Guest viewing is limited

TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Taking daily..(Norco 10-325 is what the bottle says.),he also prescribed 2000mg vitamin C per Day, Celebrex 2x per day (for 3 months) for inflammation and a full strength aspirin 2x per day. I am Taking laxatives and stool softners Max dose every day with very little relief although I'm not eating much due to lack of appetite from the pain. Yogurt and prunes to help as well.
 
Hi @KarriB... I'm only an hour north of Pittsburgh... The Hermitage/Sharon ... ( Shenango Valley ) area. We're in Pitts quite often...die hard Steeler fans and of course The Rivers probably has most of our retirement by now lol....
I'm very familiar with the Wexford/ Cranberry area as my step-sons ex lives there and she's more the daughter I never had so I visit often for lunch, dinners, shopping etc... Just love that area. Did you have your knee done at Presby or ???
 
I'm in the Baden/Economy area, just 10 minutes away from Cranberry. My surgery was at Passavant in the North Hills. I teach with someone whose family is in Hermitage. I'm actually headed to Cranberry then Grove City this afternoon, although that's not what you want to hear being stuck at home for now. I remember that feeling of everyone getting on with their life but me. This will pass, hopefully in time for Pirate season! That was one of my goals in getting my knee done, going to Pirate games!
 
I'm familiar wt that area as well...it's a small world...are you heading to the outlets? Or Primantis? ... You're so right, I haven't left my bed yet and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever leave the house again... It was supposed to still be cold and snowy and I wouldn't feel so bad being inside...instead we have 70's and sunny...who knew??! My husband has been on the golf course every day this week... My goal is A week in Mexico with some friends in May...we went last year to an all inclusive and I had so much pain in my knee I couldn't enjoy much of anything... I just want to be able to walk on the beach again in this life! Go Bucs! That's another thing I passed on last year, they'd go to PNC and we'd stay at Bettis's and watch on TV...I couldn't bear the thought of the walk over and then the search to our seats... This year I plan on making up for everything I've missed not being able to walk wtout pain for the last many years!! Enjoy your day, I'm just a little envious haha...
 
Jolly good @bsassy - thank you

My comments in bold
Straight leg raises 10-15 reps 2x per day - a tip: once you can do SLRs you don't need to do them any more!
Heel slides 20 reps 2x per day - there is little to be gained by doing these in two intense sessions. Read this Heel slides and how to do them.
Knee bends 5-10 1x per day - you're already doing a flexion exercise, you don't need two of them!

Tip toes.. 50 of them - a very punishing exercise and so many! I strongly suggest you don't do any more of these

Side slides 15 2xper day, Kick backs 10-15 1xper day/ with band 1xday - for what purpose? These are pointless exercises for a knee and certainly never with a Theraband

Exercise bike 3-5 minutes 1xper day - okay

My assessment (as always) is that you are doing way too much exercise. I am of the opinion that all this frenetic exercising is unnecessary and causes more harm than good. In fact, I think it's much more likely to cause poor progress in ROM than otherwise. I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how much exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!

The Norco 10.75mg is prescribed 1 tab every 4 hours as needed for pain. He first gave me Percocet equivalent dose every 4 hours but that did not touch the pain and made me nothing but groggy, hence the Norco.
And do these work?
 
My friend and I went to Rachel's Roadhouse for lunch, then to the outlets. We found some good deals and it was warm enough to just wear a sweatshirt.
You're just a month into recovery and will soon start to see a a difference in your energy, pain levels and swelling. Keep icing and elevating, it's supposed to be rainy next week, perfect for staying in the house and dozing!
 
Thank you @Josephine... I wondered if maybe I was doing too much but this is the regimine the home PT's set up for me. I do still struggle getting started on the straight leg lifts ... Once I have a few in they get easier but the knee cap pain is still pretty intense... And the outside of my leg pretty tight and numb. I know we all heal differently and I'll rest easier just knowing this is normal and not be so impatient. Have read many posts today and everyone seems to have their own struggles. Thanks for the help and encouragement you provide. And yes the Norco do take the edge off, much more so than the Percocet...Will mention Tramadol to my OS when I see him Monday.
 
@KarriB ... Sounds like a great day you had... We go to Rachel's quite often..I love the atmosphere there...although Sunday's in the summer is usually biker day and harder to get a seat... Went out on my deck and sat for a bit this afternoon just to get some fresh air... I sure hope you're right abut starting to see some improvement soon... I feel like I should be doing more and everyone is telling me I'm doing too much....geez...!! Thanks for the encouragement...so glad you enjoyed your Saturday!
 
I know you will be sick of hearing it. But it's early days, major surgery, be kind to yourself. Sitting out in the fresh air (elevating) sounds perfect!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sleepilu thanks for the encouragement... Is it early days?? I feel like a whole month and I'm going backwards... Seems all I do is take a pain pill and sleep, wake up, take another pain pill and so it goes. I just woke from a sound sleep in the bed ( not the recliner for a change) as its 4:40am...since it's my left knee, I have a tendency to want to turn my knee/leg out as I lay down or elevate it...it was flopped to the side when I woke and now as I lay here trying to stay calm it's just throbbing around my kneecap area. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and focused, before I fell asleep I told myself not to worry, I'll be starting out patient PT soon and they will help me regain the feeling and show me what I'm doing wrong. I'm so discouraged and all consumed by this, I don't remember any of this kind of pain with my last one. My husband can't understand why I'm not my usual cheerful self, he tries so hard to be supportive and patient while I go into meltdown mode. I play the what if game in my head constantly. Oh my , I didn't mean to go on like this but I'll take any encouragement or words of wisdom you have to offer. I thank you so very much for listening to this one scared cookie here. I trust you are in the end stages of healing well and having your life back again...I'm hoping six months from now I'll be the one sending encouraging notes!! Tnx again for taking the time...have a wonderful Sunday :)
 
Is it early days?? I feel like a whole month and I'm going backwards... Seems all I do is take a pain pill and sleep, wake up, take another pain pill and so it goes.
Yes, it is still early days. You are where you need to be right now. Recovery takes a full year and you're doing what you should be doing for this stage of recovery.

In addition, at only a month out, you're still right in the days when your tissues are still wounded and angry. It's a hard time, because (as you know so well) you feel as if you should be a whole lot better, but you aren't yet. We sometimes call these the Dark Days of recovery.

I'll be starting out patient PT soon and they will help me regain the feeling and show me what I'm doing wrong. I'm so discouraged and all consumed by this, I don't remember any of this kind of pain with my last one. My husband can't understand why I'm not my usual cheerful self, he tries so hard to be supportive and patient while I go into meltdown mode.
You aren't doing anything wrong. Just ease off the exercises, as Josephine advised you and let your knee heal. that should help reduce some of your pain, too. Don't be misled into doing too much exercise when you do start out patient PT, either, because you don't have to work hard to rehab a TKR.

The feeling should gradually come back into that numb area of your knee, although it can sometimes take ages. I gave you this article before, but I'll post it again for you:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

Do you remember reading this article from the reading list you were given?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
That's what is happening to you now. This surgery takes a lot out of you. Most of your energy is being directed towards healing your knee and your emotions are all over the place. Sudden tears and anger are all part of the deal unfortunately, but it will pass. Hang in there. You'll feel a lot better in a few more weeks.

The funny thing about the pain we feel after a TKR is that, like childbirth, we tend to forget a lot of it once it has passed. That could be why you don't remember your first knee hurting so much. It could also be because this second knee was in a worse state before surgery than your first one was. No two knee recoveries are ever exactly the same, even for people who have both knees done at once.

It's normal to worry, but try not to let the worry get on top of you. You're doing OK.
 
Marcy, at least you are wearing make up! I only put make up on for my check up appointment! The rest of the days it was a shower and pj pants! TKR surgery introduced me to the wondrous world of pj pants. I had never owned a pair, now I come home from teaching and immediately put on a pair. I'm retiring in June and keep thinking I may need more pj pants in my retirement!
Seriously though, it was right around the month mark that I threw some chicken in a crock pot and "cooked" for the first time. I just tried to embrace the sleepiness, fuzziness and napped whenever possible. Keep thinking of that trip to Mexico!
 
but this is the regimen the home PT's set up for me.
I know but here's no law that says you have to follow it. Be your own man(!) and say no!
And yes the Norco do take the edge off
It should do more than take the edge off.
Is it early days?? I feel like a whole month and I'm going backwards
Four weeks? You betcha! This part of the recovery can take 8-10 weeks. It's a marathong not a sprint, so pace yourself!
Seems all I do is take a pain pill and sleep, wake up, take another pain pill and so it goes.
That's exactly what you're supposed to be doing! Did you not read the recovery articles? It sounds to me very much like you never did.
I'll be starting out patient PT soon and they will help me regain the feeling and show me what I'm doing wrong.
You're not doing anything wrong but you will be if you let the PTs give you another boot camp regime! I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
 
@Josephine, I have definitely backed off the intense exercises and I do realize I am in charge of my own healing...I'm sure that is why I'm trying to rush it as I'm not a patient person.

I would hate to not have the Norco, in the hospital I had Dilauded in IV every two hours and Percocet every 4, my nurses were very good with pain management and the Norco is relief from the pain, not the numbness and kneecap pain when I exercised ,I plan on mentioning that to my OS tomorrow at my first post op appt.

I DID read your recovery articles and understand the path...again my impatience and paranoia play into it.

I do appreciate your encouragement, I have to slow down and learn to take one day at a time, to quit pushing and quit trying to please everyone around me. My husband keeps telling me I'm NOT everyone else and 3-6 months is ridiculous, that I need to start getting out and doing more ... I replied when I get out and start doing more I won't be in any hurry to come home...as a physician he tells me he sees these all the time and most people just enjoy the attention...Then admits he's just trying to encourage me...yes this stage is the darkest so far.
 
@bsassy Just my opinion, but at barely one month, you are still in very early days and need to heal a lot yet. While I don't remember every detail of my recovery, I remember being in a lot of pain still at one month. People that take longer to heal are not doing it for the attention, and I think your husband needs a reality check. I'd hate to go to a physician with that little empathy, quite frankly. So, you go at your pace, and don't let your husband, or anyone else, tell you what your pace should be! The only one (or thing) that should dictate your recovery pace is your knee. Period. I understand the impatience, I think it's a sign of healing. We go from feeling so ill we only want to sleep, to feeling a little better, then come to a point of crankiness because we are just ill enough to feel icky, but well enough to be tired of the whole thing, then total impatience with the slow healing process, etc. This is a time for you to focus more on yourself; all the others around you need to be thinking of how to help and please you. Take care and take things one day at a time and at your own pace.
 
My husband keeps telling me I'm NOT everyone else and 3-6 months is ridiculous, that I need to start getting out and doing more
Try this
[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<
 
@KarriB... Haha you are so right about the Jammie pants... I ,too, have lived in them since I came home... Gotta love jammies and sweatpants, sweatshirts. Don't get me wrong on the make-up. It's not an every day thing at all any more, only if I know I'm getting company or if I need to be seen in public such as for my follow up X-ray and GP visit... Otherwise I avoid the mirror and don't really care much if there's bed head hair or lipstick...

I made the salad last night, felt that was a big accomplishment, other than that, the cooking has been by good friends dropping things off or pizza delivery on speed dial... I think this week I'll tackle the crockpot and see what I can concoct ....

Good for you and CONGRATS on your retirement.... Teaching is ( can be) such a rewarding career...3 of my dear friends are teachers...in fact my bestie retired 2years ago and still goes in almost every day and subs... I retired a while back after 25 years in the dental field... I managed a dental office, did chairside assisting, lab work and front desk... I loved my patients, hated my boss! He was a frustrated old bachelor who wouldn't grow with the times...

Happiest day of my life when I pulled out of my office building...never looked back! I hope you adjust and enjoy it to the fullest while you're still young enough... Hey with our new knees we can conquer anything right!?? Including days spent in pyjama bottoms from morning to night :) :).

The husband just put in a frozen pizza... I may need to pass on tonight's dinner.... I can't believe he can even look at another pizza....ugh! Have a good week...I'm anxious for tomorrow to see my OS for the first time since surgery....lets hope I'm on track!! Don't forget your green on Thursday, isn't everyone Irish at least one day a year?? :)
 
@lovetocookandsew Oh how right you are! You hit the nail on the head with everything you said... I think , honestly, I've been so cranky that he's just had enough... It's hard to take into consideration that one's constant whining can wear others down as well. Your explanation of impatience is exactly what I'm feeling...couldn't have said it an better!! Thanks for the encouragement and affirmation!! :)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom