TKR Numbness and kneecap pain<<

My best friend had a TKR two years before I did. I had never had surgery, while she has had a dozen or more. But I was that individual pushing my friend to get out, do more, go shopping! She would just cry...boy did I feel bad after my TKR, realizing the exhaustion and pain involved. I have apologized many times over.
 
@bsassy, would you be a dear and break your posts up into paragraphs? I've edited a couple hoping you would notice but thought I'd just ask instead! Thanks.
 
Well, I'm getting old, you know - it just makes things easier for me to read!

[Bonesmart.org] Numbness and kneecap pain<<
 
Hi @bsassy! Just caught up on your thread and hopefully I can reassure you that the feeling being numb and tight at the knee cap is to be expected.
Your ROM is excellent so give yourself a break and pull back on the exercises.
During the 1st 4 weeks I can remember telling my PT that my incision felt like it was going to explode when I did the ROM exercises and then it would feel even tighter and more swollen afterwards.
I had PT the first month and then opted not to do outpatient PT. I was still taking my pain medication regularly and nights were the worst for that deep horrible ache in the thigh.
You are doing great and sounds as if your recovery is going well. I am almost 4.5 months post op and I am still quite numb but happy to say that pressure from internal swelling probably went away at about 8-10 weeks.
Hopes this helps some.

BTW I am having my 2nd knee done in 2 weeks and the other knee is now my strong leg and pretty much pain free!!
Can't believe I have to go thru this again and after reading your thread it reminded me the recovery is an exercise in patience.
 
I noticed in your thread @bsassy about not letting the leg/knee turn out. I have done that since my op in Nov as it was very comfy. My PT never said anything to me. I was wondering if that is why I have had so much stiffness & problems with ROM. Any advice would be welcomed
 
Hi @suemegane ... I'm only 4+ weeks out on my left knee so I'm no expert but when I did ask my PT she told me that laying or sitting with the knee bent is something we don't want to do, the reason being it DOES make it harder, especially in the morning, to straighten completely and hinders the ROM due to being in that position and making it tighten up. When I mentioned it elsewhere on the thread I was told it shouldn't make a difference, but on me, I notice it right away. It's like instant relief to bend it out but boy paying for it when getting up or going back in the straight position is a little rough. I'm seeing my OS this morning and that's on my list of questions...will keep you posted if he has a direct answer. Isn't this all just so overwhelming?! Ugh!
 
@Glamg1979 ... Thank you!!!! Yours was the encouragement I needed to read especially at 4am as I'm trying to hold back the meltdown of never being normal again.

I see my OS this morning for the first time since my surgery. I know my post op xray was normal , my leg doesn't look swollen but it sure is hot to the touch and quite weak. It's so good to hear from someone that had the same issues and is doing so well. I'll be as patient as I can as long as the end result is a pain free normal walk.

Good luck with your second one... I'm so sorry you have to go thru it again so soon. I waited 8 years so everything has changed and I think my selective memory has chose to forget everything from the past one.

Even now I can hear my moms voice ... Her famous line was "have a little patience my child" ... Guess that's my downfall. I want it healed and I want it healed yesterday lol ...

Thanks for taking the time to send the encouragement and time frame as a guide! It's so appreciated.

Will send nothing but good thoughts your way as you get ready for your other one to be done.
 
Well I saw my OS this morning for the first time since the LTKR.

He didn't have much to say, checked the scar, told me it looked purple because of the blood flowing to that area to heal. Said it wasn't swollen too bad and looked like it was healing good. I asked him about the intense pain in the kneecap area when I do my therapy exercises....he explained that my real knee was so bad before the surgery that area is bound to be tender but more than anything to start strengthening my quads. I'm wondering how I'm ever going to get them strengthened when the pain sends me into another planet....

He told me most people aren't really happy until they are about 6 months into it...that after the first 3 months we aren't regretting doing it, but wait until a year is up and we'll be thrilled.

I sure hope he's right, he told me I was compensating my walking and muscles by waiting so long to have it replaced, that I was walking all sorts of odd ways to make it bearable for me... Let that be a lesson for others perhaps...if you think it's time, it's time! I let mine go probably 5 years too long his nurse told me.

He brought up the numbness down the side wtout me mentioning it...told me it would slowly come back which I was glad for the reassurance!

I need to call outpatient therapy and schedule, he has on the Rx anywhere between 1 to 3x per week.... Does anyone have any suggestions on how often I should go?? I know you can over-do and I don't want to end up in pain so bad that I'm hindering my rehab...

Thanks in advance for all the help and support!
 
Twice a week should be enough.
Do start very gently with strengthening exercises, because we usually recommend not beginning them until about three months.
 
I only went once a week from 5 weeks & did exercising at my own pace on the other days....be careful not to overdo it otherwise you will be in the ODIC (over done it club) & that is not a good place to be.
I still have the numbness on the outside of my knee, but it has got alittle better & as i started getting abit more active it really doesn't bother me.
I am at 4 months & now glad that I have had it done...at 4 weeks I wasn't sure if I had done the right thing. It will get better once you are past the 6-8 week mark.
 
Go with Celle's suggestion. Twice a week will give you 5 off days to rest that soft angry tissue. I'm glad your appt went well.
 
It sounds like your surgeon was a regular chatterbox compared to some! That's good, as you should feel comfort in knowing that everything you are currently experiencing is quite typical. I had similar kneecap pain after both TKR's, know it well, and received the same advice from my OS. Strengthening the quad absolutely DOES help, but doing so will be a gradual process this early in your recovery. I would sit in bed with a straight leg and "tighten" my quad while pushing the back of my knee into the mattress. Starting with your old knee first will help your new knee get the idea. Follow a few of these with a few straight leg raises, and the straight leg raises won't seem so difficult. After that I'd stand up and concentrate on tightening my quad with each step. It's not easy!
 
@Clipless ... Thanks for the tips... I've been doing the straight leg lifts but dear Lord the pain...I can get to maybe 5 and that's it...I know it's going to be a process, it's just good to know that I'm not alone.
Haha...my OS a chatterbox..not so much.... He was 40 mins late into the room, locked up the computer system and had to have the office girls come to fix it... I think he may have had a little bit of guilt so he answered my questions...usually a man of few words...aren't they all:). Thanks for the encouragement as well!
 
Your husband maybe thinks you have connected with a bunch of cranks on a bogus website? Rather than a group of very experienced, empathetic, strong, brave individuals?

I'm 3 and a half months out and nowhere near reaching the stage of being glad I had it done!

Still very much a day at a time. I cancelled plans this weekend because I just felt too tender and tired. Annoying but necessary.

Be a patient patient.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @sleepilu , I think you're right...I finally showed him some of the threads and I think he gets it now...I know it's tough to live with someone whose consumed with pain and fearful life won't be normal ever again...he has apologized on several occasions and is still bringing me my ice, yogurt and coffee every morning before he leaves for work.

We're our own worst enemies at this point. You're 3 1/2mos. out ... I do hope you've had some improvement.

You betcha, one day at a time...it's just that we don't want to take the time...this is where I wish I had a magic wand for all of us.

Positive thoughts to you!
 
@suemegane i saw my OS this morning and specifically asked him about turning the leg out or having the knee bent and about what the PT said. He told me that makes no difference at all and it should feel better that way so go ahead and sit or lay that way. I was relieved to hear that as it is much more comfy.

Hope that eases your mind.
 
I've been doing the straight leg lifts but dear Lord the pain...I can get to maybe 5 and that's it...I know it's going to be a process, it's just good to know that I'm not alone.
Do you remember this, from the BoneSmart mantras?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
So, stop doing those straight leg lifts. in any case, once you can do them, you don't need to do them any more.

None of the exercises you do should hurt you like that. Discomfort is OK, but pain is definitely out. Pain shows that you are doing too much and those poor, wounded soft tissues are telling you to stop. Pushing through the pain is counter-productive. It irritates those healing tissues and makes them inflamed and swollen, and you don't want that.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain

You don't have to do lot of exercise to rehab a knee. Just a little, gentle exercise is all you need.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
 
Hey! 5 leg lifts are a lot! I think I did about two at the 4 week mark, but I was pretty sedentary for about a year before the surgery due to the pain.
I walked very wonky before and I found my thigh muscles were very tight for well over the first month post-op. Felt like a burning pain at rest.
If the leg lifts are hurting you just do the heel slides and give yourself more time.

Don't let your PT push you to do anything!
You are the boss and they are working for you. I made it loud and clear with home therapist that he better not hurt me and he was very gentle.

Thanks for the well wishes, pre-open testing tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom