Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the positive thoughts! The 22nd will be here soon!! See, I'll do anything to get out of work, LOL. :)
 
I am amazed that you are able to kneel, even on a mat. It took almost a year before I could kneel on my right knee. I tried with this new knee, and it is not ready yet. That in itself is a great achievement.
 
Today, I walked the 5K MS Walk for my DIL and another friend who has progressive MS. For some reason, there is a higher percentage of Canadians with MS than any other nationality. Once again I was reminded of how lucky I am to have had a problem with my knees that was fixable with today's medicine. My hope and dream is that a cure for MS will come in my lifetime.
 
@Threads For some reason I don't get alerts anymore :blackcloud: However, I thought I would visit your thread and there you are walking 5km! Wow! That's so good! I am seriously impressed and how wonderful that you can do that now. Many congratulation.

I love seeing your photos and Digital Doug's. Keep them coming please. I am off to France and Switzerland this week so expect wine and mountain ones from me soon!

I just posted my 6 months report which is really "nothing to report" because I am fine. Agree totally with your comment about how lucky we are to be fixed by this surgery. My grandma had such bad arthritis that she was confined to bed from her middle years and died prematurely. How things have moved on!

My wonderful sister-in-law has been diagnosed with breast cancer recently and it's been good to be able to support her, take her to appointments etc. She's doing well but it has given us all a scare and it really does make every day even more special.

Anyway, all the family are here for a barbecue this afternoon so prep to do and wouldn't you know it, it's dull, cold and overcast!

Have a wonderful day whatever you are doing

Big hug winging its way over the Pole

Mary x
 
Congratulations on such an achievement and for such a worthy cause. I had a hard time yesterday walking the mega hardware store to get a push broom. It seems that I have a spot of pain just below the knee and when I stand it hurts, takes a bit to go away once I start to walk. You amaze me. :wow:
 
@Threads It's great to see how far you've come in 6 months! I too hope they will find a cure to MS!
 
Thank you to my special cheerleaders - @SuperSnapper, @fiberlady and @ljrfrm! My left knee was a bit swollen and sore going in, so I'm not surprised that I'm a bit more sore today! I snuck out 15 minutes early from my aquafit class this morning and will ice while I visit with a friend who is coming over to help my get started on another pair of toe up socks knitted on one circular needle, at the same time. It's like BTKR - you get them both done at the same time ;-). They are going to be in a merino/silk blend yarn that I've been saving. We're heading out on a road trip in two weeks - over the mountains and to the prairies. The socks will be my knitting project for the trip.

@SuperSnapper - I can't believe it's almost time for you to head off on your trip. Will you be doing any cycling this time? I'm so looking forward to seeing some photos of wine country and the charming mountain towns of Switzerland. I'm sorry to hear about your SIL - that is one disease that now can, with luck, be beaten, thank goodness. Our youngest DIL had a battle with it about 6 years ago and she is strong, healthy and running marathons now. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy the freedom your new knee gives you. Hopefully, we'll hear from you when you get back!

Later in the day .........

@fiberlady - I always have a problem of convincing my knees I want them to move after I've been sitting a bit. You are doing so much better than you were, a couple of months ago you wouldn't have gone shopping for a broom!

@ljrfrm - I hope you acted like royalty today, sitting on your throne (recliner) and allowed them to serve your (almost) every need. How was the BBQ dinner that was prepared for you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads I ended up going to the BBQ at the neighbor's house. I didn't stay long - long enough to eat some delicious food though. Then I came home, and I'm back in my recliner with my trusty ice machine. It was nice to get out, and I felt pretty good. I am about to take some pain medication - but this is the first one in 7 hours - so it's definitely improving!! It's a great feeling tonight though, knowing that I don't have to go to work tomorrow, and that I have all week to baby my legs.
 
WOW - it sounds like you have turned a corner! That's awesome!!!! Great idea going to the neighbour's, that way there weren't a pile of dishes waiting to be washed at your house.

Do you have the whole week off? That's great because it will give you quality time in your recliner to get on with some icing and healing. I had a nice visit with my friend but haven't progressed on my knitting :-( I'll have to redo the cast-on. Too much talking and not enough concentration. Sleep well tonight and take the pain Medes, if you need them ;-)
 
I am feeling the pain now - and just took the meds. I think I waited just a little bit too long to take them. I am taking the whole week off from work. I want to concentrate on icing and elevating, which I can't do at work. Plus, my recliner has missed me!! (cue music "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb)

Glad you had a nice visit with your friend......the knitting will come!
 
morning @Threads!
Sandra, Your trip sounds great. I will expect mountain views and wide prairie landscapes then?

Your mention of knitting socks put me in mind of my dad, dead for over 41 years now, but he used to knit his own socks and my brothers' school socks every winter. He had a really old circular knitting machine that he found in a junk shop and got working. He would spend ages looking over yarn samples and then always ordered what to me seemed the same one. They came in big skeins and I would help him put them onto cones via a weird contraption that fixed on his machine. He then spent about a month in the front bedroom knitting socks - enough to last twelve months. He was entirely self taught and I know he always found turning the heels to be taxing. Thanks for mentioning the socks cos it brought back lovely memories of watching my dad.

No, we aren't cycling this time but lots of mountain walking and swimming in the most wonderful pool complex
broken link removed: https://www.engadin.com/wellness-gesundheit/baeder/engadin-bad-scuol/?R=1&S=1 I am so looking forward to it. Last time we went the knee wasn't up to the walking far so this time I'm hoping to see a lot more.

Catch up when we both get back. Take care on your holidays but have a wonderful time.
Polar hugs flying your way

Mary x
 
You are so right, just one month ago I would not even have attempted to go get that broom. I have been doinf yard work and the knee is actually feeling pretty good, I think it likes the stretches I do when I bend over to pick the weeds, not a pretty sight but good for the knee.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, i am headed for my dye workshop in a week and a half and then two weeks after that we leave for our three week trip. Enjoy your time away.
 
WOW - what a trip you are going to have! The Spa looks fabulous and the views! It will be fun to see photos of your holiday.

Our trip will be rustic, to say the least. We'll count ourselves lucky if a campground has flush toilets and in "heaven" if we stumble across one with showers ;-). We plan to stay at provincial campgrounds, right in the forest and often right beside a river. We will check into a commercial campsite if we haven't found showers and when we need to do laundry. When we pull into our campground we'll "pop our top" raise the van's roof, turn the front seats around and voila, we have a living room/kitchen. At night the back seat pulls out and we unfold our bed. There is only room for one of us to move around, once that happens ;-)

Your story of your Dad making socks on a sock machine made me smile. I have a friend who found an old one, and she managed to get it going - she can churn out a sock quite quickly and out of the fabulous yarn that knitters have available to them now. Your Dad would really have had fun choosing his yarn today but would probably go back to the yarn he was comfortable using. Turning the heel, no matter whether by machine or hand is always a bit challenging. It will take me months to knit these socks - I'm not one of these knitters who is always knitting. It's hard to do when you're sitting at a loom weaving or reading a book ;-)

Have a fabulous holiday, and we'll touch base when we are both back at home.

Big hug back at you via the polar route!
 
@fiberlady - sounds like things are improving, try not to be so hard on yourself! If gardening helps, I've got some weeds that need attention! We leave for our trip the same weekend of your workshop and will be back probably before the beginning of July. It's a long time since we've done a road trip, but we're too king forward to it. Being able to ice is a bit of a concern. We don't have a freezer in the van, just a fridge.

Have you taken a Blazing Shuttle workshop before? The warp in your avatar looks like it could have been dyed at one.

Be kind to yourself so that you have the stamina to enjoy your workshop and your big trip ahead.
 
It is amazing what one little thing can do to help. When I went away after my first knee I bought these ice packs that the sports people use, you break them and they are like little freezer packs, I don't remember what they are called, you could try those. I plan on getting some for our trip.

Yes, that warp is a blazing shuttles warp from her workshop I took last June. Now I will learn her technique of dyeing. I am so looking forward to it. I just picked up some bamboo/cotton at Heritage last week and will try to make another warp before I go. If not, I can dye it later this summer.

Have a great trip. Hope you are able to connect on bonesmart while you are gone to give us updates on how things are going.
 
Threads, when are you leaving on your trip?? I miss camping - we used to go often. It's so relaxing. I look forward to seeing pictures of our trip!!

So, we are hoping to take Alaska cruise at some point. My friend that lives outside of Vancouver often posts photos, and it looks gorgeous there. I'm convinced now we also need to spend a week visiting Vancouver and surroundings as well as the cruise. So pretty.

I agree with others that you should have a "back up" form of icing if needed. My husband also has emergency ice for his soccer players. You just break it open and it gets cold. I also like the "baggie" idea - take some Ziploc bags and you can always ask to fill it at a gas station or fast food restaurant.

Speaking of icing - I better go ice right now!!
 
@fiberlady - I had thought of those emergency ice packs but thought they might be a bit expensive to use everyday. I had looked at the ice bags that @Pumpkln suggested before but thought about it again. It says that they will keep ice cold for a long time and I can always take a ziplock bag into a coffee shop, and with a sad face, ask if I can buy a bit of ice for my poor old knees :heehee: They won't have ice at the small provincial campgrounds because there usually isn't an office/store. The big bags of ice are huge and perfect for coolers but we have an electric "fridge" in the van. Anyway, I've just ordered two of the rubber ice bags from Amazon.ca and they should be delivered by June 4th and we leave on the 7th. I'm looking forward to getting out of the city and into the woods ;-)

@ljrfrm - trust you had a good day at home, curled up in your recliner with a good book. I'll send you an invite to my Flickr page and that way you will see photos, eventually, of our trip. We do live in a beautiful part of the world. I do miss the charm, history and fall colour of Quebec but I certainly don't miss the snow! I can't remember getting snow days growing up - I trudged to school in my uniform and usually bare legs, luckily the school was close. I'll take west coast rain anyday. I hope you do plan time in Vancouver as well as Abbotsford. You have tour guides waiting for you in both places.
 
I plan on ordering one of those rubber ice bags also. I figure it will be put to good use. I have gone i to a tim hortons and mcdonalds and begged for ice. Luckily we will be staying in hotels this trip so we will have acess to ice. Your trip sounds awesome. I have been weaving on a friends table loom, to help her finish her samples from our diaper workshop. It is such a pretty pattern, I am having a good time. I really appreciate my new Jane loom, this is not as easy to weave on. My arms are getting tired from reaching for the levers.

Hope your knees behave themselves when you are on your trip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom