Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads I am so happy you had a great trip. I so wish we could get away before my surgery but it just doesn't look to be in the cards. We have a friend's wedding next weekend and the following weekend we have our grandson both Saturday and Sunday..... So I guess we will just try to relax. We had our grandson overnight last night - it was so wonderful to spend time with him. So after the surgery in a few months, we will do our best to plan a few weekends close by so we can at least get some enjoyment out of our camper. The waiting for the date is not easy!! We just got home from the grocery store and whew that just stinks. I am so glad your knees cooperated at 8 mos. THAT gives me so much hope.... Thank you for sharing all your experiences!!
 
Welcome home. I'm so glad to hear your knees behaved. It's amazing that you were able to scramble over rocks and walk trails, even if you didn't climb mountains!! You've had such a great recovery :)
 
@Threads I am so glad to hear about your holiday and how well your knees behaved. The photos are great and I really liked the cemetery and wi-fi sign, made me giggle! The holiday must have meant so much more as you are now able to do the things you love.
We had a great time too and did lots of walking and swimming. I climbed hills and coped with steep slopes up and down and really enjoyed all of it. My knee behaved brilliantly. Aren't we lucky?

Big hug via the Pole and greeting to Digital Doug too xx
 
@SuperSnapper - isn't it great! I was being careful about going downhill until the wind dropped when we were on the prairies and the mosquitoes started to swarm around us. I found I could go downhill quite quickly. I guess somethings just have to be put to the test :heehee:

I wish we had brought our swimsuits - we camped one night near a hot springs, that would have been nice. However, I couldn't bring myself to rent a not pink swimsuit, so we passed on that opportunity.

Hugs back at you across the Pole! Message passed on to DD.
 
@iivesfam5 - just thought of one thing that made life easier for me. Because our van is our only vehicle, getting into it after BTKR surgery was a challenge. The seat is 3' off the ground. A friend made a stool for me that was just the right height so I could come home from rehab in our own vehicle. Have you looked at the heights/climb involved getting into your camper? It might be something you can look at prior to surgery, if you are planning a camping trip before winter.
 
@Threads what a great idea!!! Thanks! BTW loved the pictures!! You are quite the photographer!!!
 
Eight months ago right now, I was in surgery. I'm writing this to add to my own record of my personal journey and as an encouragement to others following behind on the BTKR path . One year ago, I was in pain standing for any length of time. I couldn't walk very far and my life was "smaller" because of limited mobility and fear that my right knee could give on me at any moment. It would pop out when I least expected it - making people around me nervous! I was looking forward to the surgery but was unsettled and nervous about it as well. I didn't know a single person who had had both knees done in the same surgery and that's where BoneSmart came in. I was encouraged, counseled, talked out of my nerves and had my hand virtually held throughout the process. I've made several friends - even though we live thousands of miles apart - I consider them part of my life. I counted down to my surgical date. The last year has flown by.

My journey is well recorded on this thread. However, I thought I would cover my life in the last month. My DH and I have returned from a 3 week, 3,000 mile road trip. We camped along the way in our Volkswagon camper van (our only vehicle). The passenger seat is 3 feet off the ground and one of the challenges I had in rehab was to be able to just climb into that passenger seat. It was very difficult. A friend built me a special step stool that eventually made that possible. We took the stool along on our holiday - it was a good coffee table when we were sitting outside at our campsites - that's all. DH and I spent hours exploring the plains and grasslands of our country, walking trails and hills with our cameras. It was a fabulous trip and one that I wouldn't even attempted in the last several years. I'm still healing - I know that. Bad habits have returned since I've come home - stairs one step at a time. But, I know they are habits and I'm working at breaking them again.

I'm back in aquafit 3 times a week. We processed 90 lbs. of blueberries a week ago for the freezer - I eat a lot of blueberries ;-) I stood for the 3 hours it took us to do them without a problem. A year ago 10 minutes was my limit. In a couple of weeks we go to Pacific Rim National Park, on the west coast of Vancouver Island. We've been going there for over 25 years. The beach is 10 km. long and I used to walk it a couple of times each visit. I have barely been able to walk far from the parking lot in the last few years but this year - who knows how far I'll be able to walk. This beach is the reason I finally gave in and had my surgery and the carrot I've had dangling in front of my nose throughout my journey!

I've had an amazing recovery so far - I know I'm lucky and others have had more challenges. I don't know how other's journeys will progress but I can say, without a shadow of doubt, mine was worth it.
 
It's wonderful to read such a great report - your recovery is a testament to your preparation before the surgery and persistence in recovery after. It's great to read how well you are doing - and how far to come! I'm sure it's also very helpful for those that are waiting for surgery - that they too will be able to get their life back! I'm glad your new knees are treating you well! :)
 
What a wonderful report!!! You know I needed to read it.... perfect timing!!!
 
I was thinking about you when I wrote it @iivesfam5 :yes: Time seems slow now - but you will be on the other side soon - only 3 more sleeps and we'll be talking about recovery!!! Why don't you set up your recovery thread on Wednesday night, ready for your first post when you are up to it after surgery.
 
That is my plan....... won't be long now and Lucy and Ethel will be born.....
 
Note to me:

It doesn't pay to be cocky! I thought I was just about back to normal and then this week we had house guests and all that that entails (read cleaning and cooking). We chatted late into the nights and I was up first to have tea ready, etc. when they got up. I was fine until after they left and then the level of utter fatigue I'd forgotten about, hit me. I was fine during our road trip, but this, somehow took more out of me. I guess it's being "on" most of the time. So, reminder to me - even at 8 months post BTKR my body is still healing at some deep level. I have to remember to pace myself as another set of company arrives a week from now.
 
Hope you are OK a similar weekend kits also about that deep level of stamina we had built up before in our busy lives which has been decades. Then for the first time its all quiet on activity for months and its lost just takes a wee while to find it again. Now where's that wining lottery ticket.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Threads Great 8 month report! It's lovely to hear about you doing all the things you were missing out on before the surgery. And although you still have some fatigue issues, you do sound as if you had a very busy time!

Huge hugs from over the Pole x
 
@Legin and @SuperSnapper - I should have remembered that wave of fatigue that can hit you. It's not as if I've never had it before with other surgeries. This time it really threw me because I was 8 months out and had just been on a wonderful 3 week road trip. I was just doing normal things, but concentrated - that's what surprised me! Thanks for the words of support!
 
We're out on the west coast of Vancouver Island which is the big island off the coast of British Columbia, Canada - next stop Japan! The day after we arrived I accomplished the first part of my dream for my new knees - I walked about 7 km. on Long Beach - a 10 km. beach of pure white sand. Barefoot all the way, mostly with my feet in the ocean. My dream is to walk the whole 10 km. like I used to. After a lazy day in between, today we went to Hot Springs Cove (on an island about 1 hour by boat north of where we are camped). We were up at 6:00 am and on the road by 7:15 and saw a bear, sea otters, eagle nests and a grey whale on the trip to and from the Hot Springs. The trail from the wharf to the Hot Springs was about 4 km. return and involved about 1,500 steps along a wooden boardwalk through an old growth forest, mostly without a rail. The Hot Springs themselves were a bit of a challenge because you had to scramble over rocks to climb down to the pools. I didn't trust myself fully there and ended up making it to one pool but I didn't stay long as the tide was coming in. I can't believe what I'm able to do. It does wear me out but I hope my stamina will increase the more active I am. A new day tomorrow and another trail I haven't been able to go on for several years!
 
Thank you for this report.
It's so good to hear that your BTKR has given you back the life you want. :yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:

By posting this, you have shown that a full and active life is indeed possible after a TKR. That's so encouraging for people earlier in their recovery.
 
Yay! You did it in style - walking on the beach all that way!

I am so very happy for you. I expect to see photos soon. Doug must be really proud of you too.

big hugs via the Pole to my determined friend xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom