THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maeve, I was happily going along thinking it is now downhill all the way- walking around (using the cane only once in a while), going out and doing all the things I've been looking forward to for so long. Then yesterday I too found myself at the bottom of the roller coaster - tired, with aching muscles and a desire to just do nothing all day. My wife got worried can called the doc who told her that this is normal and that while I am making great progress, recovery is not a linear progression - there will be bad days and if there are not, then something is not normal. All that's happening is that the body is pushing itslef to see how far it has recovered and when it reaches the limit it says stop and rest. I spent yesterday taking it easy and today and I am feling fine again. I plan to push the boundaries a bit more over the next few days, but I won't be upset if my body tells me to stop again. As Bottomshollo said - Patience is your most powerful recovery tool.
 
Thanks bottomshollow and@mondo_caine!
I know on an intellectual level that recovery will be a process and there will be better days and not so good ones but it's really hard to accept the not so good days sometimes . I love your explanation that " recovery is not a linear progression". I mustbmakebthat my daily mantra!
My Physio gym session yesterday was taken by the head Physio Caleb and I was able to talk to him about my progress. I was feeling frustrated that I have very tight muscles still meaning I limp and they grab and it's painful to walk.
Researched it on Dr Google and, as I thought it's due to the lengthening and quite a challenge to improve.
So today he assessed my range of movement and agreed the adductor, ilioapsos and another are as tight as a guitar string and gave me some specific stretches .. He did say it will be a slow process and that Professor Bruce won't even consider a shoe lift for the other side until the 3 month point! He has however referred me to a Physio who specialises in tight muscles caused by leg length difference. Rang and talked to him and made an appointment for next Wednesday. He is confident that e will be able to get me 90% right by the 3 month mark. So will start there next week. It's a long haul but I'm sure I'll get there. Caleb will write a report on Friday which is my last day. I can tell the difference after I have done the specific stretches and walk much better immediately after and he could see that too so at least I'm in with a plan. Unfortunately the stretch isn't a miracle cure, just loosens the muscle for a short while. I have a couple more specific exercises too. I know the general Physio I have been doing has been beneficial but it's reassuring to focus now on my specific challenge.
So fingers crossed. The Physio who did the hydro session was briefed by Caleb and again I got some personalised advice and she does home massage so think I will call on her too.
Hoping the new Physio can give me a program for the hydro pool at the gym and also an exercise program recommendation I can take to The Exercise physiologist as I have five sessions funded by Medicare which means I don't need to use up my extras cover in my private
Health cover and can save this for Physio.
So I think I now have a plan!
Today I have done the specific stretches and they have made the world of difference. Also regular practice of standing on my operated leg.
Thanks for your support ....sounds like you have the same A type personality as me mondo- caine! The fatigue after doing ordinary things is very frustrating!
Oh No! Just as I was writing this my mobile rang. I was due for my 6 week appointment tomorrow with my OS BUT his office rang to say he has just been admitted to hospital with a suspected heart attack. He was on his way to operate. He is only a young man! Very worrying.
Of course when I am so self focussed on me and my hip I feel very guilty about being upset for me as I was so hoping to get an all clear and have my restrictions lifted!! Apparently the Practice Manager will ring tomorrow to let me know what is going on!
 
Maeve, your new hip is just 6 weeks old. Picture a new baby. Would you expect a 6 week old baby to walk? Talk? Do arithmetic? That baby would just eat, sleep, and poop. Recovering from a THR is pretty much the same.

If you're having pain, are you medicating adequately? This is probably the number one reason so many hippies complain about pain. It's quite normal to still have post-op pain at 6 weeks, so it's quite normal to still need consistent and adequate dosage of pain meds.

Really...you are doing quite well. That fatigue after doing ordinary things just means you have earned a good rest. Pamper pamper pamper....that should be your mantra too. :)

Sharon
 
Hi Maeve, You are doing really well for 6 weeks but has Sharon says you still need to medicate, rest and pamper yourself. Don't do what I did go mad and end up with Tendonitis which is going to cost me another 6 weeks. Do you know for definite that you have LLD has oneofthe physios measured your legs with a tape measure. I was convinced that I had one leg longer than the other but actually they are actually equal. May I ask which stretches you are doing for the tight muscles as they are obviously helping you.
 
Hi Kim22,
I know! Patience is a virtue that I dont seem to have and I need to feel I am being proactive in working towards recovery. Put it down to my A type personality I guess!
Re the LLD. The OS lengthened the operated leg by 3cms which brought it to the correct length so I guess it's the REVERSE of a LLD! But as I had had the 3cms shorter for all my life and compensated by pelvis tilt, incorrect gait, my muscles are adjusting to being lengthened to what they should have been. However there is the proviso that my left leg is now marginally shorter because that knee now has osteo and has contracted. The theory is the legs will be equal once the knee has been done.
HOWEVER! That little operation is certainly not on the radar unless I absolutely have to have it done....it isn't giving me any pain!
The main stretch is to lie flat on the bed or bench. Keep the good leg straight. Bend the bad leg as far as possible, and push the bent leg out as far as possible while keeping the left side of the pelvis flat. Hold 30 secs. Rpt 10 times.
This really stretches the groin and you can feel the adductor.
Hope this explains it?!
 
Maeve Thank you for explaining the groin stretch so well I will give them a go .
 
I'm sorry to hear about your OS and his health crisis, I hope that he is ok!! Certainly, there must be someone else that can order your 6 week follow-up x-ray and interpret whether your appliance is settled and release you from your restrictions!

Glad you are finding ways to help your adductors adjust to that added length. Treat them kindly and they will adapt in time. Remember, first year is The Year of Healing and there is a lot of adaptation that happens during that time for those of us with the long standing LLD.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Back to the saga of my six week check up
The phone rang at 8.45 on Friday.
Could I make my 10.30 appt as the Professor was coming in for a while.i eagerly agreed. Apparently Thursday's 'turn' was irregular heart beat.... Tachycardia I believe they call it in medical Lingo! The receptionist told me....
So a warning I would say!
I did advise him he should take it easier..... after he had given me my report if course. His answer was 'Perhaps I'll become a Buddhist'
in summary the checkup results:
Very successful op, very long shaft inserted in femur as they found that due to my hip dysplasia , not only were the ball and socket deformed but the femur was twisted and so had to be rotated and anchored in the new position by an extra long piece of hardware. Another reason why the muscles are screaming! The big muscle down the outside of the thigh also had to be lengthened.
The Prof said I was doing much better than expected at this stage. Good balance and strength in the operated leg. Agreed the Physio re muscle stretching will give me great improvement. The legs are the same length. But My pelvis is tilted. This will even up as the muscles strengthen and relax.
So a bit of hard work ahead.
All restrictions bar the 90 degree rule and the leg crossing are lifted. I actually slept las night only waking twice. On side.... Either one with pillow between legs! Can drive, sit on normal seats and loos so now I only need to learn to walk properly. Cane is essential.
Actually have put the elevated seat back on the loo. Bit hard to get up and don't want to strain anything at this point.
I do have to say I still have very sore groin muscles and walking hurts but I know the approach needs to be patience, patience, patience!
Think I might have been overdoing the stretches.....will I ever learn!
So yet another shuffle along the recovery path reaching the six week point with a positive report from the OS.
 
I may not be ready for this yet as I have the 90degree rule and no crossing the operated keg across the mid line....plus my other knee is arthritic...BUT. how could I get up and down off the floor? Won't be able to do Pilates till the..or at least not the class I do.
Just asking for reference when I am OK to do it. :)
 
I haven't had the need to get down on the floor, so I am not sure Maeve, I am sure someone will come along who has :)

I am pleased your OS is fine, if not a bit shaken :)

You will get there, just time and I know the horrible word we all hate to hear.. Patience :)
 
Thanks@Poppet,
You are just terrific at responding to peoples' threads and easing their concerns! A special person I think!
 
My pleasure Maeve :) ... Goodnight honey, hope you have a good nights sleep.

Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box below and to the left of the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear. Also, just make sure there is a space before the @sign otherwise the tag doesn't work :)
it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this

Poppet
 
Yep! Poppet,
I'm always getting that bit wrong! Must learn better proof-reading skills. I blame the ipad keyboard! :happydance:
 
irregular heart beat.... Tachycardia I believe they call it in medical Lingo
Tachycardia is a rapid heartbeat/pulse. an irregular heart beat is an arrhythmia.
I may not be ready for this yet as I have the 90degree rule and no crossing the operated keg across the mid line....plus my other knee is arthritic...BUT. how could I get up and down off the floor? Won't be able to do Pilates till then ..or at least not the class I do.
As a general rule, the 90 degree restrictions are only imposed for a short period of time, 6 or 12 weeks perhaps. Or has your surgeon told you differently? Even if he has, my feeling is that there are literally thousands of hippied 'out there' who are doing exactly what they want to do regardless, and thousands of them who were never given any restriction at all at any time. Think on that!
 
Congratulations to you, Maeve, on a stellar report from your surgeon! (And speaking of typing skills, mine are horrible. I am blaming it lately on using the laptop's keyboard instead of a separate one; I am very old school and actually mourn the death of typewriters.) Sounds like all of your hard PT work has really paid off, especially in the strength area. I don't know how on earth I could get down or get up if I were on the floor, either.
Keep us posted!
 
Hi there Maeve Just popping over to read all about your progress. Congratulations on your recovery so far and your good report! :) Glad your OS survived his bout of irregular heartbeat. Poor guy, you do want him to stay well to continue giving such good care to his patients, among other things.
Just try not to overdo the exercises and the stretches. I thought the more I did, the quicker I'd get better - not so! I've gotten a nasty case of groin pain that's been lingering for awhile, which may be a tendonitis, but it is definately an inflammation of some sort. Too much, too soon - I had to have multiple MD appts at week 4-5 and ended up with this. Patience is the key I've learned.
You've had some challenges with the LLD and your muslces lengthening. But having a plan is a great idea, and comforting to you, too!
 
Maeve, Congrats on the fantastic progress, but please have some consideration of poor folks like me (at 5 weeks I'm 1 week behind you) who have to struggle to keep up with the standards you are setting. :egypdance:
 
Well, all lined up for Physio. Twice weekly program with the recommended physio. Looks like a plan!
Glutes need the most work plus adductors and abductors, he has given me three specific exercises with theraband and good hints on ensuring I am doing them properly. Plus groin stretches...with heat pack. That's achievable! Some of the earlier exercises are ditched as too basic but he has stopped spme of the"advanced" ( his expression) as they force use of the wrong muscles to compensate.
He did a massage and I nearly levitated off the table with the pain as he used pressure! OMG.
next visit he is doing dry needling. He's a very big guy....footballer 2x knee reconstructions with brains too as he has a Doctorate in Sports Science and a Masters in Physiotherapy.
He also advised keeping the cane until I am not listing in any way!
So off to do the homework. Wish I had a massage bed as the bed is not firm enough and I cant get onto the floor yet!!
 
Good for you Maeve. This physio sounds like a dream come true, as far as his credentials. Tell him you're a tender little bug and he sound treat you more gently. :) Can you please tell me the exercises for the adductors and abductors? I'm very curious just what those are. Thank you, dear. Good luck with the new fellow.
 
Maeve
Hi Kim22,
The main stretch is to lie flat on the bed or bench. Keep the good leg straight. Bend the bad leg as far as possible, and push the bent leg out as far as possible while keeping the left side of the pelvis flat. Hold 30 secs. Rpt 10 times.
This really stretches the groin and you can feel the adductor.
Hope this explains it?!
Could you clear a few of these movements for me? Do you lay on your bed, keep one leg flat and bring the other leg to your chest? What to you mean by push the bent leg out? Do you create resistance by holding the bent leg? I'm just wondering if this is the same exercises my PT gave me do because they do work really well to get the hip joint loosen up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom