Guest viewing is limited

THR No More Setbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please change my title to: Work vs More Time Off: how, when, demanding bosses


Thanks @Jacey for being straight with me, giving an example of yourself and re referencing the article. Much appreciated.. I keep thinking I can push it... Im young, healthy, and determined, and see others have returned to work full time without a problem, however, wanting to be healed is not the same as being healed.

My job is super demanding, full time means 12-14 hr days 6 days a week. And in terms of a hip, pretty physical with lots of walking back and forth, long periods of standing, bending, etc and long periods of sitting. Even going back part time is not an acceptable mentality at my job.

I fear losing my job but I don't want to mess up my hip. I've tried reconciling those differences in my head and it's a very stressful internal argument. Work does not know I had a hip replaced, only that I had surgery to fix a torn labrum. I told them it was more severe than originally expected, but did not spell it out. Again pros and cons, they can and likely will replace me if I'm out as long as suggested above, but hip is mine for life.

Any tips for handling work from any and all would be appreciated. I have to call them by Friday and tell them something and need to be stern in my decision by then so I don't let fear of losing a job force me in too soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a major issue with my employer post RTHR. They demanded I return at 4 weeks and I finally negotiated 6 weeks working from home. It just add so much more stress to what is already a stressful time. Do you have a good relationship with your boss? Can you be straight with them? Tell them to go on youtube and watch a vid of the op. This is major surgery and not something to take lightly! If you go back too soon you risk getting into a chronic pain situation. Waiting benefits everyone including your employer! Can you work from home at all?
 
Hi just catching up with your recovery. Which approach did you have?

I too have work concerns, I don't know why as my initial time given for sick time was just over 6 weeks, which takes me to end of July. Am also having sleep issues. Last night my eyes started going at 11 pm, I thought yes, sleep. I was still awake 2 hours later, wondering why.

I think you are too early for work especially on top of lack of sleep. That's also when mistakes can happen.

xx
 
@jacey, that is part of the problem, is it best to tell them I had a THR? I've learned in the past that less I for is better in terms of medical issues, but I'm on the fence with his one.

We discussed the labral tear surgery and management knew it was a 6-8 wk recovery yet hoping I could return at 4wks. I had found out at my last OS apt that the labrum was totally detached and the only option was RTHR. I did not change info with work since I figured they would panic and the healing times were about the same, 6-8wks.

Originally I was going to work part time from home after wk 2, but a few days before I left, they changed it and said i was not allowed to work until I can be in the office at least part time. My hour commute in bumper to bumper traffic stand in the way of any part time work in the office at this point since my driving leg is the operated leg.

This is incredibly stressful and no doubt a huge part of my lack of sleeping. In California, i can be replaced since I fill a critical function job. They do have to have a position for me upon return, but it does it have to be of the same function or the same compensation.

I'm leaning towards just telling them friday how I had an almost fall which set healing back a few weeks and leave it at that. Any tips?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Their ears must have been burning. HR just called. Eesh. Had to wing it. Now, hope for the best.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweefishy wow and you wonder why you can't sleep? If it were me I'd say due to extent of damage I had a hip replacement. Can you get OS to write a note??? I always require return to work notices for anything medical, other than obvious cold. I think most Surgeons would happily error on side of patient cautious behavior. CA is tricky for employment for sure. While we can't ask for personal details anyone who is out for several weeks needs to give a valid reason why signed by their doctor and if they cannot return in same capacity it gets complex. Can you get a specific note from OS? You need to come clean about extent of your disability I think. I see it from both sides... me being disabled for now, and from being the manger needing to keep it right for the boss. Uggg.
 
Good luck @Tweefishy what a nightmare situation. Not knowing the CA process of sickness and capacity to do original job , I cant even think of any advise. How did they take your wing it reply?
X
 
Just fyi.....my note was carefully written to say.....Chris Arnold is clear to return to prior duties for not more than 3-4 hours per day as tolerated until July end. It was specific enough and vague enough at the same time. The as tolerated is key as was mention of prior duties. Hope that helps some....
 
Thanks @donor. I will definitely keep the verbiage above for my doc.

I didn't tell HR about the hip replacement, just that surgery was more severe and almost falling in week 2 caused a setback in healing by a wk or 2. Even though they don't know the actual surgery because I know there will be a bias upon my return, I've been upfront with everything else including healing times.

I told HR again that I'm happy to work from home as originally agreed upon, so she is going to pusue that with my bosses to see if that do-able now that I'm going to be out longer. We shall see.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a horrible situation to be in with your work. Normally, I would say it is best to be totally honest about your surgery. But you know better than I what that might mean for your job. I just wouldn't want it to come out later that you didn't tell the truth about your surgery and have them hold THAT against you. In my employment, the untruthfulness would have been much more serious than the time off.

But......didn't you say they were expecting 6-8 weeks off? You're not even 4 weeks yet, so can't you just continue and take the 8 weeks if needed?
 
One thing to consider is that if you go back too soon, you risk slowing down your recovery. If you're not strong enough to be putting in that kind of time, you'll tire easily and be more at risk for a fall. Should that happen, you'll be out for even longer.

It is also possible to put yourself in a position of having chronic pain if you push yourself too hard too fast. You must live with this hip for many, many years and you want the healing to be successful. Please don't jeopardize your health for some manager's idea of how your healing should go.

I like the idea of having your surgeon prepare some type of document about your return to work. Most will be happy to do that for you and usually will allow you whatever time you believe you need. I would try that to get some relief from worry. That isn't helping you either!
 
@Jamie - it's a confusing mess, I know! Big boss anticipating 6-8 wk recovery, my boss wants me asap, HR confused (as am I) why I can't work from home part time, doctor note states 4 wks...which is the limiting timeline that must be changed asap.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi tweefishy
Be careful about returning to work so soon. My brain was fuzzy for quite a while. I tried to be normal and order things from Amazon and made several silly mistakes just because "I was not thinking straight". Can you try a mock day of working from home and see how your organisation/ concentration/ fuzziness is? Is there one sedentary, routine part of your job that you could do for your team - allowing them to do more of the running around? Obviously every job is so different so wish you luck!
 
@Jamie: Can we please change my thread title back to: No More Setbacks. The work stuff is going to unfold and I just stress more seeing it in print. The universe never gives you more than u can handle, right?

I had my first in clinic PT today. It went ok, I like the gal, she showed me some exercises to work up to, but then she confused the heck out of me...She said I should be off of all walking aides by the end of this week for all indoor walking. Outdoor walking, I can use cane or one crutch.
I just barely got walking good on the walker. But I tried today in my house with no aides and with the top half body swaying with each lumbering step, now my back hurts along with my hip. :(

Question: why when using a walker, do you walk fairly normal, but without, you sway like frankenstein? I barely put any wt on the walker so this makes no sense to me. I even tried walking with my arms out in front of me to simulate walker position, but it did not help. I looked like a crazy zombie stumbling around the house. And now the pain has set in. To me it seems walking with no aides is a bit farther down the road.... How about ya'll?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a reasonable amount is that wee bit of physical support, but its also a confidence thing and what your brain is saying. As you say you hardly put any pressure on walker but its like a grounding thing. Also you are putting more pressure on those up to now rarely used muscles so far in this process, and the worry that if I'm tired I can stop and rest on walker. You will be surprised how quickly your body adapts. But don't put yourself in danger.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin. Info hope my bodyboarders quickly or I may scare the neighbors into believing a zombie apocalypse is here!

I just read on someone's thread they used Benadryl to help fall asleep! Why didn't I think if that! Taking some now and maybe I'll finally sleep!

Good night.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Tweefishy ..I too have the same issue when walking without aides. I sway too, but not every time I walk unaided. Today I am swaying.. it also says somewhere on this forum that limping without sticks etc is not a good idea as you are not learning to walk properly. Assume this causes pain in other areas, like your back and also more pressure on your other hip.

I understand what you mean about the feeling you are not putting much weight on to the Walker, I am the same with crutches. It is truly strange, but it works and if you do not feel happy about letting go of your aid then don't. The PT is not walking around with your hip and your pain.... try out the stick in the home, it took me a while getting used to using one of those pre op, but now it's second nature. I have just ordered a second now I have 2 new hips. So will have to practice with those.

Today I decided to do a bit of leg swings out to the side, I only managed to do 5 and was in big pain, again in my right leg. I will not do that again for a few days, as I am now lying down with ice pack and just had tramadol and paracetamol, think I might even have a sleep.

hope you slept well xx
 
I am glad it's not just me. I had my op 3 weeks ago and have been a bit depressed to read how others are managing to walk so far, outside even and without aids. I am doing my exercises regularly and can manage to walk a short distance in the house with one crutch but not for long.
 
I only went without aides inside when I could walk without limping. Keep using them until you aren't swaying or limping. Maybe initially try putting less and less weight on them.

I also noticed I had better form early in the day vs late. If you need them, use them! You only get one time to get this recovery right!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom