TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

I am able to walk around the house without the cane...I guess because my knee was so bad before the surgery I was limping and hobbling anyway so it doesn't feel that much different to me.

My straight leg raises were tough at first but I had them conquered by week 4. I'm still not able to do the sitting ones ( sit on a chair and raise straight out...I only get about halfway up on those) my pain is most intense on the top of the knee cap area closer to my thigh. There are some exercises I breeze right through and then the strength ones are an epic fail.

I don't feel I'm over working it but maybe I am??

I don't see my OS until the 11th. My insurance only pays for 20 outpatient visits and I've used 6 so far. I don't want to "waste" the ones I have left doing the same thing and not gaining anything.

As I sit here in my recliner I feel stabbing pains right through the the top of the kneecap area. I get very little relief from that, pain meds or not. I'm about as low as I can get tonight, I know everyone has played the patience card as well but at 7 weeks out and taking it one day at a time I just feel I'm going backwards. I wonder if waiting longer than I should have to have the surgery has hindered my way back to normal??
 
There are some exercises I breeze right thru and then the strength ones are an epic fail.
That's because it's too early to be doing them. You're asking too much of a knee that has experienced major trauma. Give the poor thing a chance to heal, before you stress it like that.
Any time before 3 months after surgery is too soon to be doing strengthening exercises.

When your knee hurts, it's telling you to stop doing what hurts it.

And, to be perfectly honest, you would be better off with no PT than with PT that is causing pain and potential harm, like this.
 
I didn't have a normal recovery after 4 weeks, so I can't answer what is normal at week 7, but there is an activity progression chart you can look at.
 
Yes, I'm going to address this with my OS's office Monday and my PT center as well.... Not sure why they are pushing so fast...it's not like I tell them it's all good I have no pain.... I definitely tell them how much it hurts and where! I do not want to take any un-necessary chances that will hinder the long term outcome!
 
Just tell your OS's office that you don't consider that being hurt is in your best interests and you won't allow it. End of discussion. You're in charge of your knee, remember.
 
Hi @bsassy I will be four weeks post op this Tuesday. I ditched the crutches at week two because they were making pain worse in knees and shoulders and losing feeling in fingers. Indoors I'm confident and move okay but in those first two weeks I think I was the impatient patient! New knee in and scar healed well that's it off you go, looking back I do think I was trying to do too much so I have been resting more icing more oh and popping pills like penny sweets but that's been a long issue after four back operation.
I've not been out for two days and I now feel ready for a little walk I drive an auto so will go to common where it's flat. I've found resting as much as we hate it does help. Yes I still have tightness and swelling but it's going down. So do what feels right for you if it's that warm out hide hubbies golf clubs til he has sorted a cofortable lounger for you to have s change of scenery lol
I think with everyone being so different in hieght weight original damage age and so on its inevitable we are all going to heal at different speeds. As frustrating as lying there is if that's comfortable and as long as you get up and do a little exercise then so be it until you feel it's right.
I feel like I've been left in limbo since my operation my son had to lose his temper as nobody had seen me or the scar for two weeks. I am unable to see the physio until the end of this month which is crazy. If it had not been for this sight I would only be doing the early stretches I was given when leaving hospital. So it's a bit of a worry to know am I doing the right things so I decided if it hurt I would rest and ice if I feel brighter as I do this afternoon I will shower and have a walk. So do what's right for you Mary and hearing dog Harley sends a healing :dogsniff: woof and this will be him when we get to common :heehee::doggie:
 
My thoughts are I'm just so swollen yet that I have no strength for anything. Will definitely mention this to the therapists Monday...how am I going to do an elliptical when there's no strength to push!
bsassy, you are THREE WEEKS OUT! Did I waste my time addressing your exercises here? Because you are making it seem like I did. Go back and read my posts again. Tag me when you have and if you can see what's wrong about your present routine!
 
@Josephine I am OVER SEVEN WEEKS out, not THREE My leg is no stronger than before surgery.

The pain across my kneecap area is constant, whether I exercise or not. Shooting, stabbing pain.

I am concerned the strength won't come back because I should have had the TKR 3 years ago but bought time with cortisone and the "chicken fat" injections.

The therapists are kind, helpful and encouraging, i am the one with the insecurities of not returning to my former life.
 
7 weeks is still early in the game. Those muscles and tissues are still sensitive. Your strength will come back but it won't be on your schedule.
 
At seven or eight weeks, we believe that we have been in recovery long enough. In reality, recovery can take upwards to a year to complete----I actually gained ROM in tiny increments after the 1-year anniversary of my BTKR.

Patience is the key---and strength, stamina, and fine-motor control are sometimes the very last to return. I had a slight limp after my BTKR for about five months. It was not until I was at around six months that I could say that I was around 80%-85%, and eight months until I was 90%-95%---close, but not there yet---100%.
I am concerned the strength won't come back because I should have had the TKR 3 years ago but bought time with cortisone and the "chicken fat" injections.
It will come back---but patience is the key here---take heart in the fact that you willl regain your strength, your stamina, and your lifestyle----but it will take longer than you are prepared for and longer than you expect. (that is the way it was for most of us.)
 
Don't give up. You will get better. Sometimes our bodies seem to not pay attention to what our minds are saying. 7 weeks is still early in the game when you are thinking of a lifetime.
 
The strength will come, but it's just too early right now. My OS told me to be prepared for a long recovery, 3 months before returning to work and a year before I felt like myself. You are seven weeks. Are you getting out at all? Can you have lunch or dinner (elevate even then) with friends? I found that it helped to get back to some normal activities. I couldn't work or shop, but I did go to a friend's house to watch a movie once in a while, went to lunch with friends or had visitors. Because of my infection it was 2 months before I began to feel normal, but these things helped me when I was feeling isolated.

The theater in Cranberry now has recliners! That would be perfect for recovering from a TKR!
 
Are you getting out at all? Can you have lunch or dinner (elevate even then) with friends? I found that it helped to get back to some normal activities.
I agree---are you getting out and about here and there? Not for long times, but enough to bring a bit of normalcy into your life? Just ice and elevate after your go out. Psychologically, it will give you a lift.

In the mean time,
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!!

Do not worry about regaining your strength ----it will come back!!! You will be better than ever---and you will be able to enjoy your life, as you will be more active and be pain-free!!
 
@KarriB I am getting out, we go to dinner a few nights a week.... Have friends in to play cards etc...it does help but still feel helpless... My head knows it's going to be a long process... I guess I'm just going to have to start believing it and not my husband...he thinks I'm doing great, can't understand why I don't want to do more etc... Blah!
I did hear about that Theater in Cranberry...may have to check it out when I feel I can ride more than 20 mins.
At least the Acm's are on tonight...this is the first year in many I've missed being out there for them. I'll think of that and maybe it'll pep me up ;)
 
it does help but still feel helpless...
Part of this is the idea that, for once in our lives, we are tremendously dependent on folks.

It is necessary; we need time to let our knee or knee's heal. Remember how much surgical trauma your knee has sustained----and hang in there.

The dependency will end, and you will regain your independence, and your life will be normal again!
 
I understand your frustration. I have lived it! I am now approaching my 5 month mark and I am still having swelling and some pain. I cannot take drugs, so my OS has been doing all he can to help me. I used ice and I have used heat. I now have a TENS unit to help me with the pain I have at my kneecap. It is really helping. I am NOT a patient person. At all. You did not do any harm waiting so long. I waited SIX years! I had three scopes for meniscus repairs and clean outs. I had cortisone shots and 5 Supartz (rooster comb) injections. Please remember this: we all START from different places. I had an accident - no arthritis until that occurrence - then reactive arthritis. I had some necrosis of my tibia. During the TKR, the OS spent part of the time picking out bone fragments. Someone that recovers faster may have had less trauma in their knee than you did. The strenght will come back. Our muscles atrophy from lack of use while we baby our poor, painful knees. Let the soft tissues heal, then start working on strenght training. If you continue to have pain that you feel is not normal, ask your OS. If he/she doesn't satisfy you, then get a second opinion - BUT - it is too early. You have had muscles, tendons, and fat layers cut. The incision you see on the knee, is only a small part of the incisions made in your knee. There are layers of stitches. I do wish you some peace in your recovery. I understand having pain that doesn't feel "right" and wanting to get back to life. You are in my prayers.

I think you need to show your Darling a YouTube video of the surgery and let him really know what you are going through! I found a "dry" surgery (just the skeleton) and my husband and daughter watched it and had a greater appreciation for my recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I came home from hosp 7 weeks ago yesterday from my LTKR. As we've been discussing , the pain and numbness were a major factor, the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness took over and my emotions were all over the place.
Yesterday I went to physical therapy, almost cancelled it...really had to force myself to get in the car and go. Told my therapist it was a bad day and I didn't want to do much...with that she was so kind and understanding. How about we start on the bike just for 5 mins and see how you are she says... Well 5 turned into 15 and my head said ok got thru that, let's try another...we'd been working on balance and some strength so I went and got my soft blue mat and started doing a few toe raises...she looked and asked if I was ok...if I was sure...I said I'd try...we talked while I did the toe raises, about anything but my knee. She then asked if I was done? I said what else you got?...how about church pews? Can you give me five she said...we talked, 5 led to 30. Enough ?? She asked... I can probably do one more of something..so we did step ups...10 she said...30 later I needed some water but I never felt better. We ended on the table, a few quad stretches and the wonderful scar massage, ended wt icing for 10 mins and again talkeing the whole time... M point is, I had the best therapy session to date when I had no desire to leave my bed...I came home and rested but didn't need a pain pill until about 10pm. Ate more last night for dinner than I'd had in a week and woke up this morning feeling like the walls aren't closing in. I am stronger today than yesterday and look forward to tomorrow when I can go back and thank her. I think having the right therapist who gently guides, not pushes...who listens to your complaints and literally understands, who is as excited just as much as you are when you give her 2 extra of anything she asks. I went in with an attitude of I'm done with this ****... I'll just curl up and cry, and I left with more hope and more strength than I've had in 7 weeks. I'm by no means close to recovery but she has shown me that I CAN recover, and I WILL recover. How dedicated she is to her craft and I sometimes think that makes such a huge difference in attitude and seeing there is end in sight. Yesterday was a very good day. I had to share...and I haven't even reached for my pain meds yet this morning. ( It's early tho tho lol). Today I'm not going to lay around watching tv, today I'm going to go get my nails done...today I see hope. And praying you all do too...
 
I am so happy to read your post this morning. We all have those dark days. Just keep plugging along.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom