Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

I will be going home on Saturday, and today to push myself on I managed a solo shower. I also went down the stairs, and came up in the lift. Tomorrow I’ll do the reverse, and the day after and Friday I’ll do both ways. I still need the leg lifter to get on the bed, but can use my hands to lift the leg off. It’s taking longer this time to un-inhibit but this is a bigger op. The NSAID has helped with the swelling overnight, and I know this will become cumulative as the days go on.
Happily I’ve got 2 visits lined up from friends this week, and it’s important to ensure I see enough people once I’m home. Going up and down the lane on my crutches is a good way for this to happen too. Thanks for all the support.
Onwards…..
 
Don't those words - going home - sound so nice? Good for you. It seems as though you really are ready to be home. Having friends pop by is always a good thing.

Your doing great.
 
Sounds like you are progressing well, @Legseleven! And I'm sure you will be happy to be home.

Be sure to put those friend visits to good use! Helping hands are so welcome in the early weeks of recovery.
:flwrysmile:
 
Things are looking up! Less swelling, a shower all on your own, navigating stairs. Sound like you're going to do well at home. I'll bet you're a little excited to be in your own space with no interruptions. I think you'll do well. :thumb:
Hope you're able to get a good nights sleep. :sleep:
@Legseleven
 
Thanks everyone. I slightly moved my med timings yesterday so I can go to sleep earlier. Last dose 6.15 pm, next dose after midnight, then 6.15 am. The pills are a mix of 12, 8 & 6 hourly.
This helped to fractionally increase last night’s sleep, still fractured by that deeply gnawing bone pain, and although still bad it is less than last week. Next week will be even better. It’s all slowly going the right way on the recovery squiggle. I truly hope I’m done with operations for a very long time as the last 16 months will take some getting over, in truth it may be more than 12 m, but that’s ok, I’ll take it steady with SMART goals and chunking.
Being home will be good, and even better when the bones settle as the middle of the night pain, especially, can be a soul searching experience which challenges my legendary resilience and can make me question all sorts of things in the wee small hours, or sometimes re-visit the past, and that’s never helpful.
Staying here has been good, I would not have been safe on discharge and it’s helping my body get over the initial shock and unexpected side effects. Knowing there’s been someone to call if need be was what I needed, even if I didn’t use it much.
It’s done now, the only way is up. So with my yarn to create with, and good yarns to read, summer stretches ahead with a second heatwave predicted for next week.
Onwards, I can do this and all your support helps so much. Thank you.
 
Happily I’ve got 2 visits lined up from friends this week, and it’s important to ensure I see enough people once I’m home.
Aren't friends a blessing! Knowing someone will be there to help you when needed has to be a load off of you mind.
still fractured by that deeply gnawing bone pain, and although still bad it is less than last week. Next week will be even better
I love your attitude! You are doing so well for so soon out from your revision. You go, girl!
 
Staying here has been good, I would not have been safe on discharge and it’s helping my body get over the initial shock and unexpected side effects. Knowing there’s been someone to call if need be was what I needed, even if I didn’t use it much.
I agree, it's comforting to know you'll quickly receive help if needed as you move through the first few weeks after surgery adjusting and establishing a routine.

Hopefully you have a fan or two at home to keep your space as cool as possible and the heat wave is a short one.
 
In the wide awake club again so here’s an update:

My contrasting experiences at 19 Days between the bilateral patella femoral partial replacements (PKR) and the left revision to full total knee replacement. (TKR)

Icing
.
The PKR’s responded far better to constant icing.
The TKR less so, however it’s still useful, and applied frequently. It sometimes makes the bones ache more, but this eases and helps with the swelling.

Pain.
The acute bone pain has been far worse on the TKR than the two PKR’s however the sit to stand transfers were much more painful on the PKRs.
The TKR is understandably a much deeper pain, over a wider area.
I also had pain at the back of the knee, this time for two weeks, it’s easing a bit now and ice helped.

Pain Meds
After the first op the pain meds dose began to reduce at Day 16, and this time I’m still on round the clock full doses, but hoping to begin to gradually reduce the doses soon. Very challenging with no opioids at all.

Quad inhibition.
Both operations led to left quad inhibition, the right leg was never affected even after PKR. After the first time the left log leg became more active at 15 days.
This time it’s still a partial log leg from the internal swelling although the quads are just beginning to wake up.

Side sleeping (with pillow)
5 weeks after the bilateral I could manage on my right side for short sleeps.
8 days after the revision I managed to start side sleeping. A huge relief, although expectedly sleep remains elusive.

The Lounge Doctor (LD)
The first OS wanted straight legs anyway and the left leg would not tolerate that position at all. Eventually after about six weeks I started using the Bonesmarties 3 pillow stack quite successfully.
This time occasional use of the LD is very helpful as part of pain control, however 15 -20 mins at a time tops.

Getting Around
It’s definitely easier to have one better leg, than the bilateral, plus after so long on crutches, or on one crutch I’m very able with them. I can even take a few steps without any support, however I find this increases the night pain and wakefulness, so I’m monitoring this.

Sleep
Disturbed, elusive, absent - much the same - and I know this gets better.

Post Op
My body reacts strongly to major operations and the meds. Light headedness and dizziness lessen and clear afterwards and can take up to ten days. Knew I couldn’t have morphine, last year found fierce intolerance to codeine, and this year we added Tramadol to this list.
The left knee already looks far more normal after this TKR than after the PKR (plus smoothing, plus arthroscopy) last year. The left knee never recovered, the lateral compartment broke down completely, hence this second op.

More as and when, onwards. Aiming for another sleep before more meds at early doors.
 
Wow, what a concisive post on the differences you are finding between the two surgeries! All in all, you are doing quite well. Are you still going home tomorrow?

How is the weather there? For the next 4 days, at least, we are 100+ degrees. Yesterday was 103. Yuck, way too hot for me!
 
Your comparison is very informative. Thanks for taking time to do that. Although every surgery and every person can be different, it does help to see how many different ways a body can react to the trauma of surgery. And, it clearly shows that some assistance right after surgery can really help.

My personal feeling is, just because doctors and hospitals eagerly want to send people home directly after this major surgery, sometimes allowing a little time either in a hospital or rehab setting can give a patient a strong start and confidence with their new joint. I’m glad you had this option.
 
Light headedness and dizziness lessen and clear afterwards and can take up to ten days.
This alone was reason enough to begin recovery where you were monitored, and had the ability to call for help when in need.

Safe travels home if you're still on schedule to be discharged today!
Let us know how the trek went once you're comfortably settled into your recovery nest.
 
Thanks @Layla and @Jamie and @sistersinhim
I would never consider doing major surgery any other way. After my husband’s long Stage 4 cancer journey I realised I’d looked after everyone else and never thought about myself and knew as a youngish widow (I was 59) that this had to change. Going for convalescence after my knee ops is me doing just this. It’s a financial stretch, but with careful budgeting, I’ve learnt it’s actually worth it, especially now realising how unwell I am post op. As you say it’s the knowing I can call for help, the meals, the ice, plus the companionship too, and I guess a break from regular responsibilities too. All I had to do is rest, elevate, ice, eat, try to sleep and grade my recovery. All of which I have done.
Last night I slept six hours, woohooo, best sleep in 3 weeks. I think the knee could be at a turning point, however I will have to be very careful to begin with at home to stay out of the ODIT.
Already I have a much better feeling about this knee, so onwards again.

Happy 4th July, it’s a big one for you all.
 
I hope your first day at home is a good one. Your pain and swelling will probably increase since you'll be taking care of you and using your new knee much more. You know what to do...ice, ice, ice; elevate, elevate, elevate, and rest!
 
I am sorry for your loss, LE. :console2:
That had to be an extremely difficult and sad journey for both you and your husband.

Thankfully you could afford the early care you received after this revision and feel confident in continuing your journey at home. I hope you build on the the improved sleep and progress remains steady. Happy Saturday!
@Legseleven
 
Day 20 Good to be home.
Slept 9 hours in my own bed. Woke once for meds. Amazing.
The famous metaphor by Christine Miserandino called ‘the spoon theory’ is so apt. I don’t have many spoons yet, so am pacing myself.
A lovely friend came and helped me unpack everything and put it all away, it was expensive in spoons, but valuable. I was sweating when we finished - from the effort, not pain. She says I look so much better this time.
I measured the porridge last night and cooked it today, ate half, more for tomorrow. Lunch is a bought ready meal, tea is soup from the freezer and a roll. Plain yogurt and fruit.
I make sure to ice, elevate and rest between each task, and that’s what the downstairs bed is for. I have a bag I can hook on my crutch for taking small things: water, book etc up and downstairs. I use one crutch in the house, in the right hand, and will use two when I venture outside, but not yet. The ADL’s are enough for now. Managed to wash and will probably shower tomorrow as may be out of spoons.
My patience pills are beside me, another friend is popping in later, and it’s best foot forward. I put washing on, and hopefully they’ll help hang it up.
Onwards…..

IMG_4819.webp

Photo from Pixabay by Kathas_Fotos

Thank you @Layla and @sistersinhim
 
I hope the 9 hrs of sleep, which is AWESOME by the way, allows you to hold onto more spoons throughout this day. Sounds like you have some thoughtful loving friends, LE. Always a blessing.
Enjoy your visit with the one stopping by today. It's good to read that you are back home and seem to have everything under control.
Happy Sunday! :friends:
@Legseleven
 
Day 22
Back in the wide awake club, woke in pain for paracetamol. I still take 2 x 4 x day but no longer on the alarm clock, so sometimes I go longer than 6 hours between doses. This is the same as last time. I'm relaxed about it all. It will get better. This is now the long haul to normality.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side - AGAIN!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom