Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads I look forward to my private tours :) Now, I just need to find the money!!

I had my post-op appointment today - I will post later on my thread.
 
An observation. My left knee hasn't been happy over the last week or so and I'm a bit concerned because we head out on a 3 week camping trip a week tomorrow. The PT noticed the swelling during my last (and maybe final) session with her. I did the 5K walk after seeing her, which probably didn't help because it wasn't a flat trail. She recommended using an anti-inflammatory cream and I have Voltaren in the house. Has anyone had success using that or is there another cream that might help. I've used it this week and didn't go to aquafit on Wednesday or Friday - because my knee was talking to me after my workout on Monday.

I'm wondering if I'm just more aware of my knees because some of the numbness is starting to wear off and I can actually feel something if I run my hand over the outside of both knees. I don't think it's anything to really worry about, just part of this journey - not being a straight line to complete recovery.

I've got ice packs on order to take with us but I'll be sitting a lot and not moving as we drive east. I've already told hubby that I need to walk everyday and I can do my exercises when I set up the bed at night and/or before putting it away in the morning.

Ideas, recommendations greatly appreciated.
 
I used Voltaren, and to be honest, it didn't help me at all. But, this was just recently and you know I had a lot going on with my knees. I have a friend who swears by it - so it is definitely worth trying a bit longer maybe.

Take it easy - your knee is still new and the 5k, while awesome that you did it, was the farthest it has gone so far. I'd rest and baby your knees the next few days, and work more on simple stretching and easy quad exercises, etc. and ice when you can. Once on the road, try to stop every once in awhile during your drive so you can stretch and move a bit. I have a feeling your knee will calm down and behave well for you during your trip. At least I hope so :)
 
@Threads enjoy your camping!! What do you camp in? We have a truck camper which we got last fall and now with this summer's agenda we prob won't be using it this year..... And our bed is above the cab so I really won't be able to get up that high for awhile....... 3 weeks - sounds like heaven!!!
 
@Threads
In terms of a total recovery, it's still early days for your knees, so please don't try to do too much while you are camping. Go for short walks by all means, but don't get too ambitious.

My left knee is now 8+ months old and I'm still increasing my activity gradually. I'm staying with my daughter. Her home has stairs, which mine doesn't, so I'm doing stairs much more than previously.
Also, the walk to the shops is further than my walk at home. I'm doing it, but I do need to rest my knees afterwards.
I'm hoping that, by the time I've been here a couple of months, I'll be able to ride her bike to the shops.
 
@ljrfrm - thanks for the comment about Voltaren - I'll keep it up and see if it helps in the longer term. Stairs are a bit of a challenge again - I thought I was on the road to that bring history. Just home from taking the two youngest grandchildren to see their older cousin perform Adelaide in Guys and Dolls. Our oldest granddaughter is normally a shy, quiet girl but that's not who was on the stage tonight! Fun night even though it was sitting for a long show. I did my excercises and stretches before we went out and that felt good. I'll try to head for almost every rest stop we see and get out and walk!

@iivesfam5 - we have a Volkswagen Westphalia - "Harvey" is 20 years old this year, we bought him new and is our only vehicle. He's taken to all three Canadian coasts and also to the Mexican border in Arizona. He's well travelled but is aging well. The back seat pulls out into a bed, so we don't have to climb up into a bed over a cab. The roof pops up when we're camping so we can stand up, stretch and move around our tiny living space. One of my biggest challenges after surgery was being able to climb up into the passenger seat of the van. The seat is 3' off the ground! Your camping days will come before you know it. I can't believe that I'm 6 1/2 months out of surgery! The time really flies.

@Celle - thanks for your calm voice of reason. I've been doing so well that I sometimes forget my knees. This last week has reminded me again that I'm still healing! I think what got me were the down slopes on the trail. The last time I did 5K it was totally on the flat and I didn't have the same issue. I will watch it while we're camping, we will be going through The Rockies before we get to the prairies. There are a few "hills" there ;-) I'm taking my Nordic poles with me. Have you ever used them for your walks?
 
No, I've never used Nordic poles, but I believe they're very good.
One of our members recommended Nordic walking as exercise a while ago.
 
@ljrfrm - it's a deal! You get yourself to Malta, Montana and will slip across the border and pick you up. At this point, the furthest east we plan to go is Grassland National Park which is on the southern border of Saskatchewan on the Montana border. From there you can join us on the rest of the trip and head back through the Rockies with us to Vancouver. Oh, bring your pup tent - the bed is a narrow double, so is already cosy ;-) Are you ready for an adventure?
 
ah @Threads if only life was THAT easy that we could just say sure let's go!!! Someday but not now!! Being 54 it is the crunch now to save for retirement. Even though - I must confess - that my prize for great recovery will be a trip to Hawaii!!!! We have ALWAYS wanted to go so we are splurging big time next May - so it is something luxurious to aim for...... I so need to have something that I can say look where I will be once I heal...... We are planning to fly to Hawaii and cruise around the islands for a whole week and then fly home!! There is a direct flight from JFK - New York to Honolulu...... It will cost a lot but at this point I don't really care...... Just hope when I hit that 10 month mark I will be ready!!!
 
@iivesfam5 - we're not always roughing it, we enjoy any kind of trip ;-) We celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary this year but have put off our own celebration until next May. You'll be heading west and we'll be heading east - to Europe for a river cruise. Because of the cobbled streets and the amount of walking and sightseeing we want to do, we knew this year was out for my knees. It will probably be our last major trip, so we're going to make it worthwhile. We'll cheer each other along to May, 2016!
 
@Threads is that one of those Viking cruises?? I have read about them - they look GREAT!!
 
@iivesfam5 - not Viking but similar - a different river cruise company called Scenic Tours. They offer two styles of tours - one very luxurious, the other not quite as fancy. We don't need wine flowing all day so we're going on their subsidiary Emerald Waterways and will be cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest. One of the same routes that the Viking river cruises go. We're doing our research and planning extra stays at the beginning and end. It really is something to look forward to. Your trip to Hawaii sounds wonderful, we've never been there. It's nice to have goals to get us through!
 
I have used the Voltaren and it did nothing for me. I tried it for several days putting it on a few times per day. It did not help with the pain at all. The compression stockings worked better for me which I plan on taking with me to conference and our trip out west.

Your trip sounds wonderful, I am getting excited about our trip, hubby now tells me he wants to go to Seattle from Spokane so that should be exciting. We might even pop over to Vancouver if time allows. We really don't have to be back at any given time, as I am retired and he is leaving our son in charge of the business while we are gone. I can't wait to hear about your trip.
 
@ljrfrm - it's a deal! You get yourself to Malta, Montana and will slip across the border and pick you up. At this point, the furthest east we plan to go is Grassland National Park which is on the southern border of Saskatchewan on the Montana border. From there you can join us on the rest of the trip and head back through the Rockies with us to Vancouver. Oh, bring your pup tent - the bed is a narrow double, so is already cosy ;-) Are you ready for an adventure?
I'm ready!! I'll meet you there!! Hope I can bring my ice machine :)
 
@fiberlady Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could come up to Vancouver! We'll be back by then. I'll pm you with our phone number and personal email, so you can let me know if you make it. We can plan a wander around Granville Island, along with the thousands of other tourists, and I'll take you to my favourite textile places there. Getting to my very favourite one (Jane's) involves ferries and time :-(
 
@ljrfrm - you certainly can bring your ice machine. You'll just need to find a current bush to plug it into :loll:
I'll start working on that!!!

On a side note, my trusty ice machine had stopped working on one side - I was so sad. My husband somehow fixed it, and I'm icing away right now! Yay!! On another side note, he is outside now working on my garden. I guess I owe him!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom