TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

Thank you @bsassy that puts my mind at rest. Its so much better to sit or lay comfy.
Me & my partner Mike both read threads on here from the start, I'm sure it has helped him understand what we are all going through & has been my rock.
 
Wow @suemegane that's a great partner you have there! Reading the threads should help him really empathize with you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I may need a little reassurance here today, doing fairly well getting around with my cane etc...

Have been spending most days resting, sleeping, icing and minimal PT so as not to aggravate anything... I'll be 5 weeks post-op on Friday. Today I have an appt at noon that I made way before my surgery, I really can't cancel it as it takes another 6-8 weeks to get back in.

This will be my first outing alone... I'll be driving about 15 miles, I plan on taking my pain med right before I leave, ( the appt will be 2-21/2 hours ) ... Once I'm there I know there will people around to help but my nerves are kicking in as in what if I fall, what if I can't keep my knee bent for the allotted time, I should be able to get up and walk around but most of the time it's sitting...

How long before everyone else drove? My TK is my left so driving wt my right is no prob other than in and out of car, I practiced last night and I've rode as a passenger and got in and out myself wt no help...

I feel a little shaky since I haven't really done much but go from chair to couch to bed etc..., I refuse to let this consume me but just wondering if anyone else had any probs on your first outing alone?? I did ask my OS if I cld drive and his answer was you do what you feel you can do.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?? Thanks
 
Good morning! My TKR was my right one, so it was much different. I can relate that I felt nervous the first time driving after not driving for so long. I am usually the driver as my husband loves to read on trips. Perhaps leave a little early and just drive around your neighborhood to get comfortable before hitting the main streets? Take your cane with you and take your time walking. Walk purposely and you will be fine. As far as sitting, many of us go to work and sit at a desk for hours. During your appointment, perhaps you can get up and walk around just periodically? If you can't, try to at least kick your foot out and raise it up and down if you can (I remember you had trouble with the straight leg lifts) - any movement will help pump some of the fluid in the knee. I am sure the people at your appointments will be very happy to help you in any way they can. Enjoy this little bit of independence! I LOVED when I could drive again!! It was almost 2 months before I did.
 
@Timetolive .. Good morning! That is just what I needed to read to get my confidence back up... I was fine last night but this morning reality set back in... I guess I just needed to hear that I'm not feeling anything others haven't.

My ankle pumps will be in full force and I'll definitely take a few breaks if possible.... My straight leg raises are getting easier , I've just got to get my confidence back!

I got a new vehicle a month before surgery so I'm missing driving it...back in the saddle... I got this!

I'm very lucky that I haven't had to go out before now...thanks for the boost!
 
Made it! First time in 5 weeks behind the wheel and it sure felt good. The sun shining in and people moving about.. I may be back in the land of the living after all. Although I sure am ready for some ice and a nap !
 
I'm glad your appointment went well. Rest up for the remainder of the day, because you'll probably be very tired.
 
I always felt better after a dr appointment when we would stop for lunch or breakfast. I felt like part of the world again! I did make sure to elevate while we ate by sitting in a booth and putting my right leg up on the seat. Glad it was a good day!
 
Oh boy... When you think you're superwoman and you're not! Had appts Wednesday and Thursday that required my knee to not to be elevated and again last night we went to a St Pattys day party.

Although I did elevate at dinner and the party, I woke up to the worst tightness and burning ... It's definitely swollen more.

I'm 5 weeks post op today and getting around well, driving and barely using my cane..,,until today.

I iced all night and plan on icing and elevating all weekend.

Did anyone else try to get in a hurry and rush when they thought they were doing well? Hoping no permanent setbacks.., yikes :(.

Thanks all
 
Did anyone else try to get in a hurry and rush when they thought they were doing well? Hoping no permanent setbacks.., yikes :(.
I think about 99.9999% of us were in a hurry to regain our normalcy that we craved so much.

With that in mind, you just joined a club that, again, 99.9999% of us are dues-paying members---the ODIC, which stands for the Over Did It Club. The dues are paid with pain and frustration.

I can assure you that you did nothing permanent to your knee---those implants are tough little booger---but, at five weeks, you still have quite a long way to go, and patience is the virtue most needed.
I iced all night and plan on icing and elevating all weekend.
Wise---very wise.

As for me and overdoing things, well, let me say that the learning curve was a rather lengthy one for me...

Remember how long a TKR recovery can take---and you are just five weeks out---driving and such is one of the little steps in normalcy---something that we crave. I can pretty much guarantee you that, at this time next year, you will not be having these issues.

Just a case of too much, too soon for your surgical knee---and it will calm down.
 
Did anyone else try to get in a hurry and rush when they thought they were doing well? Hoping no permanent setbacks.., yikes :(.
Oh yes!
I am beginning to feel like a big sister wagging a finger ....
I think you have to overdo it in order to know where your limits are.
BUT 5 weeks? Come on, be kinder to yourself.
 
Welcome to the ODIC!

We've all been there and suffered for it. You can be reassured, though, that you won't have done any permanent damage. It may take a couple of days of increased resting, icing and elevating, but your knee will return to its former state.

Do try not to make a habit of overdoing, though, just in case you increase the risk of getting a chronic inflammation and swelling.
 
I'm 6 weeks post op LTKR as of this coming Friday. I am doing fairly well or at least I thought I was.

I started outpatient therapy yesterday. Everything went well. We did heel slides, 2 sets of 10. Straight Leg raises 2 sets of 10. A rolled towel under my knee and short kicks 2 sets of 10. I rode the bike ( the kind that the pedals are in front of you not the normal exercise bike) for 4 minutes and made it all the way around from the start. Finished with 15 mins on the tens machine.

I can not move today! I am so sore and stretched. Everything burns and my kneecap are throbs. My chin is tender and down the side of my leg is throbbing like a tooth ache.

I had been doing some of these same exercises at home but I must not have been doing enough.

I've had to increase the pain pills back to every 4 hrs as prescribed, I'd been able to go 8-10 hours without them before today.

My question is did anyone else experience this once they started PT at 6 weeks out? I felt I was getting stronger but it seems I'm back to being a weakling baby.
They have me coming back 3x per week. Granted, they are very gentle, non forceful and only want me to do what I feel I can do... I felt like I could do all they asked of me and more but today I'm not so sure, I haven't been out of bed yet.

Is there something wrong wt my knew knee that it hurts this bad this long after surgery? I'm so worn out by all this and the worrying that goes with it.

Thanks for any re-assurance or advice.
 
While it doesn't sound like a lot, it's obviously more than you are used to at this point. Rest it a day and cut back at next appointment is what I'd do. My PT says if you have swelling or more pain by next day, it was too much.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Why so much PT? You don't HAVE to go 3x/week. You COULD, for example, call them up and say, "I can only make it to PT twice a week, so please reschedule my appointments." You are the boss here, and you don't need to work that hard to have a great recovery.
 
My PT wanted me to do three times a week, but I said two times a week was all I could come. I did some gentle exercises at home in between, or just let my knee rest. If your knee still hurts so much tomorrow, I would call them and tell them it is still tender and swollen from the previous session and you would prefer to wait until Friday to come.
 
Ditto. PT wanted me 3x/week but I refused and would only agree to 2.
Absolutely exhausting as it is, you don't want to impede your recovery because of exhaustion and swelling.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom