TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Hope your tests come back normal :fingersx: .
It may be time for a second opinion, you might want to start looking. That way you will have some OS's that specialize in revisions lined up, if the need arises.
 
Did he take x-rays? I didn't seem to have a lot of pain with my infection. I know that's not the case with everyone, but that was my situation. I'll keep you in my prayers and be sure to post the test outcomes.
 
Praying for you Marcy! Just sent you an email...
When do you get the rest results back??
 
I hope you hear soon, so you can put aside your worry. I'm so sorry your pain continues.
 
Good news ... No infection...
Bad news ... OS not sure why there's so much pain this far out... 3 months tomorrow.
I give up... I'm putting it in the higher hands and going to try to just move on...pain or not.
I still feel I waited too long and all the cortisone shots and synthetics I begged for for the last 3 years had to mess with the tissue, bone etc...
OS said "we'll watch it for a while"... Whatever that means...
Feeling discouraged but still keeping the faith...hope everyone else is on the rise
 
@bsassy .... I just read through your thread again to get the whole picture of your recovery and the pain issues you're having. Hon, I have to say that I think you have not grasped the idea that you need to slow down for a while....like for a month or two and let yourself heal. It sounds to me like you're doing too much even though I know you're just "trying to get back to normal."

My suggestion is to schedule just one thing (or nothing) each day....no stacking up of errands. Cut out the social visits for at least a month unless your friends will come to your house for a visit. The getting ready, getting there and back and the actual event are just too much for your poor knee right now.

It's perfectly okay to have days where you prop up and do nothing but watch television, read or do a craft all day. No need to do your hair and put on makeup. Ice more than the 3 hours a day (are you icing at night while sleeping? You should be.)

I'm sure all this runs counter to what you do normally, but you are still very much in recovery. It's slowed somewhat because you have been pushing trying to be "normal" almost from the beginning.

It would not be wise to continue in this way. It is actually possible to keep your knee so inflamed that the pain and swelling (even if you can't see it, you have swelling internally right now) become chronic and very difficult to resolve. Keep reminding yourself that this "slug period" is temporary. You will be able to do all those things again, but you must allow your body to recover. Even if you take all my suggestions and put them in place immediately, it will likely be several weeks before you notice a significant improvement. Don't get discouraged! It will come. But you really need to slow down.

As an example, with both my knees, I was on pain meds of some type on a schedule for about 8 weeks. Then for another 4 weeks, I took pain meds as needed (mostly at night to sleep). I was pretty much at home for 8 weeks. At about 3 months, I could do AN errand or dinner out (about an hour) one day then rested at home the next day. Even at 6 months out, I still felt rocky sometimes when I was out on an errand and had to watch my stamina...it wasn't normal yet.

I say this to reassure you that your recovery still is within the normal range. But things will go ever so much easier for you if you listen and respond to what your body tells you (rest when you're tired; stay home more and don't force outings; don't do things that aren't absolutely necessary).
 
No infection is VERY good news! But Celle may be onto something. When I say I did nothing for the month after my infection surgery, I did nothing. No shopping, very little house work and cooking onky around week 3-4. This is what my OS prescribed due to the compromised condition of the soft tissue. I know you have to be bored and tired of not being yourself at this point, but try just one thing a day for a while and see what happens to the pain. If you go out to eat, elevate your leg, just let it rest and see where the pain goes.if the pain becomes less, than it'll have been worthwhile, if not then you've lost nothing. Hopefully we'll get some good weather and you can ice and elevate out on the deck!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom