TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mention of manipulation at all!..I did get a muscle relaxant because I was up all night with muscle spasms...Grr...I have an appt feb11 and then can probably go back to work..she told me just to call when I need more pain meds..I am down to taking one every 6 hours...has anyone taken these muscle relaxants..no exercises or stretching for me today..too darn tired!
 
Thats great! I no longer get pain meds. Weird! But thankfully don't seem to really need them. I can handle the little discomfort that I have because it usually only lasts a few minutes and then settles down. I have taken muscle relaxants in the past and they work great. I have not had any muscle spasms, well at least none that have lasted more than a few seconds. Prayers they pass for you as I have had them in the past and they are not fun.
 
I am a little worried about my scar. It looks like it wants to bleed just under it. It hasn't looked like this before. Is it possible at 4 wks to cause it to bleed when you exercise. The only thing different I am doing is the bike. :scratch:
 
Riding the bike should not cause you problems. I'm assuming, though that you are not doing serious riding at just 4 weeks....right? You want to be doing gentle movements like slow rocking back and forth. If you can go all the way around on the pedals, you should have no resistance and riding five or ten minutes only.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that it "looks like it wants to bleed." Can you clarify that a bit for me?
 
Thanks Jamie. It is looking better. I have been riding for 15 min twice a day. I rock until it relaxes and then go around for about 10 min. It is just looking purple now. I think it was just the change from scabs to none and probably normal healing.
 
Is there such a thing as muscle guarding causing problems with getting increased flexion? My PT seems to think this is why I am struggling as my flexion has decreased from 113 to 94. How many of you had muscle guarding when doing PT? Seems to me it is probably somewhat normal due to fear of pain. I try to keep my thigh muscle relaxed but it tends to want to rise up as I am flexing. The only way to find out if this is normal is to ask! Would a muscle relaxant help or is it all mental? If mental is there any solutions? I see my OS on Thursday!
 
I prayed hard about my appointment today. If my OS wanted to do it I would go ahead and trust his expertise. My knee was stiffer today then it has been in 2 wks. Don't know why other then this was God's plan because I probably could only bend it to maybe 85 degrees if that. I did less exercise yesterday then usual. Iced and elevated last night so no reason for increased swelling. My extension which has been about 2-4 was maybe 12. MUA 1:15 with PT to follow at 3:00. Then I will go to the pool on the weekend and try to keep things progressing. I am getting a skateboard so I can do extending that is more passive and keeps my quad out of the picture as I seem to have a problem with muscle guarding. I didn't get any response to that question so I guess others haven't experienced that. Yeah me, I always seem to have issues no one else has, lol. Do you think they will numb it up? Totally forgot about my daughters first All Star basketball game at 4:00 and I really do not want to miss it. I will take ice and elevate while there. :groan:
 
From what I have heard about mua's is that the first day is pretty painful. Not sure you are gonna make it to your daughters event. And no they do not numb it, they just give general anesthesia and do te bending.
 
Oh and I am sure Jo is going to tell you that you should not be doing a mua at this early time in your recovery. You still have significant swelling thats why your knee is not bending not bcuz you developrd adhesions.
 
That is why I had to pray about it. So much information that I am on overload! Plus I have insurance issues. As of Feb. 1st I would have to pay another $2000 deductible so waiting which is what I would have liked to do isn't an option due to finances. I have already racked up over $5000 in out of pocket costs (and probably another $2000 for the hospital that hasn't come in yet, and who knows what else) I just can't come up with another $2000 later if I find I still need this procedure in a few months. Sad that it comes down to money. We are on fixed income. In fact I hadn't even planned to do this surgery quite yet but after my husband was diagnosed with cancer in August and we had to come up with the deductible for those issues I decided to go ahead and schedule since it was just a matter of time anyway but would be less expensive this year, then if I waited after February. So I just had to pray and see what happened. Then it swells for no reason that I can think of and was worse then it was in the beginning. So there I am!
 
60mom....medical bills can be an issue even for people not on a fixed income. One thing you can do is contact the billing office for each of the invoices that comes in. Ask them to allow you to be on a payment plan. Most will give you 90 days without blinking. If that is still a problem, you can tell them you have tight finances and will pay "X" number of dollars per month until it's paid off. Normally, as long as you are paying something each month, they will not turn it over to collection. The key is to stay in contact with the billing offices so they know you do intend to pay the bills.

Good luck with your MUA. It is early to have it done, but hopefully it will help you. I agree that it would be very unwise to try and attend a game after the procedure and therapy. You will really pay in terms of pain and swelling if you attempt it....even with icing and elevating at the game.
 
Thinking about you. I can guarantee that you will love, love, love pool therapy, especially if it's in warmer water. As for "guarding," know exactly what you mean. It's sort of a fight-or-flight reflex thing. If I'm feeling tense, I put on some relaxing music before exercising and try to just chill out a bit. Sort of self-hypnosis.
 
MUA is done. Some pain so back on pain meds but when I went to PT it flexed to 122. Wow! OS said lots of scar tissue and definitely needed it done. I was surprised when I was in the wheel chair I could bend it back under the chair with ease and no pain really. Will have to evaluate the success of this over the next month but seems a whole lot better right now. I am icing and elevating and going to get up and walk a bit take some more pain meds and Ice and elevate. Going to the pool the next two days for some gentle stretching before going to Pt on Mon. Any suggestions on what the best exercises in the water are?
 
How terrific you are noticing instant results! Its a shame so much scar tissue developed so quickly, but - let the heaing begin!
 
That is just great re the instant improvement. On the pool, the big thing is not to overdo it, because it will feel sooo good. I l like just "biking" and kicks, using a noodle to hold me up. Or you can just walk side to side, forward & back. Again, don't overdo it. And I hope your improvement continues -- with less pain.
 
That's wonderful!!! You had quite a ROM improvement after your MUA!!!! And it was not as bad as you probably originally expected!! Sore, I'm sure, but not the kind of pain like from the original surgery!! I'm thrilled for you!!!!!!!

Maybe you can help ease the minds of so many people that are awaiting their MUA or are putting it off entirely because they are afraid of having terrible pain afterwards!!
 
Yahoo! So glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the update. I'm sure you're on your way now to a great recovery!
 
So glad to hear you are happy with the early results. I hope that continues for you. Please continue posting about your progress. It helps us support you, and gives great support and reassurance to others about to embark on this journey.
Hugs to you in this part of your recovery! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom