TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Don't try to strengthen your quads yet- it's too soon. Now is the time for healing and gentle mobility stretches. When you're about 12 weeks post op we'll talk about strengthening those muscles. I know how frustrating this recovery process can seem. Don't worry, you are doing great!
 
I'm in need of some advice on how to strengthen my quads. I've been doing outpatient PT for two weeks now and all is going well except I have absolutely no strength in my upper quad of my TLKR. We are working to get there but nothing so far...sigh.
It's much too early to be worrying about strengthening. Your knee needs to heal more before you start that.
Some strength will come back naturally, as you use your leg more.
We recommend that you don't start any strengthening exercises until at least 3 months after your surgery.
 
Have you tried Miralax in orange juice or some other drink? I think you said you can't take the taste, but I found it tasteless in water so maybe in juice or a shake.
I think it may be too early to work on strength in your TKR leg. My pt group waited until 4 months to start any weight or strength training because of the pressure put on that new knee. At that time they put me on a few different machines with weights as well as walking/stepping over short hurdles, which also helped with balance. Are you able to bike? I made sure I was biking and swimming laps the summer after my TKR.
 
@KarriB Good morning. Yes , I've bought Miralax and have been able to keep it down if I mix it in ginger ale...it doesn't do much for me...maybe I'm not using enough...I do a half capful because anymore than that I'm neausaus...may have to try splitting it up thru the course of the day...(not sure why that just occurred to me...duh!) my PTs are really good and I have no complaints... They aren't pushy , just encouraging. When I say I have no quad strength, I can't even stand on that leg without it buckling and the pain shoots across my kneecap area.
She checked my knee cap/scar etc...and did some massage work on it...didn't help much. We do the balance mat between the bars and I can not let go. We walk up and down the hall wtout the cane and I'm wobbly, seems my knee does not want to bend ( because my head knows the pain will shoot thru?).
I do 15 mins on the bike to start every session, and that's a breeze.... She had mentioned next week trying the elliptical , we have one at home and I thought about trying that this wkend but my husband is on call and I'd rather not try it alone. If waiting 4 months to work on strengthening that quad, that seems like quite a while out and by the time I build it up it'll be fall... Yikes. I know...patience, but it's not my strong point lol.
Hey Karri, I know you took a trip to Iron Bridge for lunch a few weeks back.... I've been craving Jimmy Wan's in Cranberry down your way like you can't believe lol!!
 
If constipation really becomes a severe problem as it did with me, glycerine suppositories are the answer. After I had used one of them then ordinary laxatives worked fine.
 
@bsassy why don't you try doing a bit more walking? How much are you walking now? I think that would be the most natural way to begin strengthening your quad until you're far enough out to work on strength, even if you use a cane at first. Due to the infection my leg was in an imbolizer for a month, it was very weak because that imbolizer was doing a lot of the work for the leg. My pt group put me on a treadmill to straighten out my gait and build strength after the infection. I found holding onto the bars helpful while on the treadmill. I think a treadmill would be better for your knee at this point than an elliptical as long as you don't overdo it. Just a few minutes at first.

I've never been to Jimmy Wan's, but I've heard of it. Have to give it a try. I'm in Cranberry twice a week now for PT (plantar fasciitis treatment). I think I pass it on my way to PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bsassy: just started reading your post and was struck by some of the similarities in our situation...the biggest one being that you live in western PA.
I'm in Johnstown. Whereabbouts are you located?
 
@bsassy:
I read your threads with regards to the poop fairy issue! Lol! Trust me...you are in great company. I use magnesium caltrate which you can purchase at your local drug store (Walgreens, CVS) etc. It comes in a liquid form in various flavors (I chose cherry flavor). Works like a charm. I drink half an 8 ounce bottle each day and voila! No more issues. You can then get over that hurdle and not have to expend worry and energy on that issue!
Like you, I am in the dark days of recovery. Patience is key although the road to recovery seems like forever.
:wave:
 
After both TKR's I had trouble with quadriceps muscle inhibition, which is where the quad doesn't automatically fire following a major insult to the knee (e.g. surgery). In my case quad inhibition combined with atrophy resulted in occasional buckling. To overcome this I did the "Church Pew" exercise (ask your PT) and practiced consciously tightening my quad with each step as I walked. I made slight progress, however I still wasn't ready for actual quad strengthening until about 12 weeks post op. There doesn't seem to be much one can do to rush this recovery, but if you try too hard you can cause swelling and set yourself back.

For the poop fairy issue I increased my fiber and H2O intake, especially taking care to drink a large glass of water every morning with breakfast. This worked for me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My outpatient PT basically only dealt with strengthing the quad in my surgical knee. Once I stopped PT, the swelling has really gone down in my knee. I am just doing everyday things and I will not try to do any strengthening for a little while. One of the physical therapists even told me that I needed to massage my incision every day or I would lose flex. I was already at 125 and my scar looks great. Where do they get these ideas?
 
@Clipless yep...we worked on the church pews yesterday... It was the last thing we did, I was worn out and you think I can remember how they go now? Ha...! I do think the swelling around my kneecap is prohibiting me from making more progress than I have...I keep telling myself it's only temporary!
Believe me, I've tried your method and many more to get that fairy to visit...she must like you better than me :) lol
 
@Fitzie I'm on my way to the drug store! Although I do have a problem with those types of liquids, they always come back up... At this point anything is worth a try...
I know we have to have patience but dear Lord, I'd rather have a beach!! At least the very worst is behind us :)
 
@Newbie tkr Hello.. I'm in very western Pa.( On the Ohio border ) about an hour north of Pittsburgh...
Not too familiar with Johnstown , but I wish you well in your recovery!
 
@KarriB I'm glad you mentioned the treadmill... I recall after my first knee that's what I started on every session and also what I finished on...I remember not even having to hold on. My thoughts are I'm just so swollen yet that I have no strength for anything. Will definitely mention this to the therapists Monday...how am
I going to do an elliptical when there's no strength to push!
Try Jimmy Wan's ... It's in seven fields up by Chick Fila fast food plaza.
 
@bsassy
It sounds to me as if your PT is pushing you too fast. Your knee sin't ready for some of the things she/has is having you do. It may take longer than your PT expects, but you will still get there.

For a start, if your leg collapses when you stand on it, then you still need more support than just a cane. You still need a walker or crutches, so you don't fall.. The time to give them up is only when you find you are moving around the house and forgetting to use the walking aid. These walking aids are just a tool adn ther are no prizes for giving them up early.

Don't even consider using the elliptical yet - it's quite punishing on a new knee.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you again, this time about your weak quads and particularly about your exercises. She'll probably ask you a lot of questions first. Do try to answer them as fully as possible, especially about the number and type of exercises you are doing.
 
I think this is a case of "work smarter, not harder." I think Clipless and others are on the right track with the exercises, but remember this is a long process. Working intensely will just give you more swelling and soreness. If you take it slow you should get there.
 
Yes, if your knee is still swollen an elliptical or even a treadmill will only cause more swelling. Get the swelling down then worry about strengthening your quad. I know once you can do a straight leg raise they're not necessary, but would they help strengthen the quad, @Celle ?
 
Yes, they would, but it's a question of how much strain you want to put on your knee before it's properly healed. SLRs take a lot of effort and they do stress the knee. If you can do them soon after having a TKR, it's a sign that your quads are working again. Having proved that, you don't need to do SLRs again until you commence a strengthening programme, at about 3+ months.
That's my take on it , anyway.
 
Thanks, Celle. I wondered because SLR were one of the few exercises I was allowed to do after the washout and I did them with the imbolizer on. Amazingly it didn't hurt my knee, but I felt like I was doing something. Later my leg still felt very weak without the imbolizer.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom