Guest viewing is limited

TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

meds (Norco 10 325mg) at best I can get to a 4 or 5 if I'm resting.
But how often were/are you taking it? And I think I said before, one tablet is an inadequate dose. You're exposing yourself to all the negative side affects and getting none of the positive effects.
I have cut back my therapy to 2x a week and cut out the exercises you were against. We did add the treadmill for five minutes.
But did you not read my recovery stories? I left you links to them for a reason - that you drop ALL exercising and PT, totally! It's unnecessary and counter-productive.
Heel toe as instructed.
Don't obsess about that. Sometimes it can be a strain if you focus on it too much.
I do not do much thru the day and don't know if I'm hurting myself or helping by mostly sitting and elevating.
Well if you don't mind me saying so, that's a rather daft comment as you can't hurt yourself by doing nothing!!

However, I would say this - in my previous reply, I spent about an hour responding to your answers, the main point of which was this (and I quote)
"My assessment (as always) is that you are doing way too much exercise. I am of the opinion that all this frenetic exercising is unnecessary and causes more harm than good. In fact, I think it's much more likely to cause poor progress in ROM than otherwise"

I even highlighted it in red to draw your attention to it. But it seems you never took my advice but you did take advice of others (while they always give superb advice!) but it just makes me so disappointed that you waited all this time to do what I advised you to do a whole month ago!

"I think I just took a real breath for the first time in the last week... You have given me the encouragement that I needed to back off therapy... I really do think I'm aggravating it more than helping it.."
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Yes her exact words were " you're not where you should be and we really need to kick it into high gear if you're ever going to feel normal again.... I'm made to feel so inadequate and such a failure I totally doubt myself.
I sometimes think these people get a rush out of bullying their patients. There's no other answer for it. Another thing that makes me mad! :hissy: :tantrum:
My main concern is the trembling as I walk and the stabbing pain thru the kneecap. The OS didn't seem concerned with that. I suppose if the surgery was successful the rest I'm on my own.
That's a perfect fact, I'm afraid. And where I step in!
My knee is moderately swollen , very "hot" to the touch. this is a new and different type of pain.
You know I think you've just said something really significant here. This is not the usual post-op pain, it's neuropathy, or nerve pain. I've had it myself so I recognise this description exactly. And mine erupted about 6 weeks out as well. I remember telling my GP that it was a burning pain. She put her hand on my knee and said that it didn't feel that hot. To which I replied "You should feel it from this side - it feels like I have a gremlin in there with a blow torch!". She gave me something for it immediately!

So I suggest you go see your GP, give him the exact description you just gave here and see if he will prescribe you some gabapentin or paragablin. I think it will give you the relief you seek. But it doesn't work immediately. Sometimes it can take a week and very often you have to have the dosage adjusted before you get the full effect. I had three adjustments from 100mgs twice daily to 300mgs twice daily. Even that is quite a moderate dose but you have to keep your GP updated as to how effective it's being.
 
Thank you Josephine for your comments.
I have read your suggested threads and advice more than once each.

My comment about helping or hurting myself was not meant to be daft.
Do I stay off it and let it heal or do I go about my day and try to resume normal activities and hope it strengthens. One seems to contradict the other the way I see it.

Will call my PCP regarding a neuropathy diagnosis as you suggested.
 
One seems to contradict the other the way I see it.
You'd think that, wouldn't you. But the only reason you do is because you bought into the PT's 'gotta work at it' ethic. But also, it's not activities that are the problem, it's the exercises! Because they are not natural. Walking and other 'normal' activities of daily living are natural. See the difference?
 
When I go to therapy it's always that do and so could do this by week 5, and somebody's grandmother could do something before they left the hosp.... I know they mean well but I does make one feel rather inferior and slow. Yes her exact words were " you're not where you should be and we really need to kick it into high gear if you're ever going to feel normal again.... I'm made to feel so inadequate and such a failure I totally doubt myself.
Maybe your therapist was taught all that rubbish, but the newer approach is to be more gentle and allow the knee to heal. My friend who is a PT told me that the refresher courses put less emphasis on hard work and deadlines.

We advise people not to compare knees, even your own, if you have both knees done. Nobody else's knee was in exactly the same state before surgery, nobody else's knee had exactly the same things done during surgery, and nobody else's knee is going to heal at the exactly the same speed as yours. Your knee is on its own journey and will recover at its own pace. Listen to the knee and do all you can, to keep it happy.

No matter what her intentions, I think it is cruel and indefensible to tell people what she told you. It makes me so angry, to think that you were treated like that.
I hate that you were made to feel inadequate and as if it was your fault you weren't meeting your PT's artificial deadlines. That is really unkind, especially when you have just had major surgery and you are weak and defenceless.
 
@Celle thank you for your kind words and encouragement...feeling inadequate is putting it mildly...being scolded was just not what I needed at this point of the game.
I had my TRK in 2008 and yes.. I am comparing even tho my OS told me this knee now was by far way way worse ( I put it off for more than 3 years and probably should have done it 5-6 years ago).

I took today and tried to make it ordinary... I did some laundry, ran some errands ( bank, Rxs...all drive thrus), rested then started dinner.... I can't say the pain was any better but my head was clearer knowing that I was being me again and I'll be ok no matter how long it will take.

Can't tell you I still don't want to cry, but can tell you with the support you've given... I've got this. ( or will )
Many thanks ....
 
You're welcome! We're here to help.
We understand, because we've been through it, too.
 
What an awful PT! Can't believe they're comparing recoveries. I so hope after a week of no therapy you're feeling better. You have great ROM too! The strength will come back, it just takes more time for some knees. :yes:
 
Hi brassy:
Fellow PA (Johnstown) resident here just reading through a few of your threads... You are about 3 weeks ahead of me in recovery...
So so sorry to hear that it's been difficult for you. Your story, thus far, sounds somewhat similar to mine, in that I too have had a great deal of anxiety (something I've dealt with most of my life) since post-op. Also, still working very hard to "wrap my head" around the fact that recovery is going to take much longer than I originally thought.
One thing that happened to me (and ultimately FOR me) and I hope what I'm about to say is NOT offensive to you...this has just been MY experience and cannot speak for any one else, but I will say that for several weeks after surgery (and right after finding this incredible website) I went through a period of such intense focus (really, it became obsessive) on my knee and every little tweak, nerve discomfort, what everyone else was saying compared to how I was doing, and doing EVERYTHING that was suggested on this site, etc. ad nauseam, that, after weeks of my obsessive need to focus on my knee, it seemed to REALLY HURT MORE than before... sooo... I decided to try a little experiment. I decided that, for a couple of days, I was not going to focus on my knee and I stayed OFF this site for two days- yes, I took care of my knee but psychologically I "let go" of allowing it to be the focal point of my day. Instead I focused more on the aspects of my healthy life and body parts- started doing my upper body workouts again ( I've worked out my entire life), wrote letters, read the paper, ANYTHING BUT OBSESS about my "silly" knee. And the knee began to feel better; almost as if I was ignoring a baby's screaming temper tantrum and the baby stopped screaming (once it realized it was NOT the bain of my existence any longer) and that I was NOT going to respond to its' every little whim.
To this day I am continuing to practice this exercise because it's working so well! Psychologically, I'm ready to jump back into life full-speed ahead but physically I know I cannot do this. Indeed, today I've got to rest my knee as I did too much yesterday and am paying the price for it this morning. But I realize now that it's better for me, and this is JUST FOR ME, to stop putting my knee front and center of every waking moment- you're probably NOT doing this but IT IS what I was doing, and in doing so I created a little monster of my knee.
Going to sit in the sun again today as I can't get enough of this PA springtime.
Hope you're feeling better...will continue to follow your thread.
Newbie tkr
 
@Newbie tkr Good Morning. Im so glad you took the time to share your experiences with me. I believe you are spot on when saying we focus every waking hour on our knee and our recovery. What a wonderful way to look at it and not let it consume you! I've tried the "I am the boss, you don't run me" route but my head can't get passed the pain or the thought of will I be normal again?? You're right that it is all consuming... This pain, that ache, the slow standing, losing the cane, wobbling, hobbling.. I am so TIRED of the whole process as I'm sure you are as well and everyone on here. As I mentioned, I had my Ttk Done 8 yrs ago and in three months was on a plane to Vegas. At 10 weeks now I couldn't possibly think about a day at the mall let alone a vacation. Each knee is different.. Boy aren't they!! The tightness down the side and the pains across my knee cap keep me well aware I'm far from enjoying much these days. I do try to forget but honestly I think it has a mind of its own and then the anxiety kicks into high gear. I asked my husband the other night during one of my many meltdowns, what did I ever do to deserve this? Immediately I thought stop it Marcy there are so many people so much worse off and fighting and battles that we can't even comprehend . Will get through it, one way or another and it's people like you that take the time to share your story and not judge that makes every day so much easier! Yes a day in the sun on the deck is what I have planned is well we don't see too many sunny days here in western Pennsylvania so it's good to be out when we can . I will follow your your thread as well and wish you only the best, hopefully we can get through this together !!
 
There are a lot of us who are still crying over "why did this happen to me/why did my recovery go like this/etc". I am one. I have no answers. My knees were perfect, I rode 1000 miles on my bike last summer and then in a tiny accident, fell (in France) on the third day of a 5 day bike ride with my family and others - right on my knee (badly fractured tibial plateau and dislocated knee) and had to spend 8 days in the hospital there, had surgery, then flown home and waited to heal the bones and then have a knee replacement - and still have only low 80's for flexion 2 ½ months later. Extension is fine. Pain is much better, swelling is down, but don't know if I'll ever ride a bike again, or do stairs the "big girl" way, walk normally or do so many things. My family all says "you're strong you can beat this" but I honestly don't know if I can "beat it". However, I can still live a good life. Step one was getting off pain meds which I'm slowly doing - my attitude is so much better now, less depression - I cry less, less fake "euphoria", despite some pain but it's a worthwhile exchange for me at this point. Step 2 - doing upper body weights and also walking more, While I still don't have my old stamina or strength, I'm working on it - just resting (yes, with elevation and icing) more too - good excuse to be "lazy" sometimes I guess and that's ok. Step 3 - acting more normal, doing usual activities for at least half the day! I'm determined it will not rule my life anymore. It's been seven months since my accident - I may have to be a somewhat different person but I'm determined life will be good.

I still keep in touch with the doctor I had in France and he's thrilled I can walk at all. He kept warning me how bad it was but I didn't want to believe it I guess. My OS here is a renowned trauma orthopedic surgeon that I was referred to and we'll see what his latest comment is on Friday...he has already warned me I will not likely get full ROM, more like 100-110 but I know he wanted to see more than I have by this point (about mid 80's) I trust him and will do what he recommends.

You can do it too - whatever the end result. Most likely with your good ROM, you just need time and patience, hard as those are to allow for....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
While fighting the infection in my knee I also tried to think that I could be in worse shape. That there are people with cancer or an on going illness, that my knee would be ok in a few weeks or months. It's hard when your life seems to be on hold and everyone else's life has moved on. I cried everyday and prayed constantly.

My dr.'s advice was non-aggressive bending, I worried incessantly that it wouldn't do the trick after not bending my leg for a month, that is be walking peg legged the rest of my life, but after a month of non-aggressive bending I was riding a bike. It will get better, but know that there's nothing you can do to hurry things along.

Have you contacted your PCP about possible nerve pain?
 
Hope you're doing well, Marcy! It's been a beautiful week here, except for Friday!
 
@KarriB ... Thanks Karri...actually have been silent for a while recovering from a bout with the flu...didn't really need that on top of everything else but what can you do?

Actually the knee is feeling stronger but I still have the feeling of EXTREME tightness around it and down the outer side... I'm still feeling discouraged and a little concerned. I've been out for short walks, out for dinner, trying to resume daily life but the strength and stamina still isn't where I'd like to be at almost 3 months out. Wondering if I should call my OS before my scheduled appt in 2 wks to have him check? I know the higher ups will say it's not a race but you'd think by now I'd have some relief and there's been none...

Weather has been wonderful...we were down your way last week, hubby bought a new vehicle in Cranberry Friday ( during the pouring rain ) so of course we took a drive after picking it up..
Thanks for checking in! Hope all is well with you! :)
 
It's just over 10 weeks since your surgery. I think your knee is still giving you a message that you are doing too much for it. Since complete recovery from a TKR takes a full year, you are still less than a quarter of the way. That's still too early to be able to lead a completely normal life. My knees would still swell after I did a bit too much until at least 6 months after my surgeries. That's their way of asking you to ease off a bit, to do all you can to keep them happy.

If you have another look at this article, Activity progression for TKRs , you will see this:
"Week 10 add to previous
Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait now by which time, all things being well, you should pretty much start getting back to normal but don't rush it. If you do and you start getting pain and stiffness in your knee, that's a sign your knee doesn't appreciate what you're doing, that you're rushing ahead too fast. Slow down, right down, and start again. This stage might last until week 14 or even 16 but if it takes a even longer, don''t worry about it."


I don't think there's any need to see your surgeon sooner than your regular appointment.
 
@Celle THANK YOU much for the article reference and re-assurance... Some days are harder than others... I did push myself last week quite a bit.. I am trying to get my life back and meantime worrying myself to death....needed a reality check I guess. It didn't get bone on bone overnight.
 
I felt that tightness for quite a while. I remember saying it felt like I was pulling on a rubber band when I took steps. The stamina will come. I went back to school part time at 12 weeks and spent every afternoon napping, elevating and icing. It was probably 7 months before I felt my stamina was where it should be. The day of our field trip (May) I came home and road my bike and I am usually whipped after a field trip. My new knee went up and down bus steps three or four times in a day.

Last June I bought my new car on a rainy day in Cranberry too! Glad the flu is gone!
 
Always so good to know you're not alone when it seems like it's the end of any more good days ahead...thanks @KarriB for sharing your days...
Speaking of rain...a good thunderstorm is happening here as I type.. :)
 
bsassy:
@KarriB

Hi fellow PA's-
Just finished reading your latest threads bsassy; I'm exactly where you're at psychologically. Not just similar to where you are, I mean EXACTLY where you are headwise...am so sick and tired and angry and fearful that this recovery will NEVER END! Even though I do see progress (beginning my 8th week post-op) am seeing my full recovery as something very distant in the future ..went off the narcotic meds yesterday and today started on Tramadol instead. So, going through some minor discomfort but nothing unmanageable.
I told my sister a couple weeks ago that I'd go to Altoona with her tomorrow (stupidly thinking I'd be in great shape by now) but I really dread going because I do tire quickly and, like a wounded animal, I just want to crawl off and be left alone. She wants to go shopping. I want to park myself in the back seat of her SUV and sleep. But I will go with her b/c I promised her I would-besides, you never know...it may be great for me too.
A couple of people that I thought were good friends have "suddenly dropped out of sight", just disappeared from my life...no return phone calls or text messages...I'm leaving it alone. No need to do anything. I think it's just part of the journey I'm on.
Must focus on the gifts I have right now; the Springtime in PA, my loyal kitties, my support group here and the knowledge that WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS. Good to remember that the hard part is over (meaning those first four god-awful weeks of recovery).
Hope you're doing okay, both you and KarriB.
Signed,
Dancing in my dreams (Newbie tkr)
 
@bsassy
I know it seems like for ever since you started this recovery journey, but you really are doing OK. It's hard to be patient, I know, especially when your mind is telling you that you should be further ahead, but your knee tells you "No way. Not yet." I think that this article expresses those feelings so well:
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Try to remember this (and @Newbie tkr , this is for you, too):
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<
So, even if you feel that you're only progressing at a tortoise-like rate, remember that it was the tortoise who won the race. If you have to be a tortoise, so be it - you're still going to be a winner.
 
Back
Top Bottom