Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR On the other side - AGAIN!

Thanks @eaglemom I do ice in 3 stages - the distal end of femur, the proximal end of tib/fib and the posterior of the knee underneath. This pain is deep in the bones. I do a mix of elevate, ice, sit, lie, extend legs, stairs as part of my ADL’s. You name it I’ve tried it and I’m constantly on and off the bed, trying another way. I guess it’s like severe toothache, just in the legs, always there and zaps my concentration too so all my activities and distractions are only for minutes at a time. I know it’ll pass, it’s certainly a test of resilience, far more so than the bilateral, as by this stage last year I was on a lot less meds.
:elevate:

PS discovered the LD cushion works on my recliner, it helps, Yay! It’s the little things…
 
My hope is that you'll begin to sleep better overnight because fatigue does seem to make pain feel more intense.
I'm sorry this is such a challenge for you, LE. I hope you find a balance with the meds and activity and begin feeling better soon. :console2:
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla I actually sleep reasonably well in total, just moving around every 90 m to ease niggles and stiffness.
Today is different altogether. Equilibrium is restored and I feel human. I’ll stick at this regime for a few days then gradually knock off the Nefopam, and then when that’s ok reduce the naproxen dose in the hope that when it’s settled I can go back to Celebrex.
 
Yay, a good sleep and walking in the lane! You are doing so well.

Since taken on more of the responsibility, how is your right knee doing? I found my old knee acted up until my new knee to take back more of my weight.
 
The right has its moments. I’m hoping it’ll all settle as originally was told both need doing, with left first. There needs to be a significant need on the R, and good length of time for the left to fully heal. So I’m not thinking about the R at all; 3 surgeries in 12 m is quite enough for even the most resilient of us! Especially with no opioids.
Halved the Naproxen dose today from 500 to 250mg, and monitoring how it goes.
Had a second small walk outside today, 2 crutches.good to get fresh air and sunshine, and it’s like normal temps right now.
Onwards…
 
Wow! Decent sleep, two walks today outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine on less medication. Sounds like some great progress! Even the weather is cooperating. All good! :thumb:
@Legseleven
 
Bump in the road today - orthostatic hypotension. Not pleasant, I have a dramatic drop in BP on standing. Normal otherwise. Felt so lightheaded and really not myself, I checked the BP after being told by a friend I don’t look right today. She said I looked good on Monday, but was looking very pale today, and yesterday was a good day too.
Put my compression stockings back on and had lots of extra water. Thought I was drinking lots, but maybe not enough. Only other time I’ve had this is every time I had a bout of Covid. Will also try stopping the Nefopam from tomorrow, only on 1 x 30mg a day. I’d already taken it when I found the BP issue. Still I know what it is and it’ll pass soon enough.
Onwards…
 
Will also try stopping the Nefopam from tomorrow, only on 1 x 30mg a day. I’d already taken it when I found the BP issue.
The Nefopam is very likely the cause -- dizziness is one of the most common side effects -- so it's a good idea to stop taking it, if you can.

When it comes to hydrating, here's something a nutritionist recommended during one of my recoveries. Drinking too much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance so she encouraged me to add an electrolyte drink each day. I bought some of those little packets that you can mix into water. Very convenient.
 
Thanks @benne68 I’d wondered about electrolytes. I’ll try to order some online as can’t get to the shops.
See how it goes and making sure always to stand up slowly, do calf raises etc. I’ll be fine, it’s just a glitch in the recovery road.
@sistersinhim unfortunately I couldn’t have a rest day, but I’m ok, I got through it all, including a blocked drain in the washing machine, now unblocked and had to wash a mountain of towels that mopped up the flood!
You couldn’t make it up.
 
Sorry for the bumps in the road. You're handling them well. I'm glad you had a friend there today and hopefully the lightheadedness was an isolated incident and the electrolytes will help.
May tomorrow be a better day! :SUNsmile:
@Legseleven
 
Hey...just noticed you're one month post op today. Happy One Month Anniversary, LE.
I'm sorry today wasn't one of your better days. :console2:
 
Thanks everyone.
So one month on the top inch and a half of the scar is completely sealed and I can put cream on. The remaining five and a half inches are still all scab and glue so waiting for that to heal.
The pain is settling, alleluia. This means I can concentrate on something, if I want to, which I couldn’t do until this week. Everything before was such an effort.
I’m back on Celebrex 2 x d and still on paracetamol 3-4 x d.
BP better today and started some electrolytes. I think it was dehydration as maybe Tuesday I didn’t drink enough.
Walked twice in the lane and did quad sets etc. Tried the chair peddler and can go part one way and part the other, this makes up a complete turn, without actually doing a complete turn. Still using @Roy Gardiner ’s skateboard idea. Flexion 90’ and extension coming along. On the whole fairly content with it all.
Booked physio for next week and see the consultant end of the month.
Onwards…

Oopsie, punctured my air LD by accident. Duct tape to the rescue, ordered another. :rofsign: IMG_4936.webp
 
Last edited:
Best news that the pain is settling and your BP has regulated. Outdoor walks, exercises and PT next week...all positive steps in the right direction.

I'm sorry to read about the puncture in the LD. The idea of the possibility of a puncture helped me make my decision to purchase the foam option. It's not cheap, that ol hunk of foam, but while the upfront cost is higher than the inflatable version, it doesn't puncture or need replacing, so possibly it can end up being a more economical option over time? Nine years past my joint replacement and I still use mine, so in the end, for me, it was a worthwhile investment. It may not be for others.
Long live your new LD, hopefully no more playing "find the leak" :wink:
Have a good night, LE!
@Legseleven
 
Thanks @Layla being in the Uk the cheat’s version was the best option. I’d have loved the real thing and do recommend to all those on BS from your side of the pond to get a LD.
New one came today, ordered exactly the same and it was completely different and much smaller. It’ll do though and customer services came to a satisfactory arrangement. I’ll be much more careful this time.
Today only meds am and pm, yay! Plus lots of visitors, more yay.
 
Plus lots of visitors, more yay.
So uplifting to have visitors -- they do distract us, don't they? Glad to read that your pain is ebbing -- but don't hesitate to step up the meds again if you get breakthrough.

Enjoy your weekend.
 
Day 33
Thanks @benne68. Pain still ok. No NSAIDs, just one lot paracetamol today so far. A big sleep after lunch and two sstrolls so far, with one more to come. Yesterday 3800 steps. Today will be over 3k too. Getting in 3 slow outside walks daily, with crutches, much cooler today, felt like 15’!
Drove the car half a mile this morning to see a friend. All good, found getting in and out is easier with the one operated leg than last years bilateral; it’s still it’s all about opening the car door wide enough.
Long may it last! Tomorrow will be my first meal out.
Onwards :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom