Guest viewing is limited

THR No More Setbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
New title: Gettin' Back to the Beach

Figuring out my new tens machine and watching surf videos. I wanta hit the waves so badly...virtual for now! I miss the beach so much.

How soon can ya'll walk on sand without mega pain? Ordered a new suit and board shorts yesterday.... Will be ready as soon as this damn scar heals to at least play in the waves. Body boarding and surf lessons will have to wait :( next summer I'm coming back here to tell all ya'll how I finally got on a longboard!!! Crutches really are excellent for building upper body paddling out muscles ;)

Check out my new fancy neck and low back pain fixer!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] No More Setbacks
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1436640907.263938.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 194
@Tweefishy now that looks like an awesome unit! Mine is smaller....but even that thing packs a punch if you turn the dials in the wrong direction! I hope you get to the beach this weekend. xo
 
@Tweefishy ~
Wow - just the stress from having all this stuff unresolved would be setting back my recovery.
Many, many years ago in a twelve step recovery program when I was having difficulty making decisions two things were stressed to me.
First was that I needed to be truthful. I didn't need to "tell all" but not being truthful would likely come around and bite me when I wasn't prepared.
Second was to look at decisions in terms of "What is the worst thing that can happen?". Could the decision result in causing me to possibly die, become seriously ill or hurt or that someone else might be hurt? Could it turn my world upside down? At the time, I couldn't choose which toothbrush to use in the morning - fixed that by throwing one of them out getting rid of one useless decision to ponder. But using the "worst thing" criteria has allowed me to go back to school (in my 30's), change careers, move to Arizona, change careers, change careers again, go back to school again (in my 50's), walk out of a toxic job situation (and also to make a few stupid mistakes). So sometimes the "worst thing" that can happen is that new opportunities are opened up for you.
Worrying about what to do can tie us up in knots while finally making the decision, even if it's the "wrong" one, lets us move on with the important things in life (like our hips and health).
 
@Tweefishy -I just read through your whole thread -what a time you are having! One thing I have accepted/learned in my old age is that sometimes it is easier to just lower my standards to those of men than get uptight about it - mostly with regards to house cleaning, tidiness and putting things back!
I was fortunate in that I had a cleaning woman come in once a week for four months. Otherwise someone else would have needed surgery.
Re Reading Material: You may find these books on the latest brain research interesting: The Brain That Changes Itself and The Brain's Way of Healing by Norman Doidge M.D.
I was in Santa Cruz in May of 2014 and tried surfing for the first time on my 68th birthday. I loved it and was amazed that I was able to get up on the board and ride it in! It was thrilling! I want to try again in the future when I am healed but I am scared about falling, twisting and dislocating. You don't seem to have any fear of that happening while surfing. How so?
I do hope you are able to get all of your troubles sorted out for the best -lots of good advice on this forum.
Hugs!
 
&grannydi - I don't know if I'll be able to surf, but dreaming about it sure gets me through bad days. Body boarding will be ok on the hip though as you lay in the board so no falling.

@desserthorses - as I lay here at 3 am, exhausted & in pain, your message hits home. I've changed careers once already by the universe forcing it upon me. I wish it was the right time for a flip, but I cannot handle that right now. I went from fertility treatments to a hip replacement, and hopefully still have time for miracle to happen. My husband is about to lose his dad from ALS, and my sister is also teetering on the edge from chemo/ radiation complications.. I can't handle anymore right now! I hope the universe is listening! My work meeting later today will unfold with ease. I will mantra this and pray for whatever is best for me will unfold with ease and grace.



RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Oh Tweefishy so sorry to read this. Just sending you lots of :console2: and to let you know I am thinking about you.
 
You have so much to deal with I cannot imagine how hard it must be. Mantras help and dreaming of better days. Surf's up!:surfer:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Tweefishy you poor thing. Life never seems fair. Im sorry for everything on your plate right now. Please let us know how employer conversation goes. Until then, hang tight little Fishstick. Xo
 
Thinking of you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you for your kind words @forestje, @grannydi, @donor and @PDA.
Yesterday was beyond rough. My father in law lives in Oregon which is a state allowing death with dignity. He has angrily stated a few times to me how he's so mad that one doc says he has less than 6 mos and the other gives a wishy washy you could live for yrs answer. Anyone would be angry at that, but something about the way he said 6 mos stuck with me.

I googled "6 mos terminal illness oregon", 1st item up, death with dignity criteria: He must have 2 docs confirm 6 mos, AND be of sound mind to obtain the prescription. Many other steps too like psych evals & waiting periods to make sure the patient is ready.
He's trapped in his body, cannot use arms at all, legs barely work, has to eat like a dog with his face in the plate, it's just awful. His heart and breathing have been problematic for a while. His brain and speech will be the next to go. If he doesn't go through the lengthy process for death with dignity while he's still of sound mind, he'll be forced to die in the most ungodly, horrible, slow death in a hospital bed. Inhumane on so many levels.
Broaching this topic with my husband yesterday was awful. He lost his brother and grandmother last year. Plus we lost both of my grandparents, and had to put down our beloved 12 yr old lab in March making it all the more difficult drawing analogies from each of these events. As if all this wasn't enough, I also had 2 miscarriages last year for a total of 4. We should be death and loss experts by now! Which sadly, we kinda are. Now his dad?!

I prepared my husband for what I believe his dad is already pursuing. We talked about both options, getting hospice involved to help his mom care for him, and cried. It's certainly not a vacation were doing in 2 wks when we go up there, and know there's a good chance it'll be the last time we'll see him alive.

All of this, puts my job issues, and hip pain, into perspective. If they're going to demote or fire me when I return, so be it. This will free me for something more amazing to come to come to me. I am sending out job manifestation mojo! Join me in job mantras and strength for my wonderful father in law. We need all the prayers, energy and strength we can find! My hip better be able to handle a 13 hr drive and a week of overuse in 2 wks (6wks post op by then).

Xoxox


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Mine, as well. Please know you are in our thoughts as you deal with everything.
 
Some very tough times when you need your own support! We are here for you @Tweefishy ! I know it's hard but please allow yourself time to focus on your own recovery. Your needs are important. A few weeks for a lifetime of no hip pain.
 
Thanks for the sentiments! I feel the love of you amazing survivors. ❤️

My job teleconference went better in some ways, and as expected in others. My job description will likely be revised to a more administrative job since crutches or canes are not allowed in production for safety reasons they state. This has not been an issue at my other jobs or before I left for surgery, but there you have it. This likely means I go from Sr level, calling the shots and making things happen, to paper shuffling. Administrative tasks mean yes I'll have a job to go back to, but not the job I'm qualified or capable of performing. I don't even want to know what will happen to my compensation, but it can't be good news.
There's nothing I can do but focus on healing for now and try not to have a total meltdown.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@Tweefishy wow that put things in perspective. There I was feeling sorry for myself having gone through hip op follow by complex foot op with 12 weeks immobile. Then read your brief account of the sadness all around you. You are brave to share it with us so thank you. I hope your father in law can have his wishes met. He must be a fine man to seek what is so right for him.

Warm vibes and lots of wishes for strength and wisdom to deal with it all. X
 
I think I just finally lost it last night. Was in a ton of pain from overdoing it this weekend, and the valve finally blew. Ms Copsham, you have every reason to be upset! Two legs not working right makes life incredibly difficult!!!! How are you doing? Did you get the IV out?


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom