Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.....but I would still give yourself some time to settle. That leg length discrepancy feeling does tend to work itself out for most folks. If you immediately put a lift in your shoe, you will not give your body a chance to adjust in whatever way it needs to. It may be you will not need a lift.
 
John,

I've "analyzed" my pre- and post surgical pelvic x-rays. They came with some very nice computerized tools for getting accurate measurements. It appears that my surgeon added about one centimeter during the surgery (I'm not tall so I could use the heighth) and he also indicated that he had used the shortest neck that "fit". But PT recently measured and found that the leg attached to (and below) my new hip happens to be longer by about 2 centimeters....that part is not new. But it certainly FEELS new. All told, I think that side is now over an inch longer and it initially felt like I was standing on a small mountain.

But here is my point, I am already starting to adjust to it and feel quite comfortable. The more I do, the more I use my legs without "thinking" like I did for the first couple weeks, the more my brain and body have compensated. ANNND...I plan to get leveled out with a new hip on the other side in some years...

But here is why I am going to let this go for awhile....

I won't be wearing an insert in the shower...or when I pour myself a cup of coffee in the morning. I want my body to be as comfortable with this configuration as possible, and then supplement sometimes (maybe) when I need to. I do think it will happen, but I expect to let this play out for a lot more months before I go there.

It gets better every week...

Z
 
Good idea to let it all settle down for some time yet.. I also felt like I had my operated leg significantly longer, but my OS said he only added half a cm.. Don't notice it anymore, like you say Z, I think our bodies adjust..
 
Hi guys,
Just chiming in about LLD, a subject near and dear to my heart...
My unscientific method of "measuring" has been to put different width books underneath the unoperated leg to see what feels right. I am 7 weeks out today and that width has shifted from 20 mm to 8 mm! I'm sure it has been a combo of strengthening and swelling going down.

My pelvis was also not tilted before surgery. When I had my X-ray last week, we saw that now my pelvis on the operated side is still being pulled down somewhat by the musculature which contributes to the LLD. I was told to wait another 6 weeks and reassess for a lift then. I am also finding that I readjust a little every few days. A physiatrist I know said that once the 3-4 month period is over, she would advise getting a standing X-ray. If the sacrum looks tilted at that point, a lift would be indicated...just another bit of info to add to the mix for what it's worth.
 
Hi John,

Well, you've gotten a lot of good advice from many others and all I can do is chime in in agreement on the idea to wait a bit longer... you'll be amazed at how your body will be changing in the next 2-3 months. There is plenty of time to have your PT do some leg measurements and give you some inserts to try. For now, try to let your body adjust to the changes that have been made structurally with the new hip.

Love those bikes you and your wife have -- nice to hear about the trikes, my husband threatened to purchase one for me a few years back and I was so offended (won't mention what I threatened him with...:th_heehee:).

Take care & have a good weekend,
Cardie
 
I will definitely wait then, I do notice that things are adjusting.
the main thing I am not "Yet" seeing change is the up and down motion as I am walking, I go up a half inch ( 1 CM ) every other step and come back down.
Waiting for fullness.
 
John, what your doctor tells you about your leg length differences? Did you ask him? What is HIS recommendations? He should tell if he added some length and why, or it is just your pelvis response to new joint
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
 
He was on vacation when I got my staples out, just saw his assistant.
I will see him on the 17th and will ask then for sure.
 
Thanks for the support and information, the last two days have been wonderful, I have been able to stand for several hours each day with no soreness or problems.

Haven't taken any meds at all for a couple of days..

I almost was able to get up off the floor without using my hands this morning, another day or two and I will be there.

Obviously I still need to be super careful and not overdo it but I am actually feeling normal now. :yes 4::yes 4::yes 4:

Here are some more kitties for those who like 'em.

Why sleep in the cat tree when you can sleep on it.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.

Full up, but there's room on the roof.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.

A little help eating my pizza.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.

Can't even wait for the sink to be installed before sleeping in it.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.

That's much better.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
 
Oh my goodness what adorable photos. I love the first one with the cat sleeping across the tree house, they are all very cute!

John congratulations on your recovery going well!
 
John,

What exactly do you put in their catnip to get them to sleep in such...uhhhhh...BIZARRE positions!?!??

Glad the days are improving!

Nice photos....the pizza helper is a cutie.

Z
 
Sounds like you have turned the recovery corner John. Well done!

You are right - easy does is still required. Your body will quickly tell you when you have gone past the limit.

Thanks for sharing your kittie pictures. Being a cat lover I am delighted!
 
But my pelvis wasn't tilted before the surgery
How can you be sure? This kind of adjustment can start creeping in ages before your 'painful' hip starts to be an issue. It's the body's way of compensating so you wouldn't experience any pain until it got a lot worse.
 
Glad your doing so well!

Thanks for sharing the kittah pics, adorable. I wanna squeeze every one of them!!!
 
I have to weigh in on the LLD. My op leg ended up 2" longer and I was very concerned. I wasn't cleared to start pt until almost 5 months post-op. Three visits with the PT and i was down to between 3/8" and 1/2" difference. Turns out that is the "real" difference and the rest was pelvic tilt and rotation. Good thing I didn't just put a 2" lift or shoe build up on my non-op side :DOH:
 
I will definitely wait then, I do notice that things are adjusting.
the main thing I am not "Yet" seeing change is the up and down motion as I am walking, I go up a half inch ( 1 CM ) every other step and come back down.
Waiting for fullness.

Hi John,

You are still pretty new out from surgery so that up and down motion you mention seems normal to my recollection. It takes a little while for everything to settle, loosen up, tighten up and get a more normal gait going again -- even if you didn't have the pelvic tilt or LLD...

Maybe your OS will x-ray your pelvis at your visit on Friday and then you can see if you have the tilt & good luck at that visit, I hope it's all good news!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Everyone is mentioning pelvic tilt.
It dawns on me I am not sure if you are talking about a tilt that is causing the leg length problem or is caused by it.

In my Xray on the 10 day checkup my pelvis was very tilted when I stood with my feet together, it was high on the new/long leg side and low on the old/short leg side.

I looked at my preop Xray and my pelvis was not tilted at all.

Is that what you were expecting? or were you thinking that my pelvis was tilted the other way, causing my leg to be longer?
 
John,

In my case, my bad hip was tipped DOWN to meet the shorter leg...shorter primarily due to loss of cartilage and bone.

that leg got lengthened ...for most folks to be back to the length it should be

so for me, I need my pelvis to tilt away from my longer leg (the new one) and have that side of my pelvis to go up.

Sounds like your pelvis is already doing that in the x-ray...

My hip is sore today...seemingly from taking a bit of pounding over the weekend dut to being TOO LONG so you should not discuss this with me right now!!! :hissyfit:

I'm kidding...my plan is to take a couple days a little more slowly. It just feels beat up at the moment.

Z
 
Yes, unlike most people I got the hip done very early, I hadn't lost any length yet and hadn't tipped my pelvis.
So the doc added the normal 1/2 inch ( 1 CM) and now I am tipped the other way. I am taller than I have ever been in my life when I stand on that leg.
 
John I don't recall if you have ever mentioned this but do you think your right hip will eventually need replacing or were your issues strictly in your left hip? Is it possible that your surgeon lengthened your left leg with the thinking being that when/ if your right hip was done in the future then the lengths would be evened out? I hope that makes sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom