TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

So happy that you had a great PT session that helped your spirit as much as your body. The beginning of recovery are the hardest but you will start to find you will have morse days where the positives outweigh the negatives.
 
Super! Great to hear you've had a good day! Can you always see this pt? I tried to stick with one or two that knew me and my history.
 
Dear brassy: started following your thread today and so HAPPY for you that you had a good day, for once. I am entering my 5th week post-ok LTKR and MY issue isn't my strength, it's my lack of bend-ability (is that even a word??) in my knee.
But like you, I probably should have had the surgery done a couple of years ago. Far too many cortisone shots and actually (unconsciously) began to STOP bending the knee several years ago if it hurt to bend it.
Point being, I guess, I've had the most miserable first four weeks of recovery after surgery. Funny thing...I had an ominous feeling about this surgery ever since I set the date for it...had 4 other joint surgeries prior and NEVER had THAT feeling...scarey. Want you to know, though the instinctive feeling about it was correct, I DID, like you, have my first good day last Saturday and have been feeling better ever since.
I think you're turned a corner too. But I could not have made it without the wonderful women I've "met" on this site. Know that I am rooting for you, prayers, faith and constant griping, lol, will get you where you want to be.
Hugs, newbie tkr
 
It is very important for all of us to remember that the surgical knee has sustained major/dramatic surgical trauma, and that patience is a must. Remember, it took you quite some time to get to the point of having a TKR or a BTKR, and the recovery will take somewhat longer than we are prepared for, as well---patience is a must.

It is also significant to note that, for 99.99% of our recovery folks, recovery is like the longest roller coaster ride in the world. Recovery is not linear---it will, like a roller coaster---have its ups and its downs.
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<


In fact, a TKR recovery looks more like a stock market report---
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<
You are going to have some great days, and some days that should simply be tossed into the dumpster.

Be patient and know that you will reach your destination of being fully recovered---the roller coaster ride will end, and you will be pain-free and not think at all about your new knee---it will be normal again, and normal is where it is all at.
 
It is a roller coaster, you should start having more good than bad days going forward. Unless you over do it and you knee lets you know.
 
Love you all... This site is the bomb diggity! I did have my best day ... And as of an hour ago I shed a thousand tears... Did I over do? Idk... Am I going backwards? Idk .... Am I feeling sorry for myself...??? Yep. Had a great day, got my nails done, stopped at the drug store, went out to din wt the hubby...we picked our fav restaurant about 20 mins away, no prob, got there fine and holy cats, they were shuttling the doors and calling the fire dept, their hoods were on fire... No prob again , sister restaurant ( Rachel's @KarriB ) up the Rd....of course line out the door...decided to drive another 15-20 outlet area... Found a new brewery restaurant...
Timbercreek... I had taken 1/2 pain pill all day... , was getting a little antsy...and stabbing pain was starting... We got a booth where I could put my leg up and all was well...( Food was delicious ..highly recommend ...was a long walk in and went out side door wt steps wt no railing...hubby helped 100% ... Halfway home everything kicked in and I cried hard the last 15 mins.... Moral I guess... I thought I could be strong since yesterday was so good...wrong... I still need my pain pills, my ice and my downtime... Too much too soon... I got cocky... But tomoro is a new day and.... I got this! Stay positive and strong my friends...we are not invincible.... ❤️
 
Welcome to the ODIC! This usually happens when you're feeling so good that you think you can jump back into your normal life. Take it easy tomorrow, rest and elevate that leg to recuperate from Tuesday. TKR isn't a sprint, it's a marathon and nothing we do can hurry it up.
I did see the new restaurant a month ago and wondered how it was. Thanks for the recommendation!
 
bsassy, I understand your frustration. It's hard to take it easy after you have a good day. You want to keep going and enjoy the feeling of progress. I also had days earlier in my recovery when I was stiff and sore and didn't want to go to PT and it turned out to be one of my best sessions. My PT and assistant were very good and only did gentle stretches and exercises and warned me about doing too much.

The whole recovery is slow and even at 4 1/2 months out I just want to be fully recovered. I still get stiff and sore but if I look back I've made huge improvements. I returned to work at 2 1/2 months and could only be on my feet for an hour or two and then I had to sit down for a 10-15 minute break, then repeat. Now I'm on my feet for 8-10 hours with no breaks. Which explains why I still get stiff and sore :snork:. Especially by the time Saturday rolls around.

It's not uncommon to need two to three days of rest after a very active day at this point in recovery. Keep up the good work.
 
@smarttoys Your words hit home! So true that I thought for sure I'd turned that magical corner only to have that bubble burst. My head does know this will get better...it just keeps telling me to get my life back lol. I can't imagine being ready to work in 2 more weeks...I'll be almost 2 months Friday. I'm blessed I can stay home and recover. Today I decided to take a day off from therapy, I'll go tomorrow and Friday and hopefully won't regret the 2 in a row thing. It's to snow here this wkend in western Pa ( seriously ridiculous) so not much to miss if I do recline most of the time. By June I'll be 4 months and hoping and praying I'll be where you and others are in their recovey...encouraging saps like me. Tomorrow is s new day and a new gear... I guess we're only as strong as we want to be and I'm not backing off. You take good care , this site is amazing.
 
It's freeeeezing here in western PA! I'm hunkered down painting a few rooms because there's nothing else to do! Hope you've been snuggled in with a blanket and ice!
 
@KarriB ... I'm so ready for a beach ...we had 4 inches of snow on the deck this morn....and it's still there...ugh! My butt barely left the couch today... 2 naps, the hubs made a late brunch for us...just took my evening pain med and watching some stupid old movie on tv....I knew there was something I forgot!.... Ice!! Did two days in a row of PT, Thursday and Friday, still not getting much strength in my quads and it's starting to consume me...can't even do the one leg stand yet...she did have me have me on the elliptical for 1 min...then 2. Leg presses added to all the usuals... I want progress and it's taking its time...just like spring.... Aren't you productive painting?! Such a good feeling when it's all fresh and new! Stay warm
 
It's not yet two months since you had major surgery. Your quad strength will come back, gradually, but it's too early to start worrying about it.

We don't really recommend starting strengthening exercises until about 3 months after a TKR. That's how long it takes before your wounded knee is healed enough to start putting strain on it.
In another month, your knee will be stronger, whether or not you do strengthening exercises, but it will thank you now if you go easy on those exercises. Doing too much could slow down its progress.

Complete recovery from a TKR takes a full year. In terms of a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint. So, slow down, allow your knee time and it will be able to do everything you want it to.
Meanwhile, dig deep into your store of patience and try not to expect your knee to do too much, too soon.
 
PT is messing with my head
@bsassy Tell me more about your PT and why it's messing with your head?

What are you doing?
Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)

I also had the numbness down the side of my leg, the pain from knee to shin...the worst is still shooting pain across my knee cap.
Inner side or outerside? If it's the latter, that is an inevitable consequence of TKR - can't be avoided. Numb area after TKR
My OS had me on Celebrex 2x a day along with full strength aspirin 2x a day and 2000mg vitamin C. I stopped the Celebrex this week on my own and went to Advil before bed. I still have a lot of stomach issues from the pain meds, even after consulting my gastroenterologist.
I would strongly suggest you amend your drugs.
Aspirin is not prescribed as a pain med but as an anticoagulant. But it IS and NSAID so it's ill advised to take both it and Advil (ibuprofen) as Advil is also an NSAID. NSAIDs are seriously dangerous to your stomach - you can read more about that here Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.
I am worried my quad strength will never come back to where I can do stairs one after another without out holding on
At only 8 weeks that's quite to be expected. A lot of people find they cannot do stairs sequentially until as late as 14 weeks or even longer. You should be find it possible to do that going upstairs but downstairs takes a very very long time.
my PT girls tell me I am behind and weak
Your leg is not weak it's injured! And therefore it needs rest, elevating, ice and pain meds until things begin to settle. I think then you will find you get some tone back but please don't worry about the overall condition until you are about 4/5months out then you can get back into fitness training. But right now you CANNOT do both.
 
@Josephine
Thank you for your interest in my struggles..

To answer your questions:
My PT is 3x per week for one hour sessions
Usually start by riding the bike 10-15 mins. , doing 30 toe raises, 30 squats, walking between parallel bars about 10x back and forth, stepping on a stepper with my bad leg first, 20x straight ,20x sideways...this week we have added the elliptical doing 2 mins on it, leg presses at 20lbs, toe raises with 20lb wights, also some band work where the rubber band is held around my knee and I bend and stretch. I'm sure there are a few more that I'm forgetting.

At home I try to rest but feel guilty not doing anything so I ride my exercise bike 5 mins, do 20 squats, walk around my house (inside) without my cane for 5 minutes, toe raises before bed about 20. I can't master standing on one leg yet nor can I go up a stair with my bad leg at home yet.

My numbness was on the outside of my TLK... It is starting to subside.. I do have a lot of shooting pain in my kneecap area and major tightness in my thigh. I am uncomfortable sitting for longer than 20 mins with my leg down.

I talked with my OS about the meds. Yes, the aspirin replaced cumidin as he explained they found the aspirin had the same benefits. The Celebrex was for inflammation, I was very leary being on that due to its reputation, he wanted 3 months but told me if I was uncomfortable taking it to stop. I don't over do the Advil at all, 600mg in between my morning Norco 10mg and evening Norco 10mg. I have taken Vitamin C 2000mg a day for 8 years ( I have also taken an adult aspirin per day for 8 years as directed by my cardiologist ( family history of heart disease so I stay on top of it...no issues known)

Going up stairs as a normal person is my goal as I mentioned. I have no leg strength, nor did I before the surgery because my knee was so bad. I understand it will take time and work. I'm not being patient I guess.

My leg is injured and it hurts. I find myself thinking about never getting strong enough again and it scares me.

My therapists are very aware and they don't push, I'm the one that pushes myself. Yes 8 weeks is early in recovery and I know I should not compare...but with my RTK ( along with the broken wrist) I was on a plane in 12 weeks enjoying a vacation tour with no pain and no limp, that seems insurmountable at this point.

i appreciate your words of wisdom and this site more than you know.
Marcy
 
I don't over do the Advil at all, 600mg in between my morning Norco 10mg and evening Norco 10mg.
Yes, the aspirin replaced coumidin as he explained they found the aspirin had the same benefits.
I have also taken an adult aspirin per day for 8 years as directed by my cardiologist
This is a BIG red flag to me!
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<
This means you are taking TWO NSAIDs at once which is very dangerous and I am surprised that your surgeon didn't take this into account. I do hope that the aspirin prescribed by your cardiologist is the only one you are taking. But nevertheless, you must stop taking Advil as you increase your risk of stomach and kidney problems by about 150%. Read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
If you need something to take in between prescription med doses, use Tylenol at 1,000mgs per dose - BUT don't forget to add in that which is in the Norco. The safe maximum for 24hrs is 4,000mg.
My numbness was on the outside of my TLK... It is starting to subside
You do know that is an inevitable and unavoidable consequence of TKR surgery, don't you? I documented mine (for posterity!) and was surprised to find it took a few years for my first knee to get normal while my second one has yet to get there but is about 60% improved after only 16 months. Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
I do have a lot of shooting pain in my kneecap area and major tightness in my thigh. I am uncomfortable sitting for longer than 20 mins with my leg down.
Gotcha
I find myself thinking about never getting strong enough again and it scares me but with my RTKR I was on a plane in 12 weeks enjoying a vacation tour with no pain and no limp
Don't let that kind of thinking get established. TKR recovery takes all of a whole year to be complete. Besides which, you should never compare surgeries. Bilateral TKR: having two knees done? Don't compare surgeries!!. I know that my first knee was iffy for at least 6 months but my second romped home in half that time. It's just the way it is.

My comments in bold
PT is 3x per week
bike 10-15 mins - okay
toe raises x30 - these are very punishing on your knee and thigh muscles, besides which, 30 reps are way too much - do 10 at the most
squats x30 - these are very punishing on your knee and thigh muscles, besides which, 30 reps are way too much
walking between parallel bars about x10 - okay
stepper each leg x20 straight x20 sideways - these are very punishing on your knee and thigh muscles, besides which, 40 reps are way too much
elliptical 2mins - the elliptical can be a bit much too - leave it till later, about 4 months out
leg presses at 20lbs - never use weights, very very bad
toe raises with 20lb weights - never use weights, very very bad

knee bend with band - you haven't said how many but just make sure it never ever causes you pain

Home - how many times a day? Once would be more than enough and none at all at the weekends! Or better yet, every other day
exercise bike 5 mins - okay but no resistance
squats x20 - never do squats, they are very punishing on your knee and thigh muscles
toe raises before bed x20 - same for these
can't master standing on one leg yet - I should hope you're not even trying! Much to much for 8 weeks out
can't go up a stair with my bad leg at home yet - nor will you. It can take some months and coming down takes even longer. But this is not something to have a target about - it will happen when it happens and not one minute before!
walks around house without cane for 5 minutes - good

You can see I have crossed out a lot of these exercises as these are the ones that are causing the shooting pains and major tightness in your knee and thigh. I suggest you stop them even though it might cause a tussle with your PT! What I can promise you is that if you continue with them, these pains (tightness is pain) will get worse and worse. It's a fact that most of this 'therapy' is strength building stuff and it's far too early for you to be doing this.

In fact, there have been a number of folk on this forum who have had an excellent and very satisfying recovery whilst doing NO exercises at all. The age old philosophy about this is still entrenched in a lot of knee surgeons' minds but it's untrue and causes an awful lot of people an awful lot of unnecessary pain. Don't you fall victim to this as well. If you want some confirmation, I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!

Finally, if you decide to take a break, it's no good just taking a few days off. It's got to be 4-6 weeks at least before you see any benefit. But you will, I can promise you that.
 
Funny story...Had a break today...got a phone call at 7:30am that my rehab center had an emergency in the bldg and they'd see me Friday for my next scheduled appt. Found out on the local noon news the rehab center and local high school had received bomb threats... Nothing found but this is an ongoing prob in our town and the minute we don't take it serious is the time something happens. It's funny because it happens about once a month and the school and rehab center's phone #'s are one apart... I think if whoever was doing this ( kids probably) were smart enough to plant a bomb they'd at least be smart enough to get the phone numbers straight lol...

Can't say I was disappointed to have a day off rehab... I needed a break to try to calm my thoughts.

Eight weeks post op... Exactly two months yesterday, my TLKR Was 2/12/16.

I still cry every day, the pain is intense... Stabbing in the knee cap, shooting pain down the shin...aching in my thighs...walking with a limp, ROM 123 which is about the only good thing... ( and straightening is where it should be as well....)

As much as I read thru all the posts, listen to Josephine, read the literature... I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it hurts THIS bad still.

I got into trouble wt the pain meds in the beginning, Not from too many but I did not receive Colase or stool softners in the hospital,( as I've now learned that opiates are horrible in sucking the water supply from our insides and clogging us up if you will) ....when I came home the visiting nurses weren't all that concerned ( or educated in that matter ) ... Had quite the time for the first month intestinal wise along wt the knee battles...finally talked to a gastroenterologist who got things working again ...(wasn't pretty)...and since then I'm so afraid to take my pain meds. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue... I am limiting myself now to two 7.5mg Norco once a day about an hour before PT usually around 1pm... Come home, ice for a bit and go about trying to be normal... I can usually get thru until about 11:00-11:30 in the eve but then I cave... I know I need to sleep. Not saying I don't need more pain control, I am just afraid I'll have stomach issues again even tho I'm now on treatment for that.

As I lay in bed now for the night it's 1:20am, I took one Norco about 11:30 and have had zero relief from the burning and constant aching and tightness... As mentioned prior, I'm not worried about addiction in the least...I'm a little gun shy on the opiates vs bowels... It's a head game I play and I know it's prob not helping speed my recovery...just wondered what the average intake of pain relief at 8 weeks should be...? I'm sure it's different for everyone....

I'm walking mostly without a cane, I do have pain and tightness tho, I can stand it about two hours max just sitting but constantly figiting...

I can't pick my leg up without my own help to set it on a bench or stool yet... Is this anyone's else's prob? Getting showered, dressed , hair and makeup is a daunting task lately... I find myself not wanting to go out because it's too much of an effort. Am I alone here or should I try harder?? I do feel better when we meet friends and I can get my mind off of me! Today was the first I decided to put jeans on...(I've lived in yoga pants) ... I will admit, being dressed and dining out almost made me feel normal tonight...except for the darn pain.

Will start fresh in the morning... A new day! I am beginning to lose my positivity and just wondering if I'm doing it all wrong??

Tell me something good my friends, if you can, ....we are all on this ride together and thank God for the support and the trials of everyone else...we know we aren't alone!
 
As I lay in bed now for the night it's 1:20am, I took one Norco about 11:30 and have had zero relief from the burning and constant aching and tightness... As mentioned prior, I'm not worried about addiction in the least...I'm a little gun shy on the opiates vs bowels...
at 8 weeks I was taking pain meds at least once during the day as well as before bed. The same principle as early on applies--don't wait until the pain gets super bad before taking something. Take a stool softener and drink lots of water every day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom