THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Josephine Which exercises are associated with trochanteric bursitis, IT Band and psoas syndromes and back problems ?
 
You misunderstand. I said it was the "over-enthusiastic use of some exercises" that can cause it. Not specific ones.
 
Fantastic Maeve, I am so pleased for you :) and thanks for the encouragement helping me towards retirement. Mine in a very stressful executive and technical profession (apart from my Natural Medicine Practice), so I am busy counting down the actual work days and the number of pay days to our new phase of life together. I find I spend moments in meetings 'day dreaming' ... Then someone asks me a question and Ooops! what were we talking about?

This year is going fast, just want to get through the winter without the flu, so kicked in with my natural medicine preventative precautions. Soon it will be Spring and the spring bulbs will pop their heads up and that will be just 10 months to our deadline :)
 
Now for yetbsome more advice! Dont know what I would do without this forum!!
I am using onebcrutch quite easily and efficiently managing to keep my pelvis straight...new experience since the surgery lengthened my leg by 3cms. Both legas are now the same length so I have been told but the operated leg feels longer as it had been shorter all my life!
So I am nervous that using a cane, which provides less stability than a crutch, in case I revert to my old gait. I feel however it is time to try it.
Any clues? :scratch:
 
Once again the typo gremlin has struck but I think the question is clear enough!
 
I'd suggest that next time you are in for your PT sessions that you ask for some help with transitioning on to the cane and practice with it there so you have eyes to evaluate how you are walking from your therapist. My in-home PT person helped me transition through the assistive devices.

It takes a while to adjust to the sensations of the leg lengths.
Take care,
Cardie
 
I learn so much from reading here on BS! I am going to try the tip from Poppet about tagging. Maeve, the mantra at my hospital was exactly the same about taking meds prior to PT. I never could tell whether it made much difference, to be honest.
And, having written in my own post about taking regular walks outdoors, I admit I pushed myself to go a bit farther last evening and I was wondering why I have a lower back ache this morning! Josephine, you gave me an answer before I really knew I had a question! (What an impressive ability!:) ) I will attempt to not push myself!
Maeve, I find that is often difficult to tell where we cross that line into doing "too much." And, as recovery continues, that line keeps moving!
 
So over it all tonight. It's like Ground Hog Day on a treadmill. Sorry fellow hippies, just can't seem to muster any cheer tonight!
In bed, not very comfortable, know I will only sleep in hourly bursts, frustrated at the speed of recovery.
All in all not one of my better days.
Will have a good search for my mojo tomorrow! :boohoo:
 
Maeve, I hope this is just a minor blip and you feel more positive soon. Reading back on your thread you have come a long way. I don't know about calling it the blues cos blue is such a pretty colour and quite positive. More aptly should be called the greys I think.
Sending Big Hugs good luck in search of your mojo.
Barbara
 
Hi Fran,

Ah, yes, you have hit one of those low spots in what my first PT guy referred to as the yo-yoing cycle of recovery. The mojo will return, but honor the low point by resting, napping, snacking, chatting on the phone, playing on the computer and staying in your comfy clothes for a bit.

Remember, you have the new hip now and you have all the time in the world to use it and to put it through its paces. First, you have to let your body heal (The Year of Healing) so that you can get to all that use-related activity.

Take care and take it easy -- even athletes take a break in their training schedules... :thumb:
Cardie
 
Sound advice from Cardie there Fran. Hubby is doing his first ever 'proper' run...a 10k and he downloaded the training schedule from the website. He was amazed that practically every other day was a rest day but it stands to reason really, we need to give our bodies time to adjust to the effects of the exercising, to heal and be ready to start again.

You are doing really great you know, I know it can feel like we are not progressing as much as we think we should but we do all get there in the end...it's that patience thing again :)

Your body and mind have been through a lot, you are entitled to feel fed up sometimes but I promise you your mojo will return and you will get back on track and feeling all positive again

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Regarding the cane...I had one later on...a folding one to carry in my bag when I felt I needed it but I much preferred the crutch so used that pretty much until I didn't need support anymore. Just go with whatever you feel most comfortable with, it doesn't really matter either way I think.
 
Hi Maeve,
As the rest have said, keep the pain meds coming on time, Patience, rest and ice!
 
Maeve, I wish I'd seen this sooner. I'm so sorry you've been blue, and I hope things looked a little better today. I too join the others who are voicing how amazing your recovery has been, all that you'e done and all that you are grappling with. You've been an inspiration to me. Please hang in there.
 
Thank you all Anniepops,C Mac,Elosarabrab and nessiepie!
Your support and positive confirmations that I'm doing OK are much appreciated.
A better night last night. Took a 5mg Oxycontin and didn't wake with the gnawing ache of the previous night that just wouldn't settle!
I am going to use the crutch when I feel I need it until I feel the cane is enough.
Did lots of good exercises and stretches in the gym and pool so felt I have made quite a bit of progress.
I think that mojo might reappear very soon! :)
 
Just got your message Peaches.
A big thanks to you ....inspiration? I'm most gratified.
With such positive affirmations from fellow hippies I have no right to lose that mojo for longer than a very brief while! :spin:
 
Maeve, Good on you. This sound more like the person we've come to know so well. And yes, you are an inspiration so you better keep that mojo close to you. :dancy:
 
Fran, great to hear your mojo will be making an appearance some time very soon, we all lose it at some point but it does return pretty quickly. :)

Take care

Ann
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom