TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few concerns: I had my sutures out Friday. Am I suppose to wear ted hose on my surgical leg now? I have been wearing one all along on my other. In the hospital they only gave me the one and I forgot to ask after my stitches were out if I need one on the surgical leg. I just assumed they only put one on because of the swelling.​
​
Also yesterday morning when I woke up I had some new swelling just above my knee on the out side. It is not red or any warmer then the rest of my leg. About the diameter of a 1/2 dollar. I had a doppler study done Thursday because of calf pain but it was negative. I hate the worrying about every little change, lol. This morning the swelling was still there and hurt a bit. Pain has decreased but swelling is still there. Any thoughts?​
 
60mom,
All new posts go to the end of your thread. When I post on your thread it will the last one (maybe on page 2or3) therefore you must go to the end of your thread and post there. I think everyone knows to go to the end of a thread to read the newest posts.
 
:merrychr: I hope you all had a great Christmas! My daughter and her family came and it was great!

I am 2 weeks out now. Went to PT today and my bend was 101 degrees. I was so much stiffer today. I think I may have over done it the last two days.

My PT said I am not really walking right. My calf is really tight. He gave me some new exercises that he wants me to focus on more so than worrying about how much I can bend. I am not really using my walker inside, just when I am out and when I first stand up. I am still having that big rush of pain down my leg whenever I stand up after elevating for awhile. It takes me a few minutes to be able to set my foot completely down. Is that normal? Maybe I watching too many of these Christmas movies and this keeps me down too long, lol They have kept me from going stir crazy. Do you think I should set my alarm for every one hour to get up and walk to see if that will help or is this to be expected at this stage?

I also still have this crazy swelling on the outside of my leg where the two holes where the scopes were placed and the drain. It showed up the day after having my stitches out. Don't see my doc till sometime in January. I called his office but he wasn't in. His nurse said she hasn't heard that one before. Great, no one commented here either so it is probably something weird with me, lol. I love it when I am different. Do you think I should check it out tomorrow or figure it is something that will eventually resolve? Doesn't bother me, is not red or bruised. But is noticeably swollen when I stand and is barely painful to touch. :merrychr:
 
Sorry you are having the swelling issue. It is not something that I had but that doesn't mean you are the only one. Anytime you have questions like this, it is best to tag Josephine or Roy Gardiner or one of the other higher ups because they have heard it all on here. If it is really bothering you, then I would call the OS back and say that you are worried about it and want to get in sooner.
I hope you figure it out soon and that it is nothing serious. Here's wishing you a better 2013!
 
I am 2 weeks out now. Went to PT today and my bend was 101 degrees. I was so much stiffer today. I think I may have over done it the last two days.
You most certainly are! You really don't need to do too much exercising at two weeks else you knee certainly will swell.
My PT said I am not really walking right. My calf is really tight. He gave me some new exercises that he wants me to focus on more so than worrying about how much I can bend.
NO more exercises! What you need is rest, elevation, ice and pain meds. What pain meds are you taking right now? By which I mean name of, dose and frequency, please.
I am not really using my walker inside, just when I am out and when I first stand up. I am still having that big rush of pain down my leg whenever I stand up after elevating for awhile. It takes me a few minutes to be able to set my foot completely down. Is that normal?
You need to use something - maybe not the walker but certainly crutches or canes. You are still only 2 weeks out, you know! :wink:
Maybe I watching too many of these Christmas movies and this keeps me down too long, lol They have kept me from going stir crazy. Do you think I should set my alarm for every one hour to get up and walk to see if that will help or is this to be expected at this stage?
Trick is to do something while you are sitting, doesn't have to be a walk. My routines were to do gentle heel slides by shuffling my behind to the edge of the seat and sliding my foot back as far as I could. Then I would lean forward a little to increase the bend but never so far it was uncomfortable. I also did tons of foot rotations, ankle pumps and muscle clenches in the calf and thigh. That should help alleviate much of that stiffness.
I also still have this crazy swelling on the outside of my leg where the two holes where the scopes were placed and the drain. Doesn't bother me, is not red or bruised. But is noticeably swollen when I stand and is barely painful to touch.
Well, follow my suggestions and see if it helps. But the bottom line is, in my opinion, that you are doing too much activity and too much PT for the stage you are at. You need to go back and read your recovery articles again.
 
I am taking oxycodone 5mg every 6 hours around the clock. It keeps me pretty comfortable and I sleep well at night. I get up once around 2:00 am and then sleep till about 7:30am. I just have that initial pain every time I get up after having it elevated. Once this pain med is out in about two days they are changing it to Vicodin. I hope that will be effective, what do you think? I also do a lot of mild leg exercises while elevating and icing most all the time. I do my PT exercises once in the morning and once at night. Most of them are different types of leg raises. It is hard to know which exercises are important and which ones are too much? Also how to deal with PT. Initially he didn't push me at all but now he is starting to a bit. So I am getting confused. Thanks for the reminder I think it is hard when you live in the U.S.
 
One thing I've learned from this forum is that different people react differently to medications. Vicodine worked well for me; hopefully it will for you too.

With your PT, ask lots of question all the time and give lots of feedback on the exercises; what is too hard, what you feel is working, what you won't do because it hurts.....

How about letting them know you are to be included in putting together your exercise program? Can't imagine they would object to someone wanting to be involved in their own care. And be sure and let them know if any exercise hurts because it shouldn't have hurt to be effective.
 
... it is best to tag Josephine or Roy Gardiner or one of the other higher ups...
You are very kind but :heehee: higher up...

Now Josephine really is, so Ms 60Mom please do like what she says.

It is possible, indeed easy, to set back recovery by doing too much too early. As we always say on here, your knee is damaged needing healing, not unfit needing training. Only when healing is well on the way will you need to train, for now you just need simple stretches, which you can do as much as you like as long as they don't hurt or make your knee swell. Otherwise, get that telly watched and that couch worn out, someone's got to do it.
 
So I went to see my surgeon to evaluate my swelling. He was not worried most likely a small hematoma from the scope. But while I was there they did not like the way I was walking. It is very hard for me to put my good foot in front of my TKR foot. He gave me an injection of cortisone in my ? I think he said bursa sac below my knee toward the inside. Amazingly the Lidocaine numbed it so I can actually flex my foot without pain. There was some mention of possible adhesions but first things first they said so I need to start using a cane and see if I can start walking better. They also said I may be over doing it. Need to see him next week. Starting to feel a bit depressed! Boy, I pray it is just swelling stiffness and nothing else and resolves soon. Anyone had issues with not walking right?
 
Anyone had issues with not walking right?

Well, I tried sending you a notification to my page but not sure it worked.
Yes, I just had the discussion on walking incorrectly with my PT.

And then some wonderful entertainment from other BS'rs on walking... quite the conversation.:heehee:
If my notification didn't work, the conversation is here starting at #672 - WALKING
 
You are very kind but :heehee: higher up...
LOL Roy! You always seem so educated that I just figured you were one of the tops. I never realized you haven't gotten that label yet. To me you deserve it! :ok:
On education I guess I read a lot, that's all. As to being part of this site's team, that was tried and didn't work out
Again, thank you anyway for your very kind thoughts.
 
60mom, I was just speaking to my aunt who had TKR just a week before you and I and we were comparing notes. She said that my uncle was amazed that she didn't have an awful, extremely painful feeling everytime she stood up like he did. He told her it was by far the worst part of his recovery a few years ago. I don't have it either, but it sounds like what you're talking about. He was told it was normal. He said he would have to stand in place for a minute or so after rising waiting for the pain to go away before he was able to move. So you're not the only one experiencing whatever that is.
Some of your other pains sound similar to what I'm experiencing with this TKR. Calf and thigh pain that I didn't have with my first TKR a few months ago. I brought it up at my 2 week check-up yesterday and was told that a lot of it was nerve related and would eventually go away. I use a heating pad for my calf and the back of my thigh from time to time when it gets too uncomfortable, so you may want to give it a try.
 
Hi 60mom, we're at about the same place on recovery! My RTK was on the 19th. I have moderate swelling, not much pain and your flex is wayyyyy better than mine. Do you have the CPM machine. I'm only at 80 on the flex on that. I'm motoring around pretty easily, still using my walker, I'm thinking of switching to the cane after my 1st. dr. apt. on the 3rd. I'm sure I'll be getting out my staples then. How much are your icing? My PT said no more than 20 min. at at time, so I'm trying to work in as many "icings" as possible, that helps, but the swelling is just being stubborn! The pain I have most is when I do the leg lifts and those heal slides. I hurt above and below the knee, feels so heavy! Do you have that?
 
My pain is in my lower calf and then a great deal of tightness in the back of my knee. I just told my dh that maybe I actually need heat on my calf before I do my walking. I am going to try that today. This morning my leg has barely any noticeable swelling compared to my good leg. Best it has looked since the surgery. My CPM Machine was only for 10 days. I am thinking I ice too much. Rarely take it off but I do keep protective coverings around my leg. But I am wondering if I am not getting enough blood flow to it for proper healing. I really don't have pain if I am not doing anything. I think it is more stiffness then actual pain. Except when I first stand up. Now that hurts. Feels like all the blood is rushing to my foot and takes a couple of minutes to be able to bare weight on my leg. Once I am up and around it goes away. I have been getting up more frequently and it is better during the day. I sleep really well so morning is when that is really bad. It is at that time that try as I might I can't get my good foot in front of my TKR foot when walking. So I tend to drag it. Today I am going to set my timer for every 1 1/2 hours. I will heat my calf a little first and then walk for 5-10 min. Then I will ice and elevate for 20 min. I always elevate so I will continue that but will stop the ice after 20 min. Will see. Thanks
 
I think you may be icing too much as well...my PT had a fit when I had my ice pad for 30 minutes...he says if you keep it on too long it has the reverse effect that you're looking for...might be your blood flow problem! I'm not having too much pain either, I thought it would be awful...but not bad a all, I'm keeping my pain meds (percoset) to 1 per 5 to 6 hours and am not having any problems. Are you getting physical therapy, maybe they can suggest something for your draggy foot! this is an experience isn't it! good luck to you.....vicki
 
Are u using crutches or a walker? I have used both and ended up with crutches cuz they help me stand up better and walk better..I was to hunched over and didn't keep my leg as straight with walker..just a thought
 
I have PT and he was talking about the way I was walking and adjusted my walker because it was set too high for me. I don't think he impressed upon me how bad my walk was so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. Wish I had. My doctor has sent him an e-mail to focus on my walk. My doctor wants me to switch to a cane but I am not very good at that yet. I can actually walk better with the walker. I think I will do both till I feel more confident with the cane. Maybe I should grab some crutches at the thrift store and see if that helps. What do you think would improve it the most?
 
@luciesmum; Im sure icing for 30 minutes at a time with intervals will not harm your recovery. I think the more you ice the better, it certainly helped my swelling. Icing and elevating is the mantra here for the first few weeks and it certainly helped me. As well as resting and taking you pain meds on time. Im sure Josephine; will advise.
 
I iced loads! I didn't time it, I sat with legs up and ice on as often as i could, at least till it melted! I strapped it on when I went to bed at night and fell asleep with it on. When I wakened in the night it was warm and i swapped it for another frozen pack.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom