Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

You’re doing really great! I’m glad you’re back home and finding ways to cope with recovery on your own. You’ll continue to feel better with some time. Probably the most important thing right now is to just pay close attention to your body’s signals. It will let you know when it’s time to rest a bit or when you can do a little more that day.
 
The coming days are all about rest, ice, elevate, move, eat, sleep, medicate repeat, repeat, repeat. The distance walked gradually increases as does the time between meds until they hopefully cease altogether. For me, doing this solo is where I keep my eyes on the prize of getting my life back. This is vital. Some days are more challenging than others like when you fancy eating something you don’t have, and can’t yet get, or the absolute monotony of it all kicks in despite lots of available hobbies, pastimes and box sets, or the post op blues creep in uninvited and unwarranted. All normal I know; the slog back to normality is underway.
I checked back on my thread last year and it’s similar; too much thinking time allows old griefs and memories to surface, not enough company to distract, and the loss of joy through spontaneity.
This will all come, and it’s back on the patience pills for me.
 
not enough company to distract,
You know you're welcome here anytime / in anyway / every day.
The ups, downs and in-betweens...we're here for all of it. :friends:
 
Those little 'catch naps' are so beneficial. Let your body take as many as it wants!
 
So as we wade through another heatwave I’ve discovered my short pyjamas are the best day wear and my regular walks are in the garden instead of the street :rofsign:

Tomorrow I’m wanting to switch the Celecoxib for Naproxen plus a PPI. I’m going to have to check how long I need to wait from the last dose of Celecoxib to starting the Naproxen and vice versa. The nagging bone shouts are just a bit too much, and not lessening so I’ll see how it goes. Hopefully a course of naproxen will help it settle and then I can return the Celecoxib which is gentler on the tum. I have a lot of meds in the house following all three knees and the back, however I’m incredibly careful and write everything down. Still on acetaminophen 4 x day.
All good, and all will be fine.
 
I’m incredibly careful and write everything down.
This is soooooo smart! It's easy to get confused about what we've taken when when there are multiple meds involved. I finally resorted to using one of those pill dispensers with multiple compartments for each day. Only way I could keep track of whether or not I'd actually taken the dosage. Not sure if it's age or surgery brain -- or a little bit of both. :wink:
 
It sounds like you have it all under control, LE and you're clear headed enough to keep your pajama walks in the privacy of your garden rather than parading down the street. That would give your neighbors something to talk about. :wink:
I hope you find the perfect combo of meds soon so the pain is less bothersome.
@Legseleven
 
The phone call to the Pharmacist confirmed I can start the Naproxen 250mg this morning. I’m confident this’ll push me on another stage.
Another scorcher….
 
Well that didn’t go quite to plan, just taken 1 Nefopam after lunch to get some additional relief from that deep gnawing pain. It’s getting boring now.
This too will pass.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side - AGAIN!
 
Sorry you are having a spike in pain. I hope you find some relief soon.
 
I remember that boring stage. I still had brain fog, so reading was difficult. Watching TV would put me to sleep, which was a good thing! I eventually starting putting puzzles together while I iced and elevated at the dinner table. Those really helped to fill in those bored times!
 
I meant the pain is boring, and it hampers everything, back to hour by hour and tomorrow will be better, and the extreme heat is not helping.
 
@Legseleven . This heat is not helping with anything. I hope your recovery is on track and you can see light at the end of the tunnel. Take care jcx.
 
Thanks @Jcx, not quite yet, but I will. I know it’ll be ok, just need the pain to lessen. Doesn’t help that I can’t take any strong stuff. Little cooler today too.
 
Day 26
Rejigged the pain meds again.
Paracetamol still 1g 4 x day
Naproxen 500mg 2 x day with a PPI - not sure any better than the Celebrex but will try for a week.
Plus back on Nefopam 30g as top up taken morning and evening.
Purposely missing out the garden walks today as already lots of ADL’s. Trying to gauge what makes the pain worse, however it feels like it’s the long bones and the implants adapting. Lots of ice and elevation too, however this time around the ice helps less; probably as it’s deep bone pain.
Will talk to GP next week if no change.
It will all be ok.
 
Its very wise to skip out on the garden walks if your contending with lots of ADL's. Keeping that in balance is such a good thing. (Something I've never seemed to be able to manage!)

Have you tried icing the sides or back of the knee? It's difficult to describe, but putting ice down and a towel then your leg so the weight of you leg rests on the ice. Its just a more direct way to ice the back of the knee. Sometimes just changing up how your icing can help somewhat. Of course your a pro, so you probably know that little trick.

Do an ADL or two then ice and rest. Just don't over do it.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom