Bilateral TKR Nothing is Going to Stop Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads I'm having some headache issues as well. Mine started this past Friday at the gym - it's an exertion headache and I haven't ever had such a throbbing headache. It happened again on Tuesday so now I'm taking a break from the upper body work too. I feel like I'm falling apart. I still have a minor headache - I had my neck massaged yesterday (did a quick 20 min at the gym) and it's so tight and sore. So, I need to get to the chiropractor in the next day or two. I know it's all related and connected.

Thanks for remembering my OS appointment tomorrow - I will definitely update you. I'm hoping he doesn't just say "come back in 6 weeks" for a third time. I'm looking for some kind of answers - or at least treatment to what I can do to help my issues.

I made it over hump day! I had a subpoena to court today and spent much of the day sitting in the hearing, which was very hard to do with my knees feeling achey and stiff. Two more days and it's weekend!!
 
@Threads sorry to hear about the back problems and headaches. My husband has migraines which are really disabling so I understand a bit. I hope you get some relief for both problems soon but at least the knees are behaving themselves. I look forward to your photos and went to check on flickr.
Take care xxx
 
@Threads hope your headache is better and that you had a good guild meeting. Spent the day at our workshop with Diaper. Interesting subject and I have to say, everyone was impressed with my new loom and I love it, it will get used even when I am not taking workshops. So glad you suggested it. My knee on the other hand does not like sitting so long. I need to remember to get up and walk a bit.
 
Thanks, @fiberlady - my headache is finally responding to the massages. It's a tension headache and I have another massage tomorrow, hopefully the last one.

I'm so happy you are enjoying your Jane! If I were to buy another loom, that's what I would get but since I don't need one ............ I'll have to do some research into the Diaper Weave structure. I've certainly heard of it but don't know much about it. I've got snout 30" to go on another scarf on my table loom. Hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow - it's always slower weaving without the treadles ;-)

It sounds like your knee and hip are, on the whole, behaving themselves. That's great to hear.
 
Glad to hear your headache is easing up. My knee was pretty sore on Saturday, so on Sunday I wore the compression stocking and it helped a lot. Today I am icing, a little sore. Our instructor has done an extensive study on Diaper and said just about anything that is woven for the home is considered diaper. She has done so much research on the subject and supplied us drafts that were used specifically for household items. It was a very interesting workshop.
 
@fiberlady - I'm glad your new loom turned out to be all you wanted and needed with portability, etc. I've checked your blog and have seen the array of interesting samples. Lots of potential for future projects!

By the sound of things, your knee is happier in the compression stocking. You would have been sitting and not moving around much during the workshop, which wouldn't have helped :-(

I'm off for my "almost" 6 month appointment with the OS tomorrow (2 weeks early). I think he will be pleased with his handwork and my progress.
 
Hope your OS is happy with his work - I'm sure he will be!! 6 months sure went by quickly!
 
Today was a non-event in some ways but a very happy day in others. I had my 6 month appointment with my OS (2 weeks early). I had the usual x-rays with an additional one, lying on my stomach with my knees bent up to 90° to get an x-ray of my knees and their placement. I swear the OS only stayed with us for 30 seconds but DH says I'm exaggerating, he was with us for about a minute ;-) However, he had sent in one of his team first. That doctor looked at my knees, felt them for heat, checked on the bend and how straight they were and looked closely at the x-rays. He then said I was a poster person for BTKR. I feel so lucky that I've had such a successful experience with my surgery and recovery. I'll write a 6 month report on THE day. Thank you to everyone who held out a helping hand and a word of cheer along the way.
 
Glad it went well - and all is perfect!! Well deserved - and well earned! :)
 
@Threads What a lovely report! You have done so well. It's been a delight to get to know you. Thanks for all the support you have given me.

Great huge hug via Pole to a Superstar BTKR xxxxxx
 
I'm happy you are doing so well, you will enjoy your trip to Cypress Hills it lovely up there.
My Son just moved to Vancouver, he attends VanArts he loves it their.
 
Glad to hear you had a good six month check up. You did really well, I still do not think I could have managed getting both done at the same time. Congratulations, keep on moving
 
He then said I was a poster person for BTKR. I feel so lucky that I've had such a successful experience with my surgery and recovery.
That is a great report!!! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks so much for sharing---you have given others who are in the "Dark Days of Recovery" the hope they need to see that the light is at the end of the tunnel.
 
Six months ago right now I was headed into surgery. I've just been re-reading my journey during the early days of my recovery. Instead of repeating things I've already said, I thought I would do a then (before surgery) and now report.

Then - in the last year or two before surgery, I :
  • Had to park the car as close as possible to our destination
  • Couldn't walk very far without looking for a place to sit
  • Couldn't stand any length of time at all without my right knee caving on me
  • Couldn't stand and cook a full meal without leaning on the counter and taking breaks
  • Avoided stairs as much as possible
  • Couldn't walk around with my camera and do any outdoor photography
  • Couldn't walk the MS Walk for my DIL
  • Couldn't visit art galleries, museums or gardens because of the lack of seating every few feet ;-)
  • We didn't go on many holidays because of all if the above
  • Couldn't walk on the beach :-(
  • Lived on Tylenol for Arthritis
Now - 6 months out from BTKR
  • Don't even think about where we park
  • As long as my back is happy, can stand for hours (not just the 10 minutes I was wishing for)
  • Have walked a lot with my new camera and also walked 5 km in one go (not stopping to take photos)
  • Walked 7 city blocks, uphill, in 12 minutes and still had the "knee power" to enjoy an exhibit at the art gallery without looking for a seat!
  • Don't hesitate to do stairs - even though they are still a "work in progress".
  • Can sit on my chesterfield (sofa) with my feet crossed on the coffee table (such a bad habit but I thought it might be something I couldn't do post surgery).
  • Don't often think about my knees except when getting up after sitting too long (like in a restaurant or a meeting).
  • Back in full aquafit classes 3 times a week.
  • Can kneel on a mat to do certain exercises - as long as I'm not there too long.
  • Can go long periods without any pain killers.
Areas waiting for continued improvement:
  • IT Band issues on my left leg. Not painful or limiting but I'm aware that it's there.
  • Numbness on the outside of both knees. The area is getting smaller so improvement is on it's way.
  • Rising from low seating and toilets. I can do it but I'm still very aware of the "journey".
I spent so long thinking "I can't" that it's a constant mind game that I now play - but "yes I can!"

I'm really looking forward to our grandchildren's Sports' Day on Friday (without lugging a chair around), the MS Walk in two weeks (and not just walking around a short circle and heading back to the car) but walking the whole route and finally, this summer walking the beach on the far side of Vancouver Island in Pacific Rim National Park. Also, we are planning a road trip in our Westphalia in June - we haven't been on a camping road trip for several years and we are both really looking forward to it.

The journey continues and I want to thank my wonderful husband and all the BoneSmarties who "held my hand" along the way - @Celle, @referee54 and particularly @ljrfrm, @fiberlady and @SuperSnapper. You will never know how much it meant to me to have people I could reach out to who would understand.
 
:goodpost:What a great six month post. You have done so well. I can only hope that by six months I will be doing what you are. I am now just a little over 4 months and seeing some vast improvements. You have also been there for me through this journey and I thank you. Enjoy that camping trip, we are heading ourselves out to Spokane at the end of June, and I will be at the six month mark and hoping to enjoy Glacier National Park. We have so much to look forward to. :yes!:
 
What a lovely update, Sandra! I'm so glad that you are doing well and are able to appreciate the benefits of your surgery. It's good for others still in the early stages of recovery to be able to see that it was all worthwhile.

I'm happy to have been able to help you. :friends:
 
So glad you have come so far. It's hard to believe it's been six months - seems like we were just talking about what clothes you might want to wear after, or getting the house ready for surgery. We've now switched roles - and you are my inspiration! I hope to "catch up" to you - and someday we can do a long walk together! (on a beach would be nice!!!)
 
@ljrfrm - things will be looking up after the 22nd - I know they will!!! We'll have to plan that beach walk - wouldn't it be amazing if we could make it happen?

You made me smile about the clothes questions :yes: I didn't know whether I was coming home or going to rehab, so I didn't know what to prepare for! As it was, I got it wrong and sent my sister out to buy me some more yoga pants when she came to visit me. So much for sweating the small stuff :heehee: !
 
Oh, my! So exciting. Thank you for this update. It's so encouraging.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom