TKR On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking oxycodone 5mg every 6 hours around the clock. It keeps me pretty comfortable and I sleep well at night.
Well, if you feel that's enough, so be it.
I just have that initial pain every time I get up after having it elevated.
I think what you are talking about not every body gets but it is normal and will wear off eventually. Don't worry about it.
It is hard to know which exercises are important and which ones are too much?
All exercises are okay but doing them too much is too much! Remember the mantra - if it hurts the next day after doing it, then don't do it1 Or rather, don't do it that much.
Also how to deal with PT. Initially he didn't push me at all but now he is starting to a bit.
Another of the mantras -
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
This treatment is supposed to be by consent - informed consent. If he start pressing on your leg or such things and doesn't stop when you tell him too, then tell him off! If you withdraw consent he has no right to touch you, no right whatsoever.
There was some mention of possible adhesions
Trust me, adhesions do not develop within 4 weeks. What's stopping your knee is just swelling.
They also said I may be over doing it.
That's for sure! Try cutting back on the activity and see how it goes. Missing a couple of days of activity or exercises won't cost you anything in progress but doing too much certainly will. And remember to subtract some for being at work. You don't need work and exercises. By the way, do you take a day off from all exercises at least once a week?
I have PT and he was talking about the way I was walking and adjusted my walker because it was set too high for me. My doctor wants me to switch to a cane but I am not very good at that yet. I can actually walk better with the walker. I think I will do both till I feel more confident with the cane. Maybe I should grab some crutches at the thrift store and see if that helps. What do you think would improve it the most?
Interestingly, I was allowed a walker for one day and then my physio took it away and I had to make do with crutches from then on. I actually preferred them to a walker. So my suggestion would be to get a pair of crutches and see how you get on. Make them elbow crutches if you can, much better than the old fashioned type.
 
Hi, the only time I used a walker was in hospital while I had the nerve block. And then only used for balance to stand up by the bed. Once nerve block off I walk away on the crutches. Around a month I could walk about the house without them but used them outside for at least three months, or rather by the end of the 2 months I was down to using just one. They were elbow crutches and had a right and left one as the handles were moulded for each hand and that made them much more comfortable. Eventually I used tramping poles instead of crutches as I could collapse them and put them into my backpack then pull them out when I needed them.
 
Fortunately I am retired. I have a little home business but am taking 3 months off. So just watching TV and reading. I am trying out the cane but it is a work in progress. I will probably stop and get some crutches tomorrow and see what seems to work best. My walk is much better now with the walker but I have to make a very conscious effort to get my good foot out front. It does not come without a lot of effort. Hopefully after a few days I won't have to think about it.
 
I was discouraged from using crutches after my first TKR and I really don't remember why - I think it had to do with a walker being better suited to helping re-establish proper gait and weight bearing. Anyhow, my physical therapist had me practice walking properly with the walker, and eventually with only holding on to the right side. When I was able to do this comfortably, he was comfortable with me graduating to the cane. Don't rush the transition so much, as it'll happen when you're ready. You'll notice that you're moving around without anything, and that's when you'll want the cane for the extra stability.
 
Update, 3 wks 2 days. So when I saw my surgeon last week he was very worried about my gait and stiffness in my knee (I guess it is more then what is expected with the swelling we all get). I am at the same degree of flexion as I was in the hospital. My PT can push it to 110 but it really is just 90 if not pushed. Extension- PT said 0, doc said 10. Is it based on what you can do without being pushed or what you do on your own. I have a very tight band of tightness around my knee which prevents me from really walking very well. I can't seem to get any bend at all when I am walking so I can't get my good foot out in front of my TKR foot. It has improved but apparently not enough to make him not be concerned about it. I get through my exercises and of course swells a bit, so I ice and elevate. I will be evaluated in 2 weeks for MUA, doc said about a 50/50 chance I will need this. Can anyone tell me how that went for you?

I think one of the worries is in the 80's I needed to have exploratory surgery because of abdominal pain that they could not figure out the cause. During the surgery they found my ovary all wrapped with adhesions and it was being pulled which was causing the pain. What was weird was you don't usually form adhesions unless you have had prior surgery or a pelvic infection. I had not had either. So I think he is worried that I may be more prone to this.

My pain still is well managed with one Norco every 6 hours and I sleep very well. I take two Norco if I am going to PT. I have followed this site and I continue to elevate and ice pretty much if I am resting which is still the majority of the time. My PT has listened to me and is no longer pushing me more then I can tollerate. No constipation issues as I researched that a lot prior to and made these bran/prune bars. Very effective along with stool softeners. That is one issue I did not need!

So I think I am doing well other then the possibility of the MUA. I worry a little about any set backs that may cause. But then again it may just be what I need and things will progress better in terms of walking and regaining mobility. I am very thankful I no longer have any real pain. Just that dang tightness, lol. Could be so much worse!
 
I had a similar situation due to being on crutches but my therapist worked her magic and gently stretched it through massage.
Click here to read about it.

And the band around the knee many many of us have had. I had it for weeks, eventually it does go away once the internal swelling goes down.
 
:boohoo: I am so depressed. Cried most of last night. At the point of wishing I had not done this! I lost 54 pounds prior to doing this so that I would not have any excess weight to interfere with recovery. I am almost 4 wks. I don't take the exercises to pain, just tightness. I ice and elevate above my head all the time! I just do my exercises twice a day. The rest of the time I am resting. I take my meds around the clock. My doc is already talking about MUA because my walk is so bad and he must not think it is going to get better. Will decide at 6 wks. He is extremely well known and liked by everyone here. He is well known for helping people other doctors have given up on. PT's, nurses, other docs recommend him. The thing is I am not really in any real pain even during PT. It has almost always just been extreme tightness. Just occasionally could I call it really painful. My PT did get aggressive one day and I suffered but we talked about it the next day and he has been really careful since. My doc even says don't take it to pain. Many of you are here from the states and have to do the PT as well but seem to recover ok. My leg really doesn't even look very swollen so it can only be internal and it feels like it is moving up my thigh. My tightness is now around my knee and up my thigh about 8 inches. My walk is getting worse now after starting to show some improvement. I haven't even done any exercise today at all other then a few slides and stretches, nothing seems to make a difference. My situation is weird. No pain, sleep well, so I feel bad for feeling this way. But I am worried I will never be able to move it well. Sorry, this must be the blues you guys talk about. I just pray I turn the corner soon. :boohoo:
 
Elisea, how did you find a PT who stretches it through massage? Sometimes that's what I feel I need. Thanks!
 
Oh 60mom, sweetie -- Here you've done EVERYTHING possible to make your operation a success, even a fabulous pre-op weight loss (which is recommended for many, but achieved by precious few). I understand your frustration and tears that despite all your work, your recovery seems to be following its own timetable. Please hang in there! Bonesmart abounds with threads proving that every recovery's unique, and so many cases that had rough starts suddenly and inexplicably resolve. You're doing an awesome job, and your knee will catch up. We are here for you through this rough patch!

Momba
 
I have been reading your posts because my surgery was the 14th...my flexion high has been 83 and I keeping asking my pt people about that MUA..they keep telling me no and it all takes time. I can extend good. They told me I had to walk with something because I will limp...so I am with a cane and I practice go heel to toe. I do have pain when I try to flex but it always feels like I have this huge rubber band around my knee..they keep telling me to b patient...here is something they told me to do and I feel it is working! Take a Baggie and put it on your foot and rock and just let it slide....I go to doc on Thursday so I will keep u posted...stay positive and be patient...I have cried lots of tears but I finally feel like I am making some progress....I can't even get a bike to go around one rotation yet..can't do it frontwards or backwards...ugh..I just keep icing , elevating, medicating and stretching...not doing anything to a painful level..
 
AnnMo could you explain the baggie thing a bit more. Is your leg straight or down. Are you just rocking the foot or your leg? I just need it a bit more clear as I will do anything that might help. Thanks... I guess I just don't understand the MUA so soon in the game. I wish I could see someone else walk so I could see how different I am walking from most patients. It's like he just knows I need this by the way I'm walking? I haven't read this in any other thread. I thought I was doing ok. I mean I have had a lot of tightness from day one but that has seemed to be a common complaint that I read. Right now I am wondering if I should just not do anything for a couple of days and see if it loosens up. I have actually been using a lot of heat on my thigh and ice on my knee, lol. Doesn't that show how confused I am. Actually the heat is helping my thigh... I wouldn't worry about the bike I just was able to do my first rotation Friday with a lot of help from my PT.
 
For the Baggie thing...u need to have a rocking chair or a glider...put a Baggie on your foot of the bad leg ...just rock and let the bag slide back and forth on the floor...it even feels pretty good! I have noticed today after doing it a few times for about 15 min.i can do it longer but just starting out slow...my knee seemed to loosen up..I could feel a little pulling but nothing that hurt..to me.I do ice afterwards though and elevate.
Another thing they do when I first get to therapy is wrap my leg in warm damp towels...
I just love my therapy and always feel so good when I leave..they have pool so as soon as incision is completely healed..I get to do that..
I am just so surprised by how long this takes but I am understanding it..I have to go back and teach kindergarteners sometime..yikes...I have plenty of sick days so I am taking my time..maybe mid February..keep me posted on what u hear...just keep practicing heel to toe when u walk...
 
Elisea, how did you find a PT who stretches it through massage? Sometimes that's what I feel I need. Thanks!
Call around and ask for a physical therapist to call back and talk with you for a few minutes. Explain to the person at the desk that you need to talk with an advanced PT because of your post healing issues. Tell them that you are in need of more table work, rather than exercise based, at this point in your healing.

Ask about what kind of modalities they use. Mine does PT, lymphatic drainage, cranial scacrum or some such thing. I didn't believe in the lymphatic drainage until I had it; who knew, it worked. And I still think the cranium thing is a bit woo woo, but that's me. :rolleyes: What I mean to say, though, is that you find a PT who works on healing of the whole body and has advanced training in various techniques.

l did not find what I needed at a chain pt place that uses pt assistants or have a set 40-45 minutes to work with you, etc. Mine owns her business, has about 6 colleagues and they have no pt assistants and spend the full hour working with the patient. If I'd had more time, I probably could have found someone at a bigger place, but my time was limited and I knew this PT was the right one for me.
 
Thanks Elisea that is very helpful. I think I am going to look for this as it surely can't do any harm. I am having more pain in my right thigh and maybe this will help and also with the tightness.
 
So I am 4 wks out now. My OS gave me 20 more Vicodin and I think that is all I will get. So I haven't taken any today. I followed the Tylenol and Ibuprofen protocol here and thankfully I am doing ok so I am going to use that and save the pain pills for times I may need them. I haven't even had any withdrawal so I don't know why they worry so much.

I bought an exercise bike on craigslist. I was wondering how much I should ride it at first and how to increase? I am going to quit my PT after Monday because I simply can't afford it. So I need a way to increase my flexion as my OS is going to evaluate me for MUA on next appointment. This has more to do with the way I walk then my flexion so I want to try to impress him on my next visit. I have access to a really great gym where I can use the water so want to add that after my scabs heal which I think I am almost there. I just wish I could go walking but we have too much snow! I can walk at the gym so I think that will be a great option for me. Any suggestions for exercises? I elevate so much that there is no noticeable swelling. But I have a major tightness just above my knee and it causes me not to be able to bend my knee at all when I walk even though I can bend it to about 110 in PT. I think that is why my OS is worried. Is walking a problem for anyone else and is it a band of tightness that is causing it? Thanks. :bicycle1:
 
:dancy:I think I may have turned the corner in my recovery! I started using my exercise bike and doing some squats which for some reason feels really good on my scar. I was able to go up the stairs normally, no crazy limp. Now I am not sure how much flexion that was but I would guess at least 110, anyone know? I can't wait till Monday when I have my last PT session to find out how far I can flex now. I really heat my whole leg up prior to exercising, not just my knee. Seems to help my thigh and one small area on my shin which is where most of my pain is. Then after I also ice my whole leg and this new plan seems to be working better. My husband says I am walking a whole lot better so I am praying I don't need that MUA now.
 
I started the bike today too and I am finally starting to feel human again..I had good gain at pt today..my flex ion is only 91 and extension 5... It is an improvement so they were happy..I go to my doc tomorrow and i am hoping he thinks the same..they told me to concentrate on heel toe when walking and no limp..I asked if I could ditch the cane and they said no not until I can walk without a limp..I am going to pt 3 times a week and starting aqua therapy next week..I have been working my butt off at home..never imagined the work that goes into this..I am doing things slow and I am so happy to feel and see the gains..I will let u know f mine mentions that manipulation thing..my pt people say no way.
 
ok, so this is new and wondering if anyone else has experienced it. I feel as if my knee in front feels like elastic. I actually feel it stretching whenever I bend my knee. My range of motion appears to be increasing. I was wondering if the sutured layers are dissolving so that there is less resistance?

AnnMo, I am anxious to hear how your appointment goes tomorrow. I pray it is great news for you and no mention of manipulation.
 
I asked if I could ditch the cane and they said no not until I can walk without a limp...I will let u know f mine mentions that manipulation thing..my pt people say no way.

If you have a walker, it is easier to practice not limping with it as it evenly distributes your weight.
Good luck on your dr appt!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom