasing over 120. I need to ride the bike as it is the only thing that I think is helping my flexion that my knee actually likes until now that is. It has never liked heal slides, always makes it swell even if I barely take it to tightness. Plus I am afraid of it happening when I am out somewhere because I almost always scream out as it is so painful and sudden. My bike was my favorite thing to do before TKR as we have miles and miles of bike trails where I live and of course the beautiful scenery is a big motivator.
 
Hi 60mom, ditto everything Tim said. You are pouring a lot of energy into worrying about something that may not even come to be. I know it's hard but you need to step back as he suggests. Let me give you an analogy; put yourself on a "diet" of what you worry about. The what ifs should not be on the diet. Soon you will know the what is, and then we can deal with that.

I think I have mentioned before, as has skigirl, that if...you have to have additional surgery, and if...it needs to be open to get behind the knee, it's not that bad of a recovery. For me, they opened the TKR scar, took out the spacer, removed all the scar tissue and released the posterior capsule. This was a 2 hour procedure and the OS said it was a lot of work. They put in new spacer, closed me up and I woke up with similar pain to the TKR originally. The first few days were similar to after the TKR, then suddenly, things improved dramatically. I had a much improved flexion and extension and was walking without crutches within 4 days. I was told to plan on a similar recovery as with the TKR but it was much easier and less painful. I followed the Bonesmart mantra to the letter and had such a better experience. My pt did lymphatic massage to move the swelling out of the joint and. Into the lymph system to drain away. I managed to ice all the way around my knee and I used compression hose after each icing to keep the swelling down. This all helped a lot.


Patience is key at this point which I know is hard. I would encourage you to stop trying to ride the bike until you see the surgeon. Two weeks isn't going to set you back at all.

Above all, stay focused in the now. Let go of what you can't control and spend your energy elsewhere. You will get this issue resolved, it simply may take time. It's taken me 18 months to get where I am today and even though that seems like an eternity, it was a small price to pay for years worth of pain free living.

Do take care and keep us posted.

Be well,

Dawn
 
I guess I am not the sit back type of person, lol. But I will try! I even did all the research for my husbands cancer. When we first heard I was on the internet for weeks. The worry for me was I would be making the decision and not him so I stepped back. But I did educated him on his options which in his case were a lot and he did come up with one. Now I am praying it is the right one, lol. So were both going through different worries at the same time, ugh! I guess I just do the partial rotations on the bike because it actually helps my knee feel better and doesn't cause it to catch. I don't do any other bending exercises I have put them on hold. Just strengthening where my knee is straight.
 
Sorry I was so late getting to this. I think most of your concerns have been addressed but then again, most of them really cannot be addressed because it's all an unknown quantity. You don't know quite what your surgeon will be doing - if anything - because even he doesn't know yet. I am tending towards the idea that your issue is more likely a case of tendonitis rather than anything catching. This is because it's occurred so long after the surgery. You're 17 weeks out now and I would have thought that if there is anything catching on an implant it would have shown up long before this.

So we are left with inflamed tendons and ligaments which could be hamstrings or any number of other ligaments as you can see here

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side!


So my conclusion, from reading your posts, is that you have been much too active on your new knee. You've not allowed it to heal and recuperate as it needs to with the result that you have some severe inflammation going on in there somewhere. I also think that if you stopped all your exercising for a couple of weeks, spent the time aggressively resting, elevating and icing and then started back with very gentle stuff in minimal quantities gradually building up over several weeks, you might see a big improvement.
 
I don't begin to have Josephine's experience. My recovery has had too much pushing by Bonesmart standards. My trip back to Michigan gave me an excuse to really cut back on all my workout routines. I came back after 2 weeks of just a little bit of exercising and found I'd gained 6 in ROM. That's said, I encourage you to give yourself permission to take a break as Josephine recommends.

Sorry to hear your hubby is dealing with cancer now, too. Mine put us through those paces 4 years ago, just before his hip replacement.

Thanks for the picture, Josephine.
 
Thanks Josephine. Gosh I thought I had really taken a much less aggressive exercise regiment since my MUA. Amazing that I am over doing it since I hardly do anything anymore, lol. I have become quite the couch potato since I was afraid of over doing it again. I have even put on 10 pounds because I am so inactive. But I will cut back completely and see what happens. :thankyou:
 
When do you decide to do the other knee? Apparently my left knee needs TKR as well. It makes a great deal of noise when I am bending. It is nice to not to hear that in my new knee! But I have never needed shots, it really doesn't cause me much pain always been the right knee that as given me the issues. It's only issue is a Bakers Cyst which gets really large when I over do it and painful. I hear they don't remove those. I wonder if they behave after you have a TKR. This current knee has had a slow recovery. So I am trying to decide do you replace it when it is bad but still relatively doing ok or do you wait till it starts needing shots. Would it be an easier recovery if it is not as bad. I do hear don't wait too long. Those of you who have had both done now, which knee caused you the longest recovery, the worst knee or does that not make a difference. Can't Believe I am even thinking about this. Only reason is I would like the second one to go a little easier. I know more now to not push the recovery. Just interested in hearing your stories and ideas after you have had them both replaced. Thanks!
 
60mom it sounds like you have your plate full. Sometimes when the plate is so full you need to pick one little thing and attend to it. Then pick one more little thing etc. When its so full you can't take on the whole plate. I read that your Husband is not well. I pray that all is well with him. Please take care and go slow. Also keep us posted on whats going on. Remember to rest, elevate, ice and pain control until you know whats up. I hope you read something that can allow you escape into fantasy for a while. :friends: Tashia :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Tashia. I am a planner, :loll: This is what happens to me when I am completely bored from not being able to do anything. :headbang: Gosh, but I miss my bike rides! I love to ride it around a small lake near me. But it will happen just not as quick as I thought :friends:
 
It will come in time. Just remember to take care of the importance stuff like your knee and your Husband. Please take care. Tashia
 
I am so very frustrated! I cut way back on any activities all week but 2 days ago my knee started to feel tight around the incision and the back of my knee. It has progressively gotten worse. Yesterday I just watched the news on the Boston Bombings and iced and elevated the entire day and night. Woke up this morning and it is even stiffer. See OS next Thursday to determine if he is going to do more surgery. Guess I am a little worried as I had an abscessed tooth 2 wks ago but was on antibiotics. I guess there is always worry about infection. I was on Celebrex but had to stop about 5 days ago due to my ulcer acting up. I was on it for about 2 wks and my knee was doing pretty good except for the catching pain with riding my bike. So now do you think this increased tightness is due to stopping the Celebrex? I didn't really have any tightness before, I started the Celebrex for pain, Or do you think the catching pain with riding my bike flared up my knee even though I stopped riding it probably 5 days ago? :gaah:
 
So I saw my OS today. Not sure what to think of my visit. On x-ray there does show a bone spur or calcium deposit on the back of the femur. But he does not think this is an issue. But I wonder. I read up on Posterior Femoral Osteophyte (bone spur) and if you have a high flex knee (which I have) once you reach a certain flexion it can impinge on the joint. He wants to do a wait and see approach for 3 months. He says he doesn't know what the problem is. Now I wonder if I need a second opinion. I still have catching with pain if I try to ride my exercise bike. It does happen at other times on occasion but always if I try to do a full rotation. I have lost flexion from 120-110 as my knee has been stiffer lately even though I have rested it for over a week. Just perplexed now and don't know what to think!
 
Hi 60mom. Wait and see is the approach my OS took up until magical 6 month anniversary. Catching was always present and discussed as possible future solution but OS was clear it was too early to consider. To my surprise and relief, conversation changed at 6 months and here I am booked for surgery on Monday. Still don't understand why I had to wait but love and respect my OS. Try not to be too frustrated. I know I was. Maybe see if OS can order MRI. Good luck and stay positive.
 
Thanks. I guess I will just do stretching and half rotations on the bike. Today hubby and I went for a walk, I think our weather is finally going to cooperate. At least for now, lol. I think I may have made him think it always happens with a rotation like every rotation. It only happens when I am going around and it maybe the 3rd or 4th rotation or later on. So he says well since it didn't happen while I was just doing bike like rotations in his office. Not the same. But he made me feel stupid. It wasn't till I got home I realized he probably misunderstood me. I guess I feel he doesn't really believe me. Like why would I want another surgery. :headbang:
 
Just catching up with your thread and am so sorry to hear you are going through so much, mom. It never rains but it pours :sigh: I can only imagine how frustrated you are. I do hope you get more positive news on your next visit to your OS. The best of luck to your hubby too with his treatment in June. I have sent you a pm on that.
 
Should I get a second opinion on my knee? My OS said "I'm sorry but I missed a bone spur" I appreciated that he was up front with me. But my last visit instead of talking about what he was going to do about it, he just blew me off. So I wonder if I need a second opinion. My knee has lost flexion and is a lot stiffer lately and I am not sure why. I have been elevating, icing and resting it but it is not changing. So I don't know if I need to see a revision specialist or not. I don't really feel that the knee is in anyway unstable so I think either it needs the bone spur removed or maybe adhesions removed or both. But I want to go to someone well known but not sure how you find one reputable. He was an online search and I went with this OS because of the rave reviews by everyone but apparently I didn't have as good a recovery as most. On my last visit his comment to me was "your body just doesn't like your new knee, see me in 3 months". He doesn't want to do anything at this time due to a risk of infection and down played the bone spur as just being a calcium deposit "really" are they not the same? It is quite noticeable on x-ray! I simply don't know what to think at this point! I could just wait it out but just not sure what I should do? :shrug:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your bone spur, 60mom. I can't offer any expert advice, but you need to ask your OS what he can/is going to do about it. If you're not completely happy with his answer, then definitely seek a second opinion. How on earth did he miss it in the first place, we have to wonder?

His comment about your body not liking your new knee is just unacceptable and unprofessional. Josephine or or someone else will come along with expert advice, I'm sure. If not, tag Josephine.

I feel for you, being in such a quandry during your recovery.
 
I had a lot of bone spurs which was why I had the surgery done. I would have thought he would have been more diligent in being sure he got them all. My other knee has them as well but they don't seem to be in areas that cause pain. I was so surprised by his comments. But he is well known and I suppose I didn't fit the usual pattern of recovery. But, that is no reason to just put me off! No doctor is never going to have patients that all recover without issues. I read that 90% will recover well. But that leaves 10% who are going to have issues. I am almost 5 months so I would think I should be seeing a better side of recovery. I just don't want to go back to him. I have been really stressed over this and lost all respect for him. The problem is who to see. I put in revision TKR specialists but don't really come up with anything. How do you know which doctors do that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom