TKR Now two years post op and still recovering from nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have gone backwards these past few days. I think ROM has dropped back a bit as I can't get in the car too easy and stairs are jerky and I keep hold of the handrail and seem to be hoisting myself up again.

Bigger worry, are the pains in calf just below knee on outside of leg, not just achy pains but quite acute when I move my leg. They've been there on and off for a while, but now more consistent. Physio tested me today to check its not coming from my back, and it isn't so thats good news. The pain feels like bone pain but physio says its muscular. She said the calf muscles that are closer to the surface (some name beginning with G) are tight, and not just where I'm complaining I have pain. So lots of stretches.
 
Margaret, Have you overdone it and your body is telling you to slow down a little? Remember in recovery you will get pains that move around. The fact that you had it check out is good so sit back and relax. Remember you need to go slow even though it does get old after a while. With this weekend coming up try to slow down and have some fun. We all need to play. Stay safe and do take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
HI Margaret,

It's the gastrock that they were talking about. It can really tight, I know from experience. if you can get PT or someone else to massage and help stretch the long calf muscles, that should help. You might also try a little heat on the calf itself, that has felt prey good for mine. My massage therapist spends quite a bit of time on the gastrock and it does seem to have stretched a bit.

I hope that is helpful and that the pain abates soon. I know exactly how you feel, hang in there!!

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn, thats exactly it Gastrock and yep she massaged the calf muscles for 20 minutes and then heat for 15 minutes. I've had heat on it this evening as well. I think its been getting worse for about 3 weeks but I've been ignoring it hoping it'd go away, but didn't!
 
Hi Margaret
Setbacks are always hard but it looks like your Physio has it under control now. I'm sure you will be doing more trail walking soon!
 
I get that pain Margaret. It's what stops me on stairs. Almost feels like something is out of place?! Physio told me I need to work on strengthening muscles. I go to bed with ice on knee and heat on alf and thigh!
 
I've been doing some reading and looking at images of the calf. Physio said Gastrock muscle is tight. But I think t he pain is coming from the peroneus longus. I think its all coming from the shortening of the muscles and ligaments pre surgery, when extension was greater than 10degrees. I guess it doesn't matter which muscle pain is coming from and I think they're next to each other in the calf, and treatment is the same?
 
At almost 16 weeks I went to work for 7 hours for the first time since surgery Only been in for 4 maximum up to now and the rest of the work I've done at home with lots of breaks. By 4pm I was tired, left at 5pm and did a 20 minute walk to try to stretch things out. Knee is no more swollen than usual, but is quite achy, stiff and sore when I move it. So here I am icing to try to settle it down. I now plan to be a couch potato for the evening.....
 
HI Margaret,

I hope you can get through the issue of tightness in the muscles. I think its something many of us deal with and it can be quite challenging. Its good that you are easing back into longer work days. I went back full force and it was a mistake.

Keep us posted and be well!

Dawn
 
Yes, the muscles can be a slow process.
 
Couch potato ? I'd say well deserved rest! Good for you for taking care of yourself !:thumb:

I'm finding at this stage that it's harder to stop and take care of myself since everybody around me seems to think I'm done recuperating ...
 
Well Randi, you are absolutely right that others think we're done with recuperating. I had to talk to my boss at work today and told him I couldn't do the 10 hour days and weekends I usually do in April and May for tax time so he'd have to be a lot more patient, help me prioritise and stop making unnecessary demands on my time. He listened and was great about it all. He even removed a couple of tasks from me onto himself. Glad I opened my mouth as its stopped me stressing (well a little anyway!).
 
Good for you Margaret! I think when we get to the 3 month mark everyone does assume we are all sorted and back to normal - if only they knew how our knee felt!!
 
Another milestone ticked off.......I had a lovely long soak in the bath. YESSSS
 
Hi, 14 months after TKR, I still experience the "tight bands" too. It worsens in direct proportion to the intensity of exercise, so I slack off for awhile, then try again. Is there anything "to do" specifically for the tight bands? Will stretching help.? Josephine's link gives a great explanation of the cause. Maybe she has a suggestion too? Thank you.
Zelda
 
Zelda I am 18 months now, and the tightness still lingers for me, really over the top of my knee upwards a little bit, but it does not in any way hinder my movement, just really makes me aware that this knee is not my natural one, and I can live with that if thats as good as its gonna get. Not sure how to make it any better, so hoping that time is the great healer it is meant to be, and patience pays off in the end, so stick with it!:friends:
 
Well done on the bath Margaret! I still haven't felt brave enough for the bath yet - it's the getting out that scares me :rolleyespink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom