TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. And I love your innovation of using those outside stairs! That's neat!
 
Hi Margaret
You are doing great with your recovery and I totally agree with Randi's post - we all progress at different rates and achieve our goals at different times. I learnt that early on in my first few weeks and I must confess I too got a little depressed at my progress but I tried to keep a balanced view on it (easier said, I know).

I say well done to you for walking DOWN a slope - I am still a little scared of walking down anything yet. Your quads are obviously firing up! Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks everybody. Jo, yes quads are firing but very weakly. Going down was very slow and tiny baby steps, with hiking poles for support (probably more psychological!).
 
Sounds like you're doing great!
 
Margaret, love the smiley face on your thumbnail, very innovative!!:biggrin:

Also going downhill certainly means something different in your case, its great that you are managing steps and walking on inclines, shows how good your recovery actually is. Be proud of yourself, you are doing great! :yay:
 
love the smiley face on your thumbnail, very innovative!!:biggrin:

Thanks Andrea. Smiley face was done with lipstick. Hubbie wanted to use permanent marker pen......:hissyfit:
 
Hi Margaret,
Just read your thread from start to finish, and I feel so much better about the rubber band tightness I am experiencing.
Nobody said that recovery from TKR was going to be easy, and everybody recovers at a different pace.
Just when you think you are doing well another obstacle is put in your way. I had a fantastic day yesterday, today is a different story, so much pain and discomfort, mainly due to the 'rubber band tightness', extra painkillers were needed and cotton wool in my husbands' ears required. :biggrin: I was whinging quite a lot.
This particular thread has eased my concerns, thank you to all you lovely folk for the informative and helpful information.
Margaret you live in a wonderful part of the world, we visited in 2008, and are on our way back to NZ in October for another visit.
Keep well.
 
Glad I helped you with my progress reports.

Today I'm gettng really angry with my knee!! Its just being stiff and swelling. Been like this for a few days. GRRRR....I'm sitting at my desk with my whole leg elevated on a stool with pillows on top. If I keep it straight like this, its really stiff when I put it down. If I keep it down and bent knee, it hurts to straighten the knee and then put weight on it. Tight rubber band revisited, across back of knee. And the blinking quads just won't stop hurting when I try to use them to lift my leg. Also been getting lots of little electric shocks through knee and above and below. I did post most of this stuff on Sunday, but it got lost, so thought I'd better put in on again, especially as its not gone away. I see physio tomorrow.

Surgeon did ring me on Sunday evening. He was just checking how I was. Wasn't that nice of him, made me feel special. He said some people do recover slower and unfortunately I'm one of them. I asked if I should go and see him sooner than my late May appointment, and he said May will be fine, but keep in touch if I'm concerned. I can't just pop in to see him as he's 1600km away.
 
Sorry you're going through a tough period. How about sitting with your knee not quite so straight ? I know it sounds piddly but I found that if I kept mine too straight it would stiffen, if I bent it slightly it was better...I dunno if that would help but maybe...:scratch: Thinking good thoughts for better days ahead!
 
Thanks Randi. When my knee's up under my desk, its not quite straight and it supported. Seems that it stiffens or hurts no matter what I do with it. I've just ridden the exercycle for 15 mins, freed up for a short while and bingo stiffened again. Seeing physio later this afternoon. I can feel it swollen at the back, and I can feel the muscles and ligaments tight, so I'm hoping she can free all of those.
 
Curious -are you still icing ? Would that help ?
 
Hi Randi, Oh yes, still icing sometimes twice during the day and twice during the night. I still have the chilly bag with the blue jelly icepacks next to my bed.
 
Just got back from physio. Bad news is ROM hasn't improved, still 105. :hissyfit:. Extension is ok, almost 0 but muscles and ligaments trying to go back to where they think they should be at greater than +10, which is why they're tensing up. She massaged the back of my leg, particularly towards the outside where she said it was knotted for 6 inches above and below the knee. Still can't straight leg raise, but she said she could definitely see an improvement from when she last saw me. She said there's something funny going on with my walking, not a limp exactly but something from the hip, so a new exercise to improve the bum muscles. She picked up that calf muscle has shrunk, so an exercise for that. She said exercises only need to be once a day and some days not at all if I don't feel like it as daily living will be taking over now.

Now the good news - I walked up and down the stairs all by myself, foot over foot, NO HANDRAIL, NO CRUTCHES. :yahoo: Was a bit jerky with my TKR knee, but nevertheless I DID IT......
 
Extension is ok, almost 0 but muscles and ligaments trying to go back to where they think they should be at greater than +10, which is why they're tensing up.
Ah! That's why gentle but constant stretching is needed.
 
Hi Margaret
Well done on the stairs, it is great to be able go down - well done!! Keep your chin up about the quads , I'm sure they will get going soon. Keep up the good work.
 
Congratulations on the stairs! Take heart, You are making progress and with the exercises the rest will.follow....
 
Hi Margaret
Big congratulations on the stairs! You are getting there, just not as quickly as you would like.

My nephew has just emigrated to New Zealand and is marrying a New Zealander in Auckland in August. I have been thinking about making the trip but waiting to see how my knee is improving. I think I should maybe just book it and trust both knees will enjoy the holiday!
 
Well done going up and down stairs,:yay: can't wait until I can go down, doing well going up without stick now.:yes 4:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom