Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job! I did a long beach hike too in Bermuda the other day. It was over 15,000 steps and 74 flights of stairs on my Fitbit with all the hills and climbing up the rocks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's impressive @ljrfrm! I don't have a pedometer or a Fitbit - have to add it to my wish list. I have no idea how many steps I've walked but my knees seem to be, mostly, up to the challenge. I'm totally impressed with your triumphs considering everything you've gone through this year with your knees. They seem to like the holiday mode and warm climes.

Today's challenge was a 2 1/2 km. trail that was narrow and not too well maintained. Lots of tree trunks to navigate and wobbly boardwalk when it was there. At the end of the trail was a long flight of stairs to the beach. I managed all that but wouldn't have made it onto this section of the coast (lots of different beaches to choose from) if it hadn't been for my brother. The pile of beach logs was quite high and not always secure, so the challenge that used to bring out the goat in me, brought out the chicken today. I'm not quite ready for climbing over piled logs that can roll - maybe next year ;-)

Are you home yet???
 
If you have a smartphone you can download a pedometer app for free. I got mine prior to surgery to see my work demands.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am back home and off to work this morning. I will post an update to my thread soon :) I think being a little "chicken" still is normal - and probably a good thing so you don't overdo it! I'm so happy with how much you are able to do now!!
 
All I can say is Wow! I just finished catching up on your thread, somehow I am not getting notifications again. I am so impressed with how well you are doing, you are an inspiration to others that this surgery whether you do one or both knees at a time is sooo worth it. My goal this summer was to be able to walk a few trails which I did and then get rid of the cane. Almost there. I still need to shed a few pounds, well maybe more than a few, but hopefully this time next year I will be able to walk further than I am now. Off to my loom, I have put on one of the dyed warps I did in June and about to start sampling wefts.
 
Hey ljrfrm! Happy 1st year on our BTKR! Yea. I haven't been on here in ages, but I've been doing really awesome. I feel like I've gotten my life back and most days don't think about my knees. I'm sorry you have had some set backs, but hang in there. I'll post an update on my thread. Sending you a cupcake with 2 candles in it for each knee! Happy Birthday knees! lol
 
@Legin - thanks for the tip. It was a challenge to find an app that operates on iOS 6 (I have a very "experienced" phone) but between my DH and I we found one. To late to keep track of our beach walk today, but I'll give it a test run tomorrow.
 
@ljrfrm - I can't believe you are back at work already! Thanks for giving me permission to be a "chicken". Looking forward to your update on your thread. Happy birthday to your knees!! It's hard to believe how fast the time is going.
 
@fiberlady - be kind to yourself. You had other issues and still have, that hamper your progress. You did amazingly well on your trip - I was impressed! We head home Wednesday, company leaves Thursday and life returns to normal. Hopefully I can keep up the walks, even though there isn't a beach under my bare feet ;-) The word bear is also appropriate today - we saw one tentatively thinking about coming over the dune and grass to the beach as we rested on a log, but several of us stood up to take a peak at him, and he took off before I could get a photo.
 
:martini: Hey ljrfrm just had to send you a cyber cocktail on celebrating our 1 year anniversary! Hope all is well with you, and I'm sending you lots of hugs and healing light.
 
@Threads lucky you seeing a bear!
I enjoyed your use of the word "company". We used to use it here in the way you did to denote visitors but it seems to have gone out of fashion now. People would say, " I didn't know you had company " if they called unexpectedly when there were other people there. Now the usual word heard is "visitors "but I like company - sounds cosier and friendlier. Funny how the way we use words change over time.
Your trip sounds great and :hiking: now you can do this ! Minus the backpack!
Two nights ago we were bored and went for a 3.5 miles walk. Isn't it great just to be able to do stuff! Shame you didn't get a bear photo though.
 
@SuperSnapper - I agree with the change in the use of words. I like the word company and I think I use the word visitors if it's people I'm not as close to. I'll have to ponder that one. The one that really bothers me is that here people can't seem to use the word dead or died anymore. People have "passed". I always wonder what they have passed ;-) I've dealt with death often enough to know no matter what you call it it's inevitable and trying to "pretty" up the word doesn't change it. Heck, I'm so old I still use the word "chesterfield" instead of sofa and "serviette" instead of napkin.

By the way, I was still walking with a :hiking:. Not quite as big as this chap's but one is needed to carry camera gear, water and snacks. Guess I could leave the snacks out! I used the app on my phone today as @Legin suggested, and it worked well on my last walk on the beach. We are back home, and life returns to normal after brother and SIL leave tomorrow. I'll have to up my walking though, now that I actually know how many steps are in a certain distance!
 
I agree with the "passed" use. It's another annoying euphemism. I use "serviette" too!

I have a fit bit - must dig it out and update it. My husband used a phone app for walking and loves it because it maps his walks too! Clever stuff!

Now for a boast ...

Just heard that I came third in our annual photo club exhibition with a photo of tulips! Really pleased as I'd doctored it a bit in Photoshop and was hoping the judge wouldn't notice it. Got a Highly Commended and a Commended too. Not too bad for a year when I hardly took any photos. Boasting over for today :)

The knees are crying out for a walk so here we go

big hug coming your way

Mary
 
@SuperSnapper - is it the panorama of the red and purple tulips? I love that one, the colours are so rich and I really like the angles in the photo, it adds so much interest! If not that one, do you have it in one of your albums?

Our week on the beach was wonderful - back to reality now. We've been going there for over 25 years so it has so many memories and is like wrapping a familiar, comfortable blanket around myself - miles away from the real world. I didn't take many photos - how many photos of sunset or water on the beach can you take, especially the same beaches. I did bring home some little found treasures and will play with still life photos (in water - Doug's suggestion) to see what I can get.

Now to get disciplined and make a habit of walking more in the city!
 
Yes, it was that one. I was a bit surprised by result but very pleased.

I know what you mean about photos of places you know very well. It's the same with the place we went to in Switzerland. The still life seems a good way to go. Will look forward to the photos. We've got a still life competition this season so we can compare results when I take mine.

Walking in the city is not so much fun as the beach but we have to make do. We are taking the granddaughters on a walk around a local lake tomorrow. It's about 4 1/2 miles but easy walking.

Happy photo taking

Mary
 
Ten months today my life changed for the better! This week - even though I've had the cold from @#$@ I was able to do something that I couldn't dream about a year ago now. I was able to assist with the setting up of an event space for the opening lecture of the Maiwa Textile Symposium. I helped set up chairs, move heavy tables, set up display tables, walked the waiting line selling raffle tickets and then, when the lecture was over, helped take it all down again. Last year I was bringing my own stool to the events so I could sit in the waiting line - I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes.

Also, in March we went to our daughter-in-law's gallery opening. It was held in the downtown core of the city so we used transit. I took elevators whenever possible including when we left the rapid transit station which is at the top of a "hill" going into to town. Last night we went to her studio again - I walked, didn't look for the elevator and climbled down and up all the stairs that were part of our journey. No pain, no discomfort or even any feeling that I was doing anything special. Life is good.
 
I'm glad you're doing so well, it's 11months for knee #1 & 5 months for #2 and I feel great, I even moved house this month I was tired but my knees held up great, life is good, and diffenatly worth the few weeks of discomfort :spin::dancy::egypdance:
 
@Littlelady58 - with all my bragging, I don't think I could have moved house. Now, that's impressive! I was lucking and got mine overwith in one go - so my knees get to share a birthday. I don't know if I could have done what you did and gone through it twice.
 
I've moved into a one bedroom condo, both my children now live in Vancouver, I was there the end of June, boy was it hot...I'm planning another trip in Nov to go wedding dress shopping with my daughter, I love your city, I've a feeling I will be visiting lots keep up the good recovery!
 
@Littlelady58 We were in your neck of the woods in June! We went to and fell in love with Grasslands National Park. I've been wanting to go since we did our cross country trip in 2008 and ended up having to cut things out, saying "it's close enough, we can come back". Well Grasslands was close enough but I got in less and less shape to go camping in our Westphalia and hiking. This June was my first camping trip for a few years. We also went to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park as well, but Grasslands stole my heart. It is so different from our normal, everyday vista. Probably that's the reason you like Vancouver so much! Very different from your part of the country.

We drove through Kamloops on the way home on June 26th and the temperature was 40 degrees C. Just getting away and being able to climb in and out of the van as well as do all the hiking I wanted was so wonderful. Life with new knees is the best!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom